Sponsored

Official: 2018 Ford Mustang Refresh Detailed! (Options/Features, Specs, Photos, Info)

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Yeah, that's why I took that picture. It's laughable that this still is a problem. Actually I don't believe they will fix that for the production model :tsk:
Unless they have gotten enough complaints (warranty returns) to warrant the costs associated with re-vamping the assembly tooling....it's not going to happen. It's only an issue for them when it starts affecting their wallet. It's a shame too, as it's likely not an expensive fix (relatively speaking).
Sponsored

tonyd1

US NAVY,US ARMY,USCG-RET
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Ruby Red PP,Automatic

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
It's not an engineering issue if most of the people who purchase a Mustang are more interested in straight line drag racing over technical courses, its simply a business decision. And its not just Ford that does it...

Why on Earth would you purchase the PP or PP2 options to go drag racing?

cgreen5150

cgreen5150
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, Premium, PP, Recaros
It's not just rotation.

A car engineered to handle and brake very well, with the majority of it's weight on the front wheels..........and the front wheels are narrower?

C'mon Ford, stop with the aesthetic choices to engineering issues. And search "under-steer" on Youtube.

Morons.
And the morons at Porsche, BMW, Ferrari, McLaren, Chevy, Dodge (I could go on forever) who all use wider wheels in the back of their performance cars....
They obviously have no clue what they're doing! :crazy:

Bay1Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic '15 V6 051a
They won't fix the window alignment unless it becomes a big deal outside of <1% of people who actually notice it. I have the same problem with my car, btw.

Sponsored

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
And the morons at Porsche, BMW, Ferrari, McLaren, Chevy, Dodge (I could go on forever) who all use wider wheels in the back of their performance cars....
They obviously have no clue what they're doing! :crazy:

Porsche, Ferrari and McLaren all have rear weight bias. There's a reason for the rear tires to be wider.

The rest are acting like morons, and going with aesthetics over dynamics. They want to be like Porsche, Ferrari and McLaren.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
That's not fair to single out Ford for this when every other manufacturer staggers the tires for their performance models also.
I don't give a fuck what other manufacturers are doing, I care what Ford does with the car I buy. They're all just like teenagers, doing what everyone else does.

It's simply stupid.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
It's not an engineering issue if most of the people who purchase a Mustang are more interested in straight line drag racing over technical courses, its simply a business decision. And its not just Ford that does it...

It sucks being the tail, but the dog wags the tail not vice versa.
No one buys a PP car to go drag racing with.

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Hey out of curiosity, any word on mpg for the 18's?

Sponsored

CompOface

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP Comp Orange / Daily 2010 F-150 5.4L
Porsche, Ferrari and McLaren all have rear weight bias. There's a reason for the rear tires to be wider.

The rest are acting like morons, and going with aesthetics over dynamics. They want to be like Porsche, Ferrari and McLaren.
I wouldn't say they are acting like morons, they are chasing profits. The general public sees the high end cars with staggered setups and says hey I wan't my car to look like that too! Nothing new here, what was the "latest and greatest" trends/fads/styles from higher dollar cars flowing down to lower dollar cars as time moves on.

It seems like we all know the general public is not as informed as most enthusiasts, but they do drive the market. So this may not be the best setup for what you want to do with the car, but (I hope) Ford believes this ascetic will drive sales. Plus wider rear means more power down, which isn't really a bad thing is it? For people who want to seriously track the car they swap out for aftermarket wheels anyways and can get the setup they prefer. There is no incentive for Ford to put wider wheels up front... simple as that.

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
Plus wider rear means more power down....

No it doesn't. Rear tires don't need to be wider than the front to put power down. If the front tires were 335mm would the rear tires need to be wider to put power down?

If the 1LE can have a square tire setup then Ford should be able to put together a performance package that will be used as intended.

CompOface

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP Comp Orange / Daily 2010 F-150 5.4L
No it doesn't. Rear tires don't need to be wider than the front to put power down. If the front tires were 335mm would the rear tires need to be wider to put power down?

If the 1LE can have a square tire setup then Ford should be able to put together a performance package that will be used as intended.
I didn't say anything in relation to the front tire size. I simply stated that the wider the rear tire the more power it can put down. In what world does a smaller rear tire allow more power to be put down than a wider tire? Man if that were the case I sure could really shave down my tire budget :frusty:

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
I didn't say anything in relation to the front tire size. I simply stated that the wider the rear tire the more power it can put down. In what world does a smaller rear tire allow more power to be put down than a wider tire? Man if that were the case I sure could really shave down my tire budget :frusty:

You said wider......as in wider than the front. Otherwise what would that mean? Wider than what? If you're going to put a wide rear tire on the car then put the same size tire on the front.

williamwally

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 gt
Technically even the 1LE went away from a square setup:

ZL1 1LE: 305/30ZR19 front, 325/30ZR19 Rear
SS 1LE: 285/30ZR20 front, 305/30ZR20 rear
V6 1LE: 245/40R20 front, 275/35R20 rear tires
Sponsored