Sponsored

The Next GT 500: RWD V8 or AWD V8?

Should the GT500 stay with RWD or move onto AWD?

• Total voters

FordBlueHeart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Torr
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 301A PP1 A10 Magneride
It seems the last poll didn't quite have the choices most would like to have seen. It did seem to point to the V8 being preferred over the 3.5 TT V6 at this time. What was unclear was whether the traditional rear wheel drive platform should continue or if all wheel drive should appear on the Mustang's most revered version for the first time ever. Is "over 50 years of tradition" to continue or does the GT 500 "need to move into the next century and be on the cutting edge?" Another thing that stood out was that everyone felt it should be able to trump the Hellcat in the horsepower war with roughly 800hp. How Ford does it is the other aspect of the poll. Supercharged or Twin Turbocharged?
So here are the 4 choices:

1. V8 Supercharged RWD
2. V8 Supercharged AWD
3. V8 Twin Turbo RWD
4. V8 Twin Turbo AWD

Thank you everyone for taking part. Please keep it civil and explain why you think your choice makes the most sense to you.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Great poll. I have to think about it a little, because I'm just thinking of AWD as a good option to make the car faster, especially in the typical street, low traction environment it will be in for those of us who would daily drive the car. I'm not thinking it's necessarily the only option. I would definitely prefer turbos over a supercharger, but I understand turbos are difficult to implement just like AWD would be.

Dary

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Premium GT
I voted for V8 TT, AWD

Reasons (fundamentally):

Turbos are more efficient than superchargers since they use the wasted exhaust energy instead of valuable crank energy. Moreover, turbos work better when they get hotter. The down side is the heat conducted between the compression section and the turbine section makes the cold air hot then you need an intercooler. A unique design like this could push the turbo tech even further.

AWD part. The only AWD sport car that I have driven was the Audi R8 V10. It handled and launched really well compared to my Mustang GT. It gave me the confidant that I needed to 'fly' in the track. I wouldn't dare to drive my Mustang the same way I drove the R8. AWD systems add some weight and complexity to the car but (in my opinion) it's worth it. To achieve the same level of handling (or close enough) in an RWD car you'd need a much wider wheels/tires (added weight), a lot of chassis tuning (might add weight) and aerodynamic features (added weight and down force which slows the car down). I didn't mention any of 0-60 stuff because it's obvious and well-known that AWD is quicker than RWD.

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
V8 is definitely the way to go.

From there, ecoboost is the present and the future. Turbos are more efficient with greater power potential.

Leave the parasitic supercharger in the past. It's great that the mustang gt and the NA 350 can be modded to insane power with a supercharger. Keep that open.

But... WE are talking a car that is engineered by ford to make power with boost. Ford already knows turbos are it. And they developed some amazing lesser engines with it.

I'd like to see them give that same kind of attention to the v8. Engineered from the ground up for twin turbos. It would even help mileage.

The benefits would be:

1) unbelievable power from the factory.

2) " power potential

3) slightly better mileage.

4) ensuring engine performance dominance.

AWD is also the way to go. With that much power, it must be rested under control. The gt500 is an expensive car. Previous versions have been out of whack in basically just being a gt with a bigger engine and suspension.

There is no reason a gt500 with way more power should lose to a gtr. You simply can't make up for what you lose out of the hole in enough time.

This is a new gt500. Let's see it be the best it can be. Instead of "oh it's mustang so it can have old stuff." Meanwhile development is happening on the focus that is causing that car to overachieve while relegating the Mustsng to underachiever status.

A twin turbo v8 mustang with AWD would literally redefine what mustang performance is and shock the world it's performance as it will finally realize its potential.

It's logical and it's simply better performing in every way.

We are already going to pay big money let's get something we can be ridiculously proud of.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I chose RWD and S/C. Instant response, no messing with exhaust note, less weight and complexity than AWD.

-T
Instant response is a historical strength of a super charger over turbos. My understanding is that the modern turbos are a lot better, though.

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
Instant response is a historical strength of a super charger over turbos. My understanding is that the modern turbos are a lot better, though.
Especially those with electric assist... Nearly instantaneous.

OP
OP
FordBlueHeart

FordBlueHeart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Torr
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 301A PP1 A10 Magneride
I voted for the TT RWD mostly because I don't see AWD happening unless Ford offers it across the whole mustang lineup or offers it in a sister car such as a Hot Rod Lincoln or stretched wheelbase sedan.
I think Ford has the ability to improve performance and traction while keeping the traditional powertrain, appealing to both traditionalists and those who desire better driveability.
My feelings are that going to AWD and basically switching vehicle segments is a foolish endeavor which will alienate those common core customers who typically also look at the Camaro, Challenger, Corvette, Viper and other rwd platforms. Ultimately the GT500 is a Halo car that most cannot afford, but pulls them into the dealership and switches them to the more affordable variants Ford offers. Wouldn't it make more sense to offer the GT supercar with AWD first?
I can see the GT500 being offered with AWD on the version after the one we all think we will see for 2018. Mostly because the platform can incorporate it easier from the start or because it will have been developed for another vehicle that possibly has come to market already.

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
TT RWD

I can't imagine them doing anything AWD with a chassis that's built around a FR drivetrain. It's already nose-heavy enough, too.

I can see them going with a small twin or sequential turbo setup. It helps them eek or a better EPA rating compared to a comparable S/C power plant and they can make similar figures that way.

Sponsored

minjitta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Explorer
TT V8 AWD should be optional package imo.

Process

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Porsche 911 Turbo S & 2016 Shelby GT350R
you can put the power down in RWD configurations, Ford just needs to rework their launch control.

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
thePill believes the same TR9007 transmission that is in the 2017 Ford GT will also be the transmission in the GT500.

Take note, the TR9007 is AWD capable... why? Why would a transmission that was developed for a 3000lbs, mid-engine, rear drive sports car need a transmission that was engineered to 650+ max torque capacity @ a gross vehicle weight rating of nearly 5200lbs? That would make the curb weight around 4000lbs without 4 passengers and full cargo. The GT's GVWR is around 4700-4800lbs so...

Why? Tremec develops each application specifically... so why is the Ford GT using a TR9007 that was tested at 650tq@5150lbs in an AWD application?

But, a Twin Turbo V8 is an 800hp engine easy. Give me 800hp, AWD at $65,000 and I'm in.

OrangeRush

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CSGT Competition Orange
Going from N/A to turbo and then back to N/A (FR-S -> STi -> Mustang), I must say that I'm really enjoying the feeling of instant throttle response again. I will say I miss the incredible surge of power in the STi, but overall N/A makes a much better DD.

I'll concede I've never driven a turbo V8, but imagining the Coyote with a turbo is not pleasant. It already seems a bit slow to rev, but I imagine that could be tuned out or chipped out.

I grew up in a time where turbos were for small engines and SC's were for big engines. Plus, to me, SC whine fits angry V8's so much better than the chirping, whistling and hissing of a turbo.
Sponsored