HOW TO: Add MyFord Touch/Sync 3 to base model S550

mindys

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mindaugas
Vehicle(s)
2020 VW GTI SE
So I got a weird situation. I just swapped in the Sync 3 unit with a new GPS antenna and got the GPSM module out of the car. Everything works fine except my compass is pointing the opposite direction (shows South when going North, East when going West, etc.). Both the Nav arrow and gauge cluster compass are showing an opposite direction of travel than reality. Tried disconnecting the battery and reconnecting it again, Master Reset the Sync 3 unit, and drove the car around a little. Nothing fixes it. Tried to search for a compass reset, but there is nothing online about this situation. Anyone know if this is just a bad GPS module?

Update 2/17: I did another master reset on the Sync 3 unit while driving to work and this time the compass calibrated correctly. So everything is good now :thumbsup:

Last edited:

NHMustang

Live Free and Drive
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
So I got a weird situation. I just swapped in the Sync 3 unit with a new GPS antenna and got the GPSM module out of the car. Everything works fine except my compass is pointing the opposite direction (shows South when going North, East when going West, etc.). Both the Nav arrow and gauge cluster compass are showing an opposite direction of travel than reality. Tried disconnecting the battery and reconnecting it again, Master Reset the Sync 3 unit, and drove the car around a little. Nothing fixes it. Tried to search for a compass reset, but there is nothing online about this situation. Anyone know if this is just a bad GPS module?

Update 2/17: I did another master reset on the Sync 3 unit while driving to work and this time the compass calibrated correctly. So everything is good now :thumbsup:
Did you swap out a Sync 2 system for Sync 3? I have been thinking about doing this as well. Did you buy a Sync 3 system from Ford or did you get one from Salvage?

mindys

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mindaugas
Vehicle(s)
2020 VW GTI SE
Did you swap out a Sync 2 system for Sync 3? I have been thinking about doing this as well. Did you buy a Sync 3 system from Ford or did you get one from Salvage?
Yup swapped from 2 to 3. I got the unit from a forum member here.

Sponsored

thet33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT/6MT/3.55
This is probably a dumb question... But is there any way to flash the Base to perform like the Premium in regards to modes (Sport+ mode etc...)? I drove a Premium recently and have to admit I could feel a difference in Sport+. Now that I'l have the toggles it'd be great to also get that functionality (if possible).

OP
OP
zackmd1

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
This is probably a dumb question... But is there any way to flash the Base to perform like the Premium in regards to modes (Sport+ mode etc...)? I drove a Premium recently and have to admit I could feel a difference in Sport+. Now that I'l have the toggles it'd be great to also get that functionality (if possible).
I am sure it is but it looks like the abs module and BCM at minimum will have to be flashed to that of a premium to activate the drive modes. GTs and EBs should be able to activate it without much issue but V6 owners are likely left out.

thet33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT/6MT/3.55
Thanks [MENTION=6944]zackmd1[/MENTION]
I'm hoping to get the premium unit I picked up programmed/installed soon and will see about getting this done also.

HextallS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
It's a little more complicated than just an ABS or BCM module flash. You're talking about accessing the PCMs calibration strategies for each mode. Hypothetically it can be done but will involve flashing the PCM to think it's a Premium for starters.

OP
OP
zackmd1

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
It's a little more complicated than just an ABS or BCM module flash. You're talking about accessing the PCMs calibration strategies for each mode. Hypothetically it can be done but will involve flashing the PCM to think it's a Premium for starters.
That could be done with a tune though correct since I know tuners are able to disable the drive modes?

Sponsored

HextallS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
[MENTION=6944]zackmd1[/MENTION] That depends, if the operating system in the PCM is different then you'd need to flash that entire operating system. That's not something most "tuners" can do. That's an OEM level operation. I have Advantage III but I don't have the 2017 tables for my car yet.
If they are turning those strategies off the PCM is most likely in a Premium car anyway.

mindys

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mindaugas
Vehicle(s)
2020 VW GTI SE
Hey, quick question. My Sync 3 is running v2.2, but if you saw my thread, navigation is acting up. I want to reinstall the v2.2 update. Any way of doing that?

amhauke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic GT
I have a 8" my ford touch unit with nav, map SD card, and the SD card/USB hub needed for sale. Removed from my 2015 GT if anyone is interested. PM me if you want.