Sponsored

The Next GT 500: RWD V8 or AWD V8?

Should the GT500 stay with RWD or move onto AWD?

• Total voters

Rich

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6, Suzuki C50, former 67 Mustang owner
V8TT AWD would be awesome, but I have doubts Ford could shoe horn all that under the hood. TT over SC because that is where Ford's tech has been going. My guess for horse power is 750+, just enough to beat Hellcat.
Sponsored

minjitta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Explorer
If GT500 equiped with A10sp then it don't need AWD

nametoshowothers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
description of cars
I voted for V8 TT, AWD

Reasons (fundamentally):

Turbos are more efficient than superchargers since they use the wasted exhaust energy instead of valuable crank energy. Moreover, turbos work better when they get hotter. The down side is the heat conducted between the compression section and the turbine section makes the cold air hot then you need an intercooler. A unique design like this could push the turbo tech even further.
BirRkqbCIAE0WzC.jpg

AWD part. The only AWD sport car that I have driven was the Audi R8 V10. It handled and launched really well compared to my Mustang GT. It gave me the confidant that I needed to 'fly' in the track. I wouldn't dare to drive my Mustang the same way I drove the R8. AWD systems add some weight and complexity to the car but (in my opinion) it's worth it. To achieve the same level of handling (or close enough) in an RWD car you'd need a much wider wheels/tires (added weight), a lot of chassis tuning (might add weight) and aerodynamic features (added weight and down force which slows the car down). I didn't mention any of 0-60 stuff because it's obvious and well-known that AWD is quicker than RWD.

Turbos and superchargers increase the air temperature due to the thermodynamic effect of compressing the gas into a smaller volume (higher pressure). The effects of heat transfer down the shaft are negligible.

As far as a turbo working better hotter, that is true from the perspective that the more exhaust energy (ie hotter exhaust), the more the turbocharger can compress, but it is often limited by boost pressure limits on the air side and maximum rotational speeds.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
with multiple gears the car can put power on the ground better.
also less weight compare to AWD, less complicated, and cost less.
Multiple gear will help keep the car in its power band, but that doesn't help the tires stick to the road.

It's true without AWD the car will cost less and be less complicated. Same is true if all the government mandated air bags could be removed, the turbos or supercharger, intercoolers, etc. What things will make the car faster though? I think there's an argument to be made that 99% of the time, on the street, leaving a stop light, an AWD car will be quicker. I keep going back to a test I saw on YouTube of a Hellcat challenger where they couldn't get under 5 seconds 0-60. They had engineers from Dodge and other drivers trying it over and over on what looked like a sticky section of pavement. It really rings true with my experiences of driving on the street having a GT or GT350 - once you get in the power band on the street the rear tires are spinning and the car won't hook unless you feather the throttle. Now if you added AWD the extra weight won't necessarily slow the car down if AWD means you can hook up a lot more of the power.

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
with multiple gears the car can put power on the ground better.
also less weight compare to AWD, less complicated, and cost less.
While that is true and will help some, it doesn't affect the primary factor: traction. Especially if the shifts are abrupt.
Awd gives a car firmer footing. Better grip.

The Mustang doesn't NEED it. But it would definitely pick up the acceleration like crazy, being able to use the gobs of power a TT V8 will produce.

UPRSteve

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.uprproducts.com
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
The GT500 will never ever ever be an auto or All Wheel Drive. The Mustang Platform is designed as a fun v8 muscle car. This is a Mustang... The specialty model's is a name your paying for.

You can make a rear wheel drive car handle, perform and out due all wheel drive's as well.

This was a huge debate back in 03-04 when the Cobra came out because they started using Mustangs in drifting competitions. But to this day, the design has shown itself.

dragonacc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP
The GT500 will never ever ever be an auto or All Wheel Drive. The Mustang Platform is designed as a fun v8 muscle car. This is a Mustang... The specialty model's is a name your paying for.
Every GT500 before the modern ones was available with an auto, and they typically outsold the manuals... If Ford has an auto capable of handling the power they would be foolish not to give people the option.

Sponsored

UPRSteve

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.uprproducts.com
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
Every GT500 before the modern ones was available with an auto, and they typically outsold the manuals... If Ford has an auto capable of handling the power they would be foolish not to give people the option.
They would have years ago but since 07, it was not designed because Ford is moving towards road racing for their specialty models. 98% will want a manual for that. Only the drag racers would ask for a auto. You can do a conversion like Power By The Hour offers if you want an auto shelby.

daltron

Rowing All Day
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
They HAVE had an auto capable of it. But again, it's not just about selling numbers for the specialty cars. If that were the case they'd make auto GT350's and not have a limited run.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Shelby American sell the S550 based GT and Super Snake with the current 6-speed auto.

GM have already shown the Camaro ZL1 with the new 10-speed auto.......so I'll be very disappointed if Ford don't give the 10-speed auto option with the GT500. And I'm not a drag racer......

:)

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
You can make a rear wheel drive car handle, perform and out due all wheel drive's as well.
This was a huge debate back in 03-04 when the Cobra came out because they started using Mustangs in drifting competitions. But to this day, the design has shown itself.
Amen brother! :thumbsup:

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
The 10 speed auto is a MUST. I'm guessing Filord will sell many more of those than the manual. It's both faster for those who actually use the car as intended as well as more convenient for those times in rush hour for those who enjoy the car often.

Leaving it out while the comp is doing it is asinine.

It's going to happen.

Enough of the Luddite thinking of a few holding the king of the pony are back.

Awd or no isn't as much a need as the auto.

Let's be real for a moment. The auto will allow for better performance period. If you want to shift it yourself regardless of speed penalty, cool. Then check that box. Meanwhile the rest will get the performance they want.

Everyone wins.

An awd KR trim certainly wouldn't hurt matters.
Sponsored