Sponsored

Rumor - The GT500 thread

Doc Holliday

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 GT500
For me the GT500 should be all about straight line speed, especially with the GT350 being the road course car. I'm guessing/hoping for:

5.0 EcoBoost. (Same setup they were testing in that cobra jet)
725-750hp (to top the Hellcat's numbers)
10 speed auto or 7 speed DCT (I can dream, right?)
Decent 315 tires in the back (those 285 goodyears are a joke)
MagneRide with a "drag race" setting.
Sub 3.5 sec 0-60 and sub 11 sec 1/4 mile from the showroom.
Sponsored

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
What are the pros/cons of having the turbos all the way down there? Surely turbo lag would be terrible?
Probably terrible for the street (although that's a relative term), but for a drag strip car it might not be bad if you can load the engine while braking to build boost.

Would be crap for an AutoX though. :eyebulge:

-T

Doc Holliday

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 GT500
No that would not be ideal for a street car, and yes lag would be terrible. The only pro I can think of is that it places them closer to the openings in the bumper on the car that could be used as air inlets directly into the turbos. I guess I should not have said "same setup as the cobra jet". I more wanted to reference that they had been testing a twin turbo 5.0

Sponsored

OP
OP
Twin Turbo

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Probably terrible for the street (although that's a relative term), but for a drag strip car it might not be bad if you can load the engine while braking to build boost.

-T

Thanks.......that confirms my thoughts :)

OP
OP
Twin Turbo

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
I more wanted to reference that they had been testing a twin turbo 5.0
Yes, I had hoped the fact they'd built a V8 with twin turbos was them making a statement that we'd see something similar a few years down the line. Lets hope that's still the case :thumbsup:

cp5899

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Vehicle(s)
2015 ingot silver gt pp
I don't think turbo lag would be an issue at all because ford would size the turbo according to the motor. The only con I had on one of my tt 351 setups that I had the turbos mounted low on was I had to have an electric oil pump to return the oil back to the pan because they were to low for Gravity drain. But for this particular setup I had no other choice so oil pump it was. I had a pump go bad once and it pushed oil through the seals on the turbo and looked like a fleet of bug spraying trucks going down the road.

cp5899

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Vehicle(s)
2015 ingot silver gt pp
Not sure how it would have turbo lag? My low mount setup the turbo inlet was at least 24" from the heads and it made 600ft lbs of tq at 2800 rpm's (going off memory as this was 13 years ago when turbo mustangs.com was around). The car spooled very fast, but the turbos were sized accordingly.

Doc Holliday

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 GT500
The perception of "how bad" turbo lag is is subjective, I suppose. But, generally speaking, the shorter the distance from the exhaust ports to the turbo, the less lag there is. This is one reason that the 6.7 power stroke uses reverse flow heads with a turbo in the valley. Turbo size and design also play a large factor.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro

-T
I totally disagree. I think having the turbos a little farther from the engine will help people to keep the shiny side up.

I wouldn't want to drive a car with 500 ft-lbs of torque at throttle tip-in.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Past GT500's were not too far from that with very little modification.
Right. Not far with mods is not the same as being there from the factory. With this size engine you could put the turbos on the back bumper and make it work fine. They don't need to be right up against the engine.

Doc Holliday

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 GT500
Right. Not far with mods is not the same as being there from the factory. With this size engine you could put the turbos on the back bumper and make it work fine. They don't need to be right up against the engine.
The 2013-14 cars were were there from the factory. Intentionally engineering more lag into the turbo isn't necessarily going to help keep you from blowing the tires off.