Sponsored

Need help quickly: Backup camera issue

OxFord6G

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT Premium + PP
Today, on a couple of occasions, when I put the car in reverse the reverse camera would flicker on and off or not come on at all. I have a '16 with manual transmission and SYNC3. When the backup camera was not working it would show the SYNC3 home screen similar to the image at the bottom of my post (which is what it was on prior to shifting into reverse). I never got a blank screen or any kind of error message.

After getting home I was able to shift into reverse several times and the camera came on normally every time. I'm asking for quick responses on what might be causing this seemingly random issue because I'm supposed to have my MGW short shifter installed on Monday and if there's an issue that I might need to see the dealer about I want to have it done before getting the shifter installed so the dealership doesn't hassle me about it. Thanks for any help!

-Ho1TKNpp2vVPM_oM9RIfjluD_U.jpg
Sponsored

SoCalTim

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Sold : 15 GT
Have you at any point removed the rear decklid?

I'd be inclined to check and make sure the camera wiring connection is OK.

Failing that, it could be a fault with the back up camera itself, but you will need to rule out any possible wiring issues before knowing if that is the case.

OP
OP
OxFord6G

OxFord6G

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT Premium + PP
I haven't ever removed the decklid. I did notice that there is a small gap immediately above the camera between the decklid and the metal of the trunk. I washed my car a couple of days ago but the camera worked after that and, since the issue earlier today (which was two occasions of driving it with the car turned off in between), has worked since then.

I can pull the decklid off and check the connection and see of there is any kind of visible issue with the wiring.

NvrFinished

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GTPP
I had this issue after a real spirited drive with a group through our local mountains. We arrived at a restaurant and my back up camera didn't work. Just like you, nothing on the screen changed. When I came back out an hour later it worked fine. I still don't know what happened :shrug:
Sponsored