Sponsored

12 Things from a Chat with Ford’s Mark Fields and Raj Nair (GT500 was one topic)

flaps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 WRX
Ford Mustang GT500

Is there any reason why a 600-hp twin-turbo V-6 would not fit in a Mustang engine compartment?

“I’m sure somebody could find a way to fit a twin-turbo into a Mustang, but we’re pretty happy with the 5.2 V-8 we’ve got in the 350 now,” Nair said. “It’s quite an engine.” He disputed the idea that the engine has reached its horsepower limit and cannot compete with the Camaro ZL1. “You know what they say about internal combustion engines—that they are always at the end of what they can do—and somehow we always find a way to do a little bit more. I think we still have a little bit more life in that engine.” As for the idea of competing with the ZL1 with a V-6 when muscle car buyers love their naturally aspirated V-8s, Nair said that might be true for some buyers but not all. “I think we’ve shown with our EcoBoost technologies, in the F-150 and in the Ford GT, that you can deliver the performance and the technology, and they appreciate it.”
http://www.motortrend.com/news/12-things-learned-chat-fords-mark-fields-raj-nair/
Sponsored

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
The 5.2 Flat Plane Crank Voodoo has upgrades scheduled for the near future. It is speculated that Equal Length Shortie Headers, Direct/Port Injection and some internal upgrades are incoming.

The UAW Contract states that upgrades are intended for the FPC 5.2 V8.

As for the GT500, he talked about two different things separately. He acknowledged the fact that any big Mustang "needs a V8" AND, reiterated on the proven Ecoboost technology... without saying "Ecoboost" and "V8" and "GT500" in the same sentence. Never will they confirm a GT500 but they did confirm more from a GT350 :)

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
So from what I read there, the voodoo will live on and with updates.

Many speculative threads and posts about the 5.2cpc configuration. It seems the Gt350 will live on into the 2019 model year too. Assuming ford didn't lie about the exclusivity of the voodoo to the car.

2019 550hp voodoo. I'm calling it

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
“I’m sure somebody could find a way to fit a twin-turbo into a Mustang, but we’re pretty happy with the 5.2 V-8 we’ve got in the 350 now,” Nair said.

Notice he doesn't call it Voodoo. Perhaps those "updates" we've read about were the CPC 5.2 V8 we've now seen in the GT4 and FP350S?

Of course, it could mean updates to the FPC Voodoo. It could mean anything :p

Sponsored

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
“I’m sure somebody could find a way to fit a twin-turbo into a Mustang, but we’re pretty happy with the 5.2 V-8 we’ve got in the 350 now,” Nair said.

Notice he doesn't call it Voodoo. Perhaps those "updates" we've read about were the CPC 5.2 V8 we've now seen in the GT4 and FP350S?

Of course, it could mean updates to the FPC Voodoo. It could mean anything :p
Doesn't call it voodoo but states right there the the 5.2 we have in there (Gt350).

[MENTION=6383]thePill[/MENTION]

Headers and some other goodies eh? Any word on a raised redline?

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
Doesn't call it voodoo but states right there the the 5.2 we have in there (Gt350).

[MENTION=6383]thePill[/MENTION]

Headers and some other goodies eh? Any word on a raised redline?
thePill's reports from around November 2015 suggested that may be the case. We were about to go into detail about the possibilities until the idea of a continuation of a GT350 and Voodoo wasn't acceptable. It drove a handful of people absolutely insane :(

Also, I was adamant about the Flat Plane not being ideal and suggested a Cross Plane version of a Voodoo could be inbound. This was months before the GT4's 5.2 and even before the Aluminator... I think I even warned that the Coyote would need to be larger than 5.0. I could see a 5.4 coming back but why? The Kong 5.2 is probably capable of 808 ;)

What was I talking about??

RPM's? Oh yeah, I think I discussed the potential before the "Truthers" came in to set the record straight... er...

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
550 HP isn't gonna do it. Car needs at least 580.

Sasuketr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GTPP
The car needs more torque, especially down low. Keep the 526 hp and bump the torque above 460, or keep the engine but loose at least 200 lbs!

Sl13cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GT500
“I think we’ve shown with our EcoBoost technologies, in the F-150 and in the Ford GT, that you can deliver the performance and the technology, and they appreciate it.”

Who's 'they' ???
Sponsored