Sponsored

Sync2 -> Sync3

smdandb2

ManBearPig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Toyota Corolla SE
I want to do this sooo badly, but not badly enough to fork out $1700 for it.

I don't mind Sync2 that much, but after playing around with Sync3 I really like it... aside from that stupid white theme.
Sponsored

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
OMG, $1,700 really? Is that if you have to buy other things or just the basic swap? Like I have a fully loaded EB with 201A, Premium, Navigation, backup camera, not sure what needs to be there but it's there. Would it be that much just to change it out?

mindys

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mindaugas
Vehicle(s)
2020 VW GTI SE
Awesome!! Yeah I'll definitely let you know if I run into trouble. Is there anything you think I should be aware of, or was it a pretty straightforward install?
The only thing that is annoying is getting the top center cover off in the dash where the GPSM module is. It may take a good amount of effort to do it without breaking clips. I broke one, but I had replacements. If this is your first time removing interior trim, get replacement clips if you care about rattles. The part number is W717661-S300. There are yellow and blue clips, but they are exactly the same.

mindys

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mindaugas
Vehicle(s)
2020 VW GTI SE
OMG, $1,700 really? Is that if you have to buy other things or just the basic swap? Like I have a fully loaded EB with 201A, Premium, Navigation, backup camera, not sure what needs to be there but it's there. Would it be that much just to change it out?
There are two sites that offer full swap kits which include the screen, APIM, USB hub, power adapter for the said hub, and a GPS antenna. Non-nav kits are around $1,599.99, and nav kits reaching up to $2,199.95. Too damn expensive if you ask me. I bought the screen and APIM with nav from a member here and the got all the other components from other sources. Cost me much less. Now I love it!

You can also get Sync 3 modules from other Ford cars, but you will need them to be reprogrammed by [MENTION=20927]OEMRadio[/MENTION] for it to work correctly with the Mustang.

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Can't I just get the APIM? I already have a big screen and antenna. I know I'd have to get the USB hub but that's only like $56 I think.

Sponsored

smdandb2

ManBearPig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Toyota Corolla SE
Can't I just get the APIM? I already have a big screen and antenna. I know I'd have to get the USB hub but that's only like $56 I think.
The screen is different. Sync3 uses a capacitive touch screen if I recall correctly.

mindys

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mindaugas
Vehicle(s)
2020 VW GTI SE
I don't think that switching the APIM will work. I cannot tell you 100%, but I would expect them to have made a few changes that would cause the APIM from Sync 3 to not work with the screen from Sync 2. You would need to ask someone with better knowledge about the units. :shrug:

I also know that the antenna will not work. No matter what, you need it replaced. The antenna is cheap, like $10.

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
The screen is different. Sync3 uses a capacitive touch screen if I recall correctly.
The screen on my Sync 2 is capacitive too. Could still be different though.

mindys

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mindaugas
Vehicle(s)
2020 VW GTI SE
The screen on my Sync 2 is capacitive too. Could still be different though.
No, it's a resistive screen for Sync 2. Unless the nav units have a different screen.

Sponsored

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
No, it's a resistive screen for Sync 2. Unless the nav units have a different screen.
I'm pretty sure it's capacitive but not positive. I know you can't use the screen if you have gloves on. If it's a different screen then it doesn't make much difference though. I was hoping it would be MUCH less expensive. Since I already had all the features to start with.

raider5oh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
92 5.0 SSP coupe, and 15 Gt w/PP
Car-part.com is a good spot to look. I purchased my whole MFT Sync 2 conversion off there back in 2015 when they were scarce.I have seen a few mustang, Taurus, escape sync 3 screens/apims come up but you have to call or email them cause they do go fast. Also eBay is a good source but OEMradio told me that some of the Nav units are fake. I have seen Nav Apims w/ screens going for around 1000$ on there from reputable people if you pm me i can give you a couple people to follow that some times list them.

mindys

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mindaugas
Vehicle(s)
2020 VW GTI SE
I'm pretty sure it's capacitive but not positive. I know you can't use the screen if you have gloves on. If it's a different screen then it doesn't make much difference though. I was hoping it would be MUCH less expensive. Since I already had all the features to start with.
Got you. Another way to tell would be how much pressure you need to put on the screen for it to respond. With a capacitive screen all you have to do is just touch the screen without having to place any force on it to register the input, while the resistive one you have to give a press for your input to be registered.

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Got you. Another way to tell would be how much pressure you need to put on the screen for it to respond. With a capacitive screen all you have to do is just touch the screen without having to place any force on it to register the input, while the resistive one you have to give a press for your input to be registered.
Yeah, I barely have to touch the screen, sometimes I wonder if I really did.

mkenny28

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Mustang GT Premium Convertible
I want to do this sooo badly, but not badly enough to fork out $1700 for it.

I don't mind Sync2 that much, but after playing around with Sync3 I really like it... aside from that stupid white theme.
You may be able to get it for much cheaper now but if you need Nav I wouldn't think it would be too much cheaper. You have to swap out the entire Sync Unit (Screen and Apim) in order to upgrade. The cabling is all the same so you don't have to splice or anything; it is a direct swap. It is an expensive swap which is why I am pretty sure Ford doesn't offer the upgrade. Apparently the units are just so expensive to buy from Ford; At least one person on these threads found a unit in a junkyard and paid less than 500.00 for it but that seems to be few and far between.

Having said all that, in my opinion Sync 3 is a huge upgrade over MFT and worth what I spent (to me).
Sponsored