Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Azurebluemach......please refrain from the personal insults. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and it doesn't make them any less of a Mustang enthusiast.

Let's keep this civil, thank you :thumbsup:
Sponsored

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
I thought Mustang heritage was Fast Fun Affordable. Because as far as design elements, I think the S550 has a similar approach to body lines flowing through the whole car like the classics. More than any car before it. Washing it reminds me alot of my 68 fastback.

I think the S550 knows where it came from, what it is, and is doing it differently. The brand needs that. I think the key thing I see when I fellow S550 owner is more often than that they are a younger person which it critical.

This car is about propelling the Mustang legacy forward. When it comes to the Mach 1, I think it's been more of a performance package especially as of late, and I don't see the Shaker hood being a key to it. I personally don't see it going to well with the S550 lines, especially with the retro considerations to what a shaker hood is. I say that in spite of having a Mach.

I think it could be done, but I see it having to be much larger to look good. The last thing we need is more weight and complexity.

I can't see anyone one complaining if we got a 50 state legal version of the lessor Ford Racings's hybrid coyote/voodoo. And Maybe base GT350 shocks and springs.

The Mustang defines the segment, the next Mach can continue that and define what weight the Mach 1 nameplate carries with it.
Great post. And thanks for the pictures. Very enlightening.

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
I agree about the S550, and really like it since its introduction. However, I don't believe the Mach 1 needs to take steps in advancement like you are stating. I think it just needs to be a respectful homage to the past, same as the S550 does. The S550 has already taken the necessary steps forward and Mach 1 fans want that too. IMO, if the Mach had the new 5.2L power plant, it would cost too much. What I would like to see personally is two engine options be presented. I'd like to see the 5.0L and a lesser powered 5.2L flat plane, both naturally aspirated. The 03-04 Mach's had off-the-shelf type parts and I think aside from the engine options, the same could be true with the new Mach. It doesn't have to, and shouldn't be a redesign.

My 04 handles great in stock form (for the times), but was mainly setup for the drag strip. Sort of a best of both worlds. I'd like to see the same for the new Mach; handles as good as the GT, but has some upgrades for traction and gearing for the drag strip. IMO that's heritage. A model that can use the advancements of the S550 and styling like a shaker hood, specific wheels that touch on the past, exterior decals and badging the support the Mach 1 name.

Otherwise, why even use the Mach 1 name?

IG: rcodemach1

Thought I'd mention that my daily driver is a 2003 Mustang Cobra.

My first car was a Mustang.

I love the Mustang more than any other model.

And that's why I'm so passionate about it.

Im also a very objective person. As much as possible. Of course we all have our biases. But I try to take a step back every now and then and just be honest with myself.

When I do that, I see many things about the current Mustang direction that I really like. Then I also see other things that I wish were different.

But when it comes to what I'd LIKE to see, it's an open discussion and one where many of us will have differences of opinion. That's great.

Like iron sharpening iron. Such discussions often cause us to reflect on our own bias and its validity or lack thereof.

While I love what the Musyang has been, I look forward to major progress. If there are some modern and tasteful ways to include heritage styling cues, perfect. But if it hinders the look or performance, time to prune the tree and let new life flow.

My opinion of course. It is a passionate one. But I understand others differ and I can see why when tastes vary.

In terms of Mustang, I'd like to see less reaction from Ford and more innovation.

With the Ford GT, they pretty much rewrote the book. And the car is all the better for it (other than the missing v8. That's a backward step imho). I'd like to see Ford tackle the Mustang with the same pioneering, fresh spirit that they did with that car. But for the love of all that is holy, not only keep the v8, but INVEST in it. Make it the most powerful, most reliable, most economical v8 in history. Treat it with all the passion you treated the ecoboost 4 and 6. I'm betting when that happens, we will see something extremely special. We've seen Ford go to a certain length with the Voodoo. Let's see it go beyond.

I'd like to see the Mustang strategy treated like a winning hockey legends strategy:

"I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been." - Wayne Gretzky

azurebluemach

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Mach 1
Thought I'd mention that my daily driver is a 2003 Mustang Cobra.

My first car was a Mustang.

I love the Mustang more than any other model.

And that's why I'm so passionate about it.

Im also a very objective person. As much as possible. Of course we all have our biases. But I try to take a step back every now and then and just be honest with myself.

When I do that, I see many things about the current Mustang direction that I really like. Then I also see other things that I wish were different.

But when it comes to what I'd LIKE to see, it's an open discussion and one where many of us will have differences of opinion. That's great.

Like iron sharpening iron. Such discussions often cause us to reflect on our own bias and its validity or lack thereof.

While I love what the Musyang has been, I look forward to major progress. If there are some modern and tasteful ways to include heritage styling cues, perfect. But if it hinders the look or performance, time to prune the tree and let new life flow.

My opinion of course. It is a passionate one. But I understand others differ and I can see why when tastes vary.

In terms of Mustang, I'd like to see less reaction from Ford and more innovation.

With the Ford GT, they pretty much rewrote the book. And the car is all the better for it (other than the missing v8. That's a backward step imho). I'd like to see Ford tackle the Mustang with the same pioneering, fresh spirit that they did with that car. But for the love of all that is holy, not only keep the v8, but INVEST in it. Make it the most powerful, most reliable, most economical v8 in history. Treat it with all the passion you treated the ecoboost 4 and 6. I'm betting when that happens, we will see something extremely special. We've seen Ford go to a certain length with the Voodoo. Let's see it go beyond.

I'd like to see the Mustang strategy treated like a winning hockey legends strategy:

"I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been." - Wayne Gretzky

Ugh, you are killing me! I thought there would be having some logical convo about the Mach 1 that will hopefully be introduced in the near future. But instead, we are talking about some distant future when Ford does another redesign.

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
Ugh, you are killing me! I thought there would be having some logical convo about the Mach 1 that will hopefully be introduced in the near future. But instead, we are talking about some distant future when Ford does another redesign.

Actually I'm talking about the upcoming. But you already knew that.

I tried to take things to a better level. But you're just going to be who you are.

Good day to you.

Sponsored

azurebluemach

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Mach 1
Actually I'm talking about the upcoming. But you already knew that.

I tried to take things to a better level. But you're just going to be who you are.

Good day to you.

Remember, you can be passionate about the heritage of a car too. You were equally unwilling to accommodate my view on the subject as well.

StangFever2846

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mach 1
That's what I'm saying.

It falls short.

But so does the nostalgia stuff.

The market for old homage is shrinking.

Part of what attracts the younger crowd to imports is the fact that it's fresh styling.

Cue the "ricer" comments.

But take the Mustang ahead into the truly modern era and there is simply no reason to look elsewhere.

Take the spirit of the original shaker hood and rethink it. Reengineer it until you have something that mKes total sense from s functionality perspective. Then engineer that so it makes a "wow!" Statement from a visual perspective. Maybe instead of s small scoop section, the entire size of the hood can move. maybe combine significant heat extraction and ram air into the same hood. Or maybe something altogether different. Take the fog light housings and have a scoop surround the fog on each side with the screened air ducted to the filter. Or dual filters.

Then have a prominent section of the hood attached to the engine with heat extraction instead of air. That would be cool to see while driving and it would be more aerodynamic.

So many possibilities other than "that one thing from that old car."

And I really hope they change the badge.

In the 70's that was a high tech computer style font.

Today, it's just old and not particularly attractive.

Sacrilege!!!

How about we get today what the Mach 1 represented when it first came out? The spirit of the car executed in a modern way. Not just oldness slapped on.

That would be great.

Don't make this a throwback to oldness.

Make it something totally new that's so cool, 50 years from now THEY WANT TO THROW BAVK TO THIS.
I don't think a Mach 1 is for you. I suppose in the quest for a more modern Mach 1 you would want to get rid of the comfort weave seats too huh?

Look, I get it, you want a more modern pony car. But alot of us like the retro styling cues. That's why I decided on a 03 Mach 1 instead of an 03 Cobra. I think of all the specialty mustangs, the Mach 1 is the one that pays the most homage to the originals. That was true of the 03/04's and will probably be true of the next one.

As for me, I'll take my new Mach 1 with a Shaker please. Or NACA ducts. I'd be cool with NACA ducts. Oh and some comfort weave seats.

But don't mess with that "high tech computer style font." :D

StangFever2846

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mach 1
A shaker setup like this one for an N/A engine would probably work on a Coyote since it has the throttle body in the front. But they would probably not be able to use the same 1969 casting for it like they did on the 03/04's cause of how much bigger the S550's are. They would need to scale it up to look more proportionate.

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
I don't think a Mach 1 is for you. I suppose in the quest for a more modern Mach 1 you would want to get rid of the comfort weave seats too huh?

Look, I get it, you want a more modern pony car. But alot of us like the retro styling cues. That's why I decided on a 03 Mach 1 instead of an 03 Cobra. I think of all the specialty mustangs, the Mach 1 is the one that pays the most homage to the originals. That was true of the 03/04's and will probably be true of the next one.

As for me, I'll take my new Mach 1 with a Shaker please. Or NACA ducts. I'd be cool with NACA ducts. Oh and some comfort weave seats.

Perhaps you'd be better served by a restored vehicle?

A vintage Mach 1 would we've those needs better than any new car.

Mach 1 meant fast. Not nostalgia.

The most recent Mach 1 did the nostalgia thing around the bullitt craze. So it made sense.

It's a new day though.

Even if they do tack on some retro stuff I hope that at least make an attempt of modernizing it enough to fit today's styling and functional expectations.

Let's go back to the original Mach 1.

WHat did it represent?

Nostalgia? No.

It was very futuristic. And the interior and exterior features so fondly remembered were NEW and INNOVATIVE then.

So rather than trying to copy an old car with old features, it makes sense that a modern Mach 1 would also be future forward with new and innovative features. Just like the original in its day.

azurebluemach

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Mach 1

I think I could be down for functional NACA ducts too, like the 71. It might work better than a shaker on this hood. I hope they at least try a shaker hood setup though.

Sponsored

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
The original "Mach 1" wasn't futuristic, it wasn't a true performance package, it was mostly an appearance package that was ultimately intended to replace the GT trim in 1969, and in fact did in 1970.

Just tossing that out there.

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
The original "Mach 1" wasn't futuristic, it wasn't a true performance package, it was mostly an appearance package that was ultimately intended to replace the GT trim in 1969, and in fact did in 1970.

Just tossing that out there.
Those appearance changes were indeed futuristic for the time. Not crazy but some subtle forward looking elements.

Looking back now it doesn't appear so. But it was fairly forward looking. Definitely not trying to ape a "blast from the past" look.

And the shaker hood was cool and innovative then.

You usually only saw that with hot rod supercharged cars.

They were giving a modded look from the factory. But very clean and modern for the time.

As far as a GT replacement early on, it would be interesting to see where this one slots, especially since the most recent version was the near equivalent to an N/A Cobra in terms of performance.

I'm guessing it takes the gt350 spot.

Bu who knows...

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
He's just not getting it. :doh:

The Mach 1 wasn't intended to be an old nostalgia trip.

It was intended to look cool and forward looking for its time. And perform well.

If it ends up being s blast from the past even after an entire generation of s197 Musyangs dedicate to exactly that, so be it.

I'm just saying that nostalgia isn't what makes a Mach 1 a Mach 1.

Last edited by a moderator:

azurebluemach

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Mach 1
Apparently, neither are you.

The Mach 1 wasn't intended to be an old nostalgia trip.

It was intended to look cool and forward looking for its time. And perform well.

If it ends up being s blast from the past even after an entire generation of s197 Musyangs dedicate to exactly that, so be it.

I'm just saying that nostalgia isn't what makes a Mach 1 a Mach 1.

It's about fast and performance, not futuristic, space age, or any of that.

I got news for you, the Mustang is a blast from the past et al. Every redesign has had some homage or nostalgic edge to the past in one way or another. It's just that simple - period.

If you don't do this, then you might as well remove the "Mustang" or "Mach 1" name.

Last edited by a moderator:

sabasigh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Pony Package
It's about fast and performance, not futuristic, space age, or any of that.

I got news for you, the Mustang is a blast from the past et al. Every redesign has had some homage or nostalgic edge to the past in one way or another. It's just that simple - period.

If you don't do this, then you might as well remove the "Mustang" or "Mach 1" name.
The next MACH 1
Sponsored