Sponsored

Die hard Manual guys get in here!

bigjohns97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT 401a M6 RR
So I will be purchasing a new 2018 gt PP this fall and am kinda torn about this new 10-spd auto coming out. Hearing about all of the camaro stories and expecting that the auto will be quicker (not to mention this getrag i have now 2011 GT has been the worst manual I have ever owned) has me leaning towards the auto for the first time ever since i have been driving sports cars.

Autos have come a long way in the last 20 years and now it looks like they may be converting this die hard manual guy and I am wondering if I am alone or if there is anyone else out there in the same boat.

92 fox gt
01 camaro SS
11 mustang GT / PP
18 Mustang GT ?
Sponsored

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
only time i'll drive an auto is if i can basically lock it to sequential and leave it there I don't want a computer changing gear for me.

chain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT
So you want die hard manual guys to tell you, apparently a not so die hard manual guy, what to do?

I vote stick with the manual, still more fun to drive any day of the week.

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
Depends what you're after in your car and what type of "relationship" you want with your car.

If you're driving it to win races then the auto.

If you're driving it because you like to be involved in the experience of driving it, then the manual.

I know after I leased my 2005 BMW 330i in auto, I missed the manual a day or 2 later.

Test drive them both if you're in-between somewhere is my suggestion.

OP
OP
bigjohns97

bigjohns97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT 401a M6 RR
So you want die hard manual guys to tell you, apparently a not so die hard manual guy, what to do?

I vote stick with the manual, still more fun to drive any day of the week.
Yeah dude that is what is going on here. :crazy:

Sponsored

swat 79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
If you're bracket racing competitively, go with the Auto. For anything else (outside of stop and go traffic), you'll want the manual. Keep in mind, since 2011 there have been significant improvements to the transmission/shifter, and in 2018 there will be more improvements.

OP
OP
bigjohns97

bigjohns97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT 401a M6 RR
Depends what you're after in your car and what type of "relationship" you want with your car.

If you're driving it to win races then the auto.

If you're driving it because you like to be involved in the experience of driving it, then the manual.

I know after I leased my 2005 BMW 330i in auto, I missed the manual a day or 2 later.

Test drive them both if you're in-between somewhere is my suggestion.
I am looking to hopefully spend some extended time as you suggest, and I agree if I was a BMW guy i would have been tempted by the auto much earlier than now.

Just hasn't been much to tempt on the pony car side with an auto until this latest 10 speed.

Never even really considered an auto until now, just can't even imagine not having a manual.

foghat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
I have been pretty much manual only forever.

My next car will likely be a Golf R or the 2018+ mustang. If R, I will be going dsg, if mustang, I will be going 10 speed auto.

Eisman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Mustang.... Duhhhh
I don't know how to drive an automatic :(

TURTL3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 LB Mustang 3.7 6MT
If you've been rowing your own gears for years, I give it 3 months MAX before you get bored with the auto.

Without a clutch, my left foot just gets bored. I miss the rev match down shifts too. So it's manual all the way for me. One isn't better than the other, but if you're used to manual I'm telling you man, you're going to get bored.

Sponsored

AlexhadanM3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Blue
Only way I would get an automatic is if its a dual clutch. Otherwise I would get it in manual. Just wish these cars had auto rev matching like the camaro.

OP
OP
bigjohns97

bigjohns97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT 401a M6 RR
OK you guys are pulling me back from the void, I really don't care about the auto cruise control for traffic situations, I only use cruise on road trips.

So what are any of you manual guys doing for remote start, is there some third part option out there?

Monopoly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2012 Civic Si
I test drove an Auto fully loaded GT premium package convertible at the dealer which they tried to sell me. It was super nice but no thanks. (couldn't afford it anyways lol)

Didn't even test drive the manual MT-82 and bought one anyways. I feel it is a better driving experience and manual always will be. Even for my daily drivers.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Yeah, the MT82 is a shit transmission. But supposedly the new MT82 has a dual clutch in it, to aid shifting.

What I don't like is what I've heard about the gear ratios in the new MT82.

OP
OP
bigjohns97

bigjohns97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT 401a M6 RR
Yeah, the MT82 is a shit transmission. But supposedly the new MT82 has a dual clutch in it, to aid shifting.

What I don't like is what I've heard about the gear ratios in the new MT82.
Yeah that is promising and as others have suggested it was never the mt82 but the clutch that was the weak point.

Please do share on what you have heard about the ratios?
Sponsored