Sponsored

Official: 2018 Ford Mustang Refresh Detailed! (Options/Features, Specs, Photos, Info)

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Anyways back to the 2018. Has anyone seen Orange Fury in person yet? I saw the video a few pages back, but those auto show lights never do a bright color justice IMO. Curious to see how it compares to comp O. I also haven't seen any pictures of it out in natural sunlight except for the ones of the Ford site.
Fury Orange is metallic, Comp Orange isn't. In one of these threads there was a close-up photo of FO and you could really see the metallic in it.
Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I really don't get the long hood/hard to see over as a negative. It is a muscle car!
In case you haven't noticed, even true muscle cars (Chevy's SS sedan and Dodge's Charger) have outgrown their straight line only focus. The nimbler ponycars - the term was more or less invented by the Mustang - never were just about big engines and tall hoods. In particular, the Mustang has had corner-carving genes in its DNA almost since the beginning (Shelby's original GT350 and Ford's original Boss 302).

These days, even the "true muscle cars" are a lot better at turning corners and being useful as . . . cars. Part of what makes that easier on the street as well as at on a road course is improved sightlines. IOW, not so much guesswork about where the edge of the pavement is.

When you're on a real road that has curves and hills, compromised sightlines = compromised driving = less margin against poo happening even if you're driving slower (arguably not what you're supposed to have to be doing with all that muscle).

picture.jpg

Personally, I don't want to see much more hood than necessary, and that red line (crudely drawn) would be way past unacceptable at half the height shown. The Mustang I bought, and any Mustang I might buy in the future will be bought mainly for its overall performance potential, some of which is hinted at in the picture.

Norm

JohnD

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 track day car
As Woody might have said, "Mr. Peterson, you always make such good sense."

CompOface

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP Comp Orange / Daily 2010 F-150 5.4L
In case you haven't noticed, even true muscle cars (Chevy's SS sedan and Dodge's Charger) have outgrown their straight line only focus. The nimbler ponycars - the term was more or less invented by the Mustang - never were just about big engines and tall hoods. In particular, the Mustang has had corner-carving genes in its DNA almost since the beginning (Shelby's original GT350 and Ford's original Boss 302).

These days, even the "true muscle cars" are a lot better at turning corners and being useful as . . . cars. Part of what makes that easier on the street as well as at on a road course is improved sightlines. IOW, not so much guesswork about where the edge of the pavement is.

When you're on a real road that has curves and hills, compromised sightlines = compromised driving = less margin against poo happening even if you're driving slower (arguably not what you're supposed to have to be doing with all that muscle).

Personally, I don't want to see much more hood than necessary, and that red line (crudely drawn) would be way past unacceptable at half the height shown. The Mustang I bought, and any Mustang I might buy in the future will be bought mainly for its overall performance potential, some of which is hinted at in the picture.

Norm
While I agree with what you are saying, never said a word about going fast in a straight line. My point about a tall pronounced hood is that it is a part of the design that communicates power, and usually power via displacement.

At least finally someone got the point I was trying to make. You know what you are buying so don't complain that the hood is too hard to see over. As you said, your next purchase will keep your goals for the car in mind BEFORE you buy it instead of complaining about an oversight after the fact. That tall hood was there in the brochures, was there during the test drive and didn't go anywhere while you signed the paperwork. Personally I love the look and don't see any issues with the sightlines, but I've only owned mine for a month. My only issue with the 2018 (since that is what this thread is about) is the front fascia, still holding full judgement until I see it in the flesh.

Sponsored

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Pony car. Muscle car. Sports car. I just call it a Mustang. I'll let everyone else sweat the category it belongs in.:shrug:

GTRacerX.

The Masked Racer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rex
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT Premium PP
Category ...

Pony car. Muscle car. Sports car. I just call it a Mustang. I'll let everyone else sweat the category it belongs in.:shrug:
I would say "Just Kicking Ass" but thats just me. :lol::lol::lol:

sebounet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 conv gt auto, var exhaust,shaker, safety pack
[ame]

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.

Sponsored

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
Pinto and Maverick were Pony cars, the Mustang has evolved into a muscle car, and anybody in the race scene knows this.
Um ok...whatever you say.

TheReaper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shadow Black GT
I watched the video, where's the Mach 1 ?

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/black stripes
Thank you. I hate the pedantic squabbling about these labels. They are imprecise. Nobody can say exactly what they mean, unlike some more specific labels like coupe or roadster, that do have specific meanings.

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/black stripes
At least finally someone got the point I was trying to make. You know what you are buying so don't complain that the hood is too hard to see over. As you said, your next purchase will keep your goals for the car in mind BEFORE you buy it instead of complaining about an oversight after the fact. That tall hood was there in the brochures, was there during the test drive and didn't go anywhere while you signed the paperwork. Personally I love the look and don't see any issues with the sightlines, but I've only owned mine for a month. My only issue with the 2018 (since that is what this thread is about) is the front fascia, still holding full judgement until I see it in the flesh.
I refuse to cede the right to complain about something just because I bought it.
Sponsored