Sponsored

NEW INFO ON GT500

HCT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Charger Hellcat
Let's see... Ride in a ZL1 that sounds good while trying to see the tail lights of the GT500 and Hellcat that just obliterated you... Yeah, makes sense.
I own a Hellcat. It's easy to do the math and see that with 640hp, the ZL1 is going to be faster. Better power to weight ratio, more tire out back, more sophisticated launch control.

As far as the GT500 being faster than the ZL1 if it has the V6, color me skeptical. In the GT they're promising "more than 600 horsepower" but haven't gotten more specific. If it has roughly the same power as the ZL1, it still won't be as fast because the new Camaro has a significant weight advantage over the Mustang. But until we know how much power both cars have, it's all guesswork.

As for sound... If sound and two cylinders are the only reasons you wish to take a ZL1 over a TTV6 GT500, then I don't think there's much to tell you.
It's not just the V6, it's also turbocharging. Have you ever heard a turbo motor that sounded as good as an NA or supercharged motor? I haven't. Have you seen the videos of the full race trim GT going around the track? If you like super loud whoopee cushions, it's perfect.

But I'll be the first to admit that the sound of a car is more important to me than it is for many other enthusiasts. Like, if a new Tesla came out that blew the doors off of both the ZL1 and GT500, I wouldn't buy it. The sound a car makes is a big part of the emotional satisfaction for me. Don't take it personally, we just don't all like the same stuff. I can easily see buying a GT500 if it's configured a certain way but I can just as easily see taking a pass. Time will tell.
Sponsored

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
Whatever is coming, Ford would't release a loser. It will be a winner, regardless of what kind of engine it has. I may not get it, but it will be a slayer for sure.

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
I may not get it, but...
And that's the problem.

We want a winner that we want to "get."

Not "oh that's cool. It's almost as fast as it could have been. So it's a winner still. But I'm not going to buy it."

Let's be real. If that's the case then it is a loser.

The GT500 should be the car we "must have."

EJS2016

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black GT Premium, 6A, 3.55 / '08 GT
And I think most of us would be very disappointed if it did not have 8 cylinders.

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
And that's the problem.

We want a winner that we want to "get."

Not "oh that's cool. It's almost as fast as it could have been. So it's a winner still. But I'm not going to buy it."

Let's be real. If that's the case then it is a loser.

The GT500 should be the car we "must have."
I agree, and thats my point. Make it kick ass with what we would like it to kick ass with and we WILL get it.

Sponsored

daltron

Rowing All Day
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
The big thing too that people forget is timing is a big deal in the auto industry. Yes, development takes time too and that factors in, but if Ford released the GT, GT500, and GT350 at the same time would everyone still be talking about it all as fervently? It is in a manufacturer's best interest to spread out the launch of higher end models, which is why I have zero doubt we will see a GT500 eventually.

Good snippet from C&D on the concept: http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2017-chevrolet-corvette-grand-sport-first-drive-review

Sports-car buyers are more fickle than most. Sales are hot when a new model arrives, as they certainly have been for the C7 Stingray, but then they typically go tumbling off a cliff after a few years. With its long history, the Corvette hasn’t necessarily suffered as much as newcomers in this cycle of boom-and-bust because enough Americans have grown up with the unwavering desire to someday buy a Corvette—not the newest sports car, but a *Corvette specifically. Still, adding a hot, updated version a couple of years into a product’s life is never a bad idea.

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
The big thing too that people forget is timing is a big deal in the auto industry. Yes, development takes time too and that factors in, but if Ford released the GT, GT500, and GT350 at the same time would everyone still be talking about it all as fervently? It is in a manufacturer's best interest to spread out the launch of higher end models, which is why I have zero doubt we will see a GT500 eventually.

Good snippet from C&D on the concept: http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2017-chevrolet-corvette-grand-sport-first-drive-review
They did/do have a plan for 12 by '20, so many performance vehicles will be released simultaneously. I dont believe there will be a 350 and 500 at the same time tho.

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
I own a Hellcat. It's easy to do the math and see that with 640hp, the ZL1 is going to be faster. Better power to weight ratio, more tire out back, more sophisticated launch control.

As far as the GT500 being faster than the ZL1 if it has the V6, color me skeptical. In the GT they're promising "more than 600 horsepower" but haven't gotten more specific. If it has roughly the same power as the ZL1, it still won't be as fast because the new Camaro has a significant weight advantage over the Mustang. But until we know how much power both cars have, it's all guesswork.

It's not just the V6, it's also turbocharging. Have you ever heard a turbo motor that sounded as good as an NA or supercharged motor? I haven't. Have you seen the videos of the full race trim GT going around the track? If you like super loud whoopee cushions, it's perfect.

But I'll be the first to admit that the sound of a car is more important to me than it is for many other enthusiasts. Like, if a new Tesla came out that blew the doors off of both the ZL1 and GT500, I wouldn't buy it. The sound a car makes is a big part of the emotional satisfaction for me. Don't take it personally, we just don't all like the same stuff. I can easily see buying a GT500 if it's configured a certain way but I can just as easily see taking a pass. Time will tell.
Hmmm...

I had a 07 GT500... I hated the sound of the engine for a while. It was too, tame. No pops n burbles... No character... But it did have a helluva Sc whine and I eventually came to like that to make up for the wussness of the engine sound.

Sound is relative to your true desire in a car. I'm a Mustang loyalist, but I definitely would own a Hellcat or Scatpack Charger. To hell with a parts-bin Camaro. Have never heard one to sound better than a Mustang, and I can tell you that if Ford made a TTV6 500, I'd have one 10x over before I ever considered the Camaro.

I'm just not into forced induction anymore man, so all the FI cars from all 3 makes won't appeal to me. That being said, I'd much rather appreciate a TTV6 in my driveway that would absolutely obliterate a ZL1. If it's an FI-TTV8, that's even sweeter, but good luck with that.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
So much fail in this thread. People talking awd mustangs, or supercharged etc.

Ford = Ecoboost...!

Ford Performance Racing = Racing car.

GT500 = Coyote w/EcoBoost.

what series will GT500 race in?

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly

Ford = Ecoboost...!

I wouldn't be shocked if it doesn't have a formal racing program (IE Ford Performance for the GT500)..they've got the GT350R-C's for that. This is similar to how they used the Boss 302 for racing but left the GT500 out of that arena.

Sponsored

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra

Ford = Ecoboost...!

Failure = no innovation, bring stuck in the past etc.

Awd wouldn't be "lol failz bruh"

But supercharged is stuck in the past. From heat issues to parasitic losses to efficiency, etc. it is behind turbo tech. The one plus is very minimal lag with s twin screw/roots type.

But all other benefits swing toward TT - or as Ford likes to call it - Ecoboost.

AWD makes sense for a king of the hill, ultimate horsepower, speed machine. will we see it in A version of the Mustang? Who knows. Is it entirely possible? Heck yes it is. Is that "fail"? Hardly.

Hopefully we have more forward looking folks at Ford not afraid to succeed.

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302

Ford = Ecoboost...!

What? I'm assuming you're being facetious here... you'd better hope Ford Performance gets their hands on the GT500, as I can't see it happening any other way.

Fail? Smh... you don't make much sense here.

KiLLeR2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'89 240SX, '17 GT350
My guess is 5.2L Voodoo Twin Turbo V8, paddleshift/automatic, and AWD. As a direct competitor to the GT-R and 911 Turbo.

Last edited:

montreal ponies

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
‘17 Ruby red GT350
My guess is 5.2L Coyote Twin Turbo V8, paddleshift/automatic, and AWD. As a direct competitor to the GT-R and 911 Turbo.

I guess you meant to say a 5.2L Voodoo :gossip: