HOW TO: Add MyFord Touch/Sync 3 to base model S550

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
So as many of you may know, I have successfully added MyFord Touch to my base model 2015 V6. Unlike what many would lead you to believe it is indeed possible and not cost prohibitive! What follows is the documentation on just how I did my swap.

I want to first give credit to two other forum members here that had major roles in this project!

aggieStang: The first to even attempt this swap! He helped me out with much of the wiring and provided wiring diagrams

jmr061: The genius behind the programming required to make this swap a reality!

ORDER PRICE LIST FOR OEMRADIO:

Sync 2 MFT: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3j7ElB-PVhqbFlZZEI0MEY1eE0/view

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HOW TO: Add MFT to base model S550

PLEASE NOTE: Mechanical skill, wiring skill, and fabrication skills are required to do this swap successfully.

A Plug and Play harness is available from OEMRadio to make this swap much easier for those wishing to avoid wiring!

OEM parts to find or buy as a kit:

MFT bezel (usually found on eBay for ~$300)
Mustang APIM and Screen (eBay for ~$400)
Mustang Multimedia module (in parts list below)
Mustang Multimedia module usb cable (in parts list below)
A7 maps card (eBay $60)

Both OEMRadio and jmr061 have these parts available as well.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The DIY Method

Parts required:

1) MFT screen and APIM unit (usually sold as one) (eBay $150-$250)
2014-2015 escape screens have been proven to work and are on average the cheapest. My APIM part number is as follows DJ5T-14F239-DD

NOTE: JMR and OEMRadio have Nav APIM's and screens available for purchase. The bundle will include the screen, apim, a6 maps card, and all appropriate programming for $500 for JMR. OEMRadio pricing is $500 for a NAV APIM and $400 for a non NAV APIM

NOTE 2: If buying separately from ebay I HIGHLY suggest you confirm that the screen and APIM are navigation enabled. It is very expensive to add this after the fact. Request the vin before purchase and do a window sticker lookup to confirm that the vehicle had navigation as an installed option.

2) QTY 3 WT1000 wiring harness repair kits (Fordparts.com $24 each) These are for the missing pins on the sync module connector.

3) 2015 Mustang Multimedia module. (Fordparts.com $117 *can be found elsewhere as low as $89) Part number: FR3Z-19A387-A

4) A6 Maps SD card (eBay or though jmr061 for $60)

5) 2015 Mustang Multimedia module USB cable (Fordparts.com $41) Part number: 14D202A http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/P...search=true&year=2015&make=Ford&model=Mustang

6) 2015 Mustang Multimedia module wiring harness connector pigtail ($57) Part Number: WPT998

7) MFT Screen Bezel ($78) You can order this part through my shapeways site!

https://www.shapeways.com/product/5...creen-bezel?li=shop-results&optionId=57705220

Paint to match OEM bezel color: http://www.amazon.com/Dupli-Color-BCC0427-Brilliant-Exact-Match-Automotive/dp/B00407TTEW

Or you can use the OEM MFT bezel as it has been proven to work.

Can be found on eBay for around $400

8) MFT APIM Programing ($200) Contact Jmr061 or OEMRadio about having your APIM programmed. If you wish to purchase a screen and APIM with Navigation programmed for your Mustang contact JMR061 or OEMRadio - Pricing is $500 shipped in USA for both.

9) ACM reprogram. ($60-$100) This is required to have audio during bluetooth calls. It will require a dealer or repair shop with IDS (Ford Programming Software) to modify the as built data of the ACM. JMR061 will provide the change in programming with the MFT programming. OEMRadio requests that you send in your ACM or he can provide you with one in order to complete this step.

Total Cost Navigation: ~$800 if you follow the above parts list

Total Cost MFT without Nav: ~$560 (Only buy # 1, QTY 1 of #2, 7, 8)

MFT/SYNC 3 Brackets: Brackets specific to the S550 are required to properly install the 8" touchscreen. These brackets are difficult to source if purchasing a non mustang APIM.

Below is a listing to my shapeways site with the brackets required. I designed these brackets to be a direct replacement for OEM.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/S...brackets?key=1315ae73abdf85e4154668ff49b9bd56

Wiring Diagrams:

Attached to this thread is a conversion table that shows all of the pins on the APIM (sync) connector that need attention. Some pins have to switch places within the APIM connector and some have to be pulled in from outside sources like the camera leads and MS CAN. Both of these connections need to be tapped into from other harnesses. The camera leads exist in the base 4.2" LCD FDCIM connector pins 6 and 12 and the MS CAN leads exist in the front panel connector. Wiring diagrams below show this. Pins 17 and 18 on the FCIM connector A are the best to tap into to get MS CAN. These then need to be routed to pins 16 and 17 on the APIM connector.

Also attached is the wiring diagram for the Multimedia module. Since base models do not have this module so the wiring is not present. You will need 26, 22, and 20 gauge wire to build a harness for this module.

In addition to this the MFT APIM only has one USB connector so the dash usb port will need to be routed to the rear USB plug on the Multimedia module. The multimedia hub acts like a usb hub basically. You can easily route the dash usb to the console using the original USB wiring. Connect both usb connects (will need micro usb to micro usb adapter) behind the APIM and then at the console end of the original usb port have a USB A adapter to micro USB adapter to plug in to the rear plug on the multimedia module.

TO BE UPDATED WITH MORE INFO WHEN AVAILABLE
SNAG-0610.jpg
SNAG-0632-1.jpg
SNAG-0625-1.jpg
IMG_1593.jpg
connector view.jpg
image.png
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
zackmd1

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
Sync 3 Install

With the Sync 3 system now out, it is indeed possible to swap this into any 2015-2017 mustang!

The Easy Route

Contact [MENTION=20927]OEMRadio[/MENTION] for an up to date quote on a sync 3 system. This will include the Screen, APIM, programming, Plug and Play harness (when available), and additional GPS antenna required for sync 3.

The DIY Route

The DIY route for Sync 3 currently includes just the wiring as sync 3 systems are near impossible to find on eBay. Acquire the sync 3 system from OEMRadio. The good news is that Sync 3 requires less wiring then MFT! Follow the picture below for DIY sync 3 wiring. Sync 3 does not require the sd card multimedia module so this simplifies the wiring to just swapping around pins and adding 4. Those 4 to be added are the rear view camera leads and MS CAN leads. Tie into the rear view camera leads just as MFT above. With the MS CAN leads though, these can now be tapped into from a separate location without the need for splicing! Sync 3 no longer requires the GPSM in base models to function so this module can be removed and the connector can be used to add the MS CAN leads to the APIM. The connector uses a standard Arduino pin header which is very cheap to purchase and would allow for a plug and play MS CAN connection without the need for wire splicing.

Pin 2 from the GPSM connector will go to Pin 16 on the APIM connector
Pin 3 from the GPSM connector will go to Pin 17 on the APIM connector

NOTE: Remove the GPSM under the center top cover on the dash when installing Sync 3. It is no longer needed.

Credit to [MENTION=26132]nerdh3rd[/MENTION] for providing me with the GPSM connector view!
image1.png
image.png
IMG_0662.JPG
2015MustangGPSMConnector.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
zackmd1

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
Installed pictures and videos

[ame]

[ame]
IMG_1817.jpg
IMG_1833.jpg
IMG_1823.jpg
IMG_1829.jpg

Last edited:

Poppacapp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Sweet!

Sponsored

e30og

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Genesis G70 3.3T Sport
good sir you are trailblazing with upgrading the base models, mad props. Brilliant

OP
OP
zackmd1

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
Thanks guys! My printed bezel should show up Tuesday! Once I get that in I can truly finish my install.

V8Venom

700 Club
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500
Vehicle Showcase
Dude that looks great. Can you post a vid with the car in reverse showing the backup camera and please post pics of that printed bezel.:thumbsup:

dubster99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GT PP
Someone should make a kit for this, including the bezel, harnesses, and the harness you have to make on your own....could make a few bucks. This looks intriguing to me, but I HATE wiring and electrical work.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Renner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT SOLD-2015 Ecoboost SOLD
Yep once I see the finished bezel I am doing this.

Great job sir...great job indeed

TJP719

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium AT
Dude...AWESOME job. I wouldn't have dared attempt this myself. Great job man!

sarcean

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang ecoboost
im willing to pay someone to do this for me...I'm afraid I will mess it up