Sponsored

Will we ever see an Automatic GT500?

Agent_S550

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT PP
I was just pointing out how Ferrari and Lamborghini already got rid of the manual transmissions and not that Ford wanted to be in their league.
If Ford wanted to up their game, they would have made the RS a DCT. It would've had paddle shifters and not a stick. It's very apparent Ford is dedicated to keeping its specialty cars with a stick shift between the seats.
Sponsored

Joemomma22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic GT PP
I'm surprised there are so many people supporting auto GT500. I dont even agree with an auto GT being produced, i hate the idea of an auto roush stage 3, let alone a gt500. I guess that could be because im 23. I'm sure when i can afford one i wont have the bones for a stickshift haha.

c-rizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Explorer Sport
All major car manufacturers have transitioned their high end fastest cars to automatics.

Even PORSCHE which is known for their "purists" has made all of their current fastest 911's... GT3, GT3 RS, Turbo, Turbo S's all automatic ONLY. Though after the success of the manual only Cayman GT4, there is talk of making a GT3 w/ manual also.

All of the major players have automatics that are faster than the best professional manual shifters.

Well, except for Ford maybe. After driving with my '14 GT with automatic for the past 2 years, I realized Ford was still years behind Porsche, Lamborghini, Audi & even Chevy in the "brains" of their automatics. I've driven autos in many Porsche's, a Gallardo, an R8, the new Z06 and they all were great on a road course.

Not so with my '14 Mustang. And that's the only reason I went back to manual for my '17 Mustang. I couldn't drive my '14 on the track.

It actually makes complete sense, to go auto in the GT500.
When you take launch control, line-lock, 10-speed auto, all configured properly in to a track app launch mode.
I'm thinking the 10 speed auto is going to keep the car in its peak power band perfectly resulting in some extremely fast 0-60, 1/4, etc. times.

Ford GT - SUPER CAR PERIOD

MUSTANGS:
GT500 - super high horsepower, automatic only, mostly for straight line (1/4 mile) performance
GT350 - high performance, manual only, track (road course) beast
GT - cheap thrills
Eco - for the millenial hipster environmentalist thrill seeker
V6 - low end, might disappear soon, too much overlap

FOCUS:
RS
ST
some overlap with mustangs in the price range, but helps fill out the "sports car" line up.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
If Ford wanted to up their game, they would have made the RS a DCT. It would've had paddle shifters and not a stick. It's very apparent Ford is dedicated to keeping its specialty cars with a stick shift between the seats.
??
This transmission has been in co-development for 5 years. Only offered in 2017+ cars.

Additionally, the Focus RX500 coming out next year, will have this. And so will many Ford performance cars.

Stroked84

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
I think it should absolutely come with an optional 10-speed auto. Why shouldn't it?

??
This transmission has been in co-development for 5 years. Only offered in 2017+ cars.

Additionally, the Focus RX500 coming out next year, will have this. And so will many Ford performance cars.
What does the development of this 10r80 (not a DCT) have to do with him thinking the Focus RS should've come with a DCT? They could've put a DCT in it for a year and then threw the 10-speed in it when it was ready. It would definitely make Subaru rethink at crappy CVT they slapped in the WRX.

Sponsored

lemers

Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Um no :lock1:

packerfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 mustang gt grabber blue
i think ford will offer the 10 speed auto with the next gt500 because its epa mpg estimates may just help it avoid the gas guzzler tax.

Coconut

Poptart
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Magnetic manual
I'm pretty old school myself when it comes to cars but if I were to get a GT500, I'd prefer it to be auto, a GOOD auto mind you (DCT or 10-speed). It's going to be at least 600HP and I know myself, I would NOT be able to handle that much power consistently.

Sponsored

Raul-7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1967 S-code FB
So funny how the manual guys think they are the real "car guys" because they manually shift, I wonder have many of them even know how to or had to double clutch.
Granny shifting not double clutching like you should...

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
So funny how the manual guys think they are the real "car guys" because they manually shift, I wonder have many of them even know how to or had to double clutch.

Well I think: only cranking your car over to start with a hand crank, makes you a real car guy. Your all Dinosaurs lol

They will have an Auto, the market demands it.
There's nothing heroic about running a non-synchro box. IMO there's also nothing fun about it, either. :)

It should be interesting to see what Ford does. I agree as time goes on there are fewer people who prefer manual transmissions. You can argue all you want, but it is true that hard core car guys tend to be more into manual transmissions. The GT500 - if built mostly for straight line duties - might be more suited to having an automatic, though.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
An auto should be an option, but not the only choice....

EJS2016

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black GT Premium, 6A, 3.55 / '08 GT
Will we ever see another GT 500?
The following statement may be considered heresy.

Taking into consideration current and future CAFE standards, the gas guzzler tax and the fact that an automatic will definitely be more tractable and quicker than a manual transmission, any new GT 500 may be available only with an automatic.