Sponsored

When will we see the new GT500?

GT500TT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche turbo
Any guesses or inside scoop on when a reveal will take place? I see a lot of speculation that we will see it either December or January at one of the big auto shows. Anyone already talked to a dealer to get inline for one if it is revealed?
Sponsored

Grandmarshal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dario
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
2017 is the 50th anniversary of the GT500... Makes sense to me we will see it soon.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Well, Topnotch has informed us the 18MY facelifted S550 will NOT be shown at LA......so one would assume it'll be Detroit in January instead.

However, I'd be surprised if Ford showed their entire hand at one show, so I'm thinking the V6/Ecoboost/GT will be shown first......and it'll be interesting to see if we get confirmation that the GT350 carries on into the '18MY.

That then leaves the GT500 and Mach 1. Both rumoured, but both unconfirmed by Ford.

Again, my thinking would be the Mach 1 would come first, perhaps at New York auto show in April........and the GT500 to come later, perhaps at LA in November 2017 or even Detroit 2018. It's also worth noting.....if you look at the forum description for the GT500 on here, it states "Discussions of the 2019+ Shelby GT500 Mustang"....and for the Mach 1 "Discussions of the 2018 Ford Mustang Mach 1". Despite being a Moderator here, I have (sadly!!) no inside knowledge of this, but M6G is usually pretty accurate with the info it supplies.

I'm not convinced Ford will make these anniversary models. Yes, the first GT500 was a '67......but then that would have meant a new GT500 have had to appear during the '17MY, and we know that's not happening.

The Mach 1 would need to be a '19MY, if it was going to hit the anniversary. That's still possible, of course.

However, my initial thinking is what I believe is more likely. It keeps new models flowing for the remainder of the S550's run, until it's replaced by the S650 in 2020 for the '21MY.

OP
OP
GT500TT

GT500TT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche turbo
I don't want to wait that long though :rant:
I'm with you! I'm thinking/hoping Detroit in January. I'm ready to order!!
Having to wait another year will suck.

Sponsored

hated

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 gt500
If we don't see a gt500 soon I don't think that there will be one. Ford has still not confirmed anything yet, and there are many factors coming into play. First mustang sales are way down, along with other more profitable cars and trucks. So much so that ford is idling plants. Second the looming 2020 emissions standards that are coming.

10splaya22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Vehicle(s)
F150
I've heard it will be a 2019 as well. Hard to say when it will be revealed but maybe late 2017 or early 2018 would be my guess. Obviously there is no 2017 model.

OP
OP
GT500TT

GT500TT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche turbo
Another week nothing. Anyone really watching for some info soon seeing that the LA/Detroit shows are right around the corner. Some speculate that Ford will release the Mach 1 and GT500 at one or the other!

Dub347sbf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 F150 4x4 Lariat 3.5 Ecoboost
If we don't see a gt500 soon I don't think that there will be one. Ford has still not confirmed anything yet, and there are many factors coming into play. First mustang sales are way down, along with other more profitable cars and trucks. So much so that ford is idling plants. Second the looming 2020 emissions standards that are coming.
Speaking to this, Ford should give it one last hurrah. Seriously, let the emissions creep in, but go out with a twin turbo v8 engineering monster that has the competition drooling. One more time. Let's go. No doubt in my mind that the Mustang can make all the others wish they had the power output/ (straight line) track times. 2 year run and done. Looking back it will be the end of an era like the early/mid 70s were.

Edit: don't get me wrong I love twisty track times as well. And they have the car to nail it. But if they sacrifice it to have a monster…so be it. If it does ok on the Twisties as well, then yay. Hellcat can't go into cafe regulation time holding the title. I don't think it's going to happen either. We shall see.

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
It's coming, fear not, unless some big recession/depression happens before then.
From what I've heard.the s650 will be a monster on the track. Lighter, with more power and DCT V6 for the 350. Let that be the track star. Let this GT500 go down as epic HP.

Sponsored

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
O/T

From what I've heard.the s650 will be a monster on the track. Lighter, with more power and DCT V6 for the 350. Let that be the track star. Let this GT500 go down as epic HP.
I shouldn't derail this thread, so it might be better to start and S650 rumour thread............but I've not heard this rumour before. A DCT and (presumably Ecoboost) V6 for the S650 GT350?? Blimey.......whilst the, potentially, lighter weight of the V6 would be good for a track monster, I always thought the V8 would soldier on in the more expensive/hi-po models for S650 (as per the 4.0 Ecoboost V8 thread).

:)

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
I shouldn't derail this thread, so it might be better to start and S650 rumour thread............but I've not heard this rumour before. A DCT and (presumably Ecoboost) V6 for the S650 GT350?? Blimey.......whilst the, potentially, lighter weight of the V6 would be good for a track monster, I always thought the V8 would soldier on in the more expensive/hi-po models for S650 (as per the 4.0 Ecoboost V8 thread).

:)
Yeah, sorry for the slight derail there Twin. I'm just saying, I wouldn't mind if the GT500 is carried out for pure straight line acceleration. Maybe mag shocks but let's go for a sure #1 in a single catagory. Ford could really hit it out of the park and make it #1 in strip, track and street. There is no doubt if they make it king of the strip and and add a track pack option it would do good on the track as well. It may not be the best, but make it the best in at least one category. I think the 350 will claim the track when it's all said and done with DCT and higher hp.

OP
OP
GT500TT

GT500TT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche turbo
There is to much information out and about for it to not be coming! I guess the question is when. I hope soon as I'm already bugging my dealer to get me in line!

cfl4rat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Truck
All I wanna know is how it will be configured! My dream GT500 is a twin turbo V8, AWD, and a Dual Clutch Transmission.. AKA the Godzilla killer :)

Z_Rocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Import
First of all, the next GT500 is not even confirmed by Ford. Even if it was, we have no idea if it will S/C again or TT. That leaves a lot of room for current high performance prospects to look at 2017 ZL1. The new ZL1 is going to have two years jump ahead of next GT500.
Sponsored