Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Moderators.........I hope this is OK here, if not please move to the most appropriate sub-section (perhaps we could/should have a future/rumour section? :) )

The GT500 is already being discussed in a number of threads so I thought it would be good to try and keep the discussion in one place.

OK, the car hasn't officially been recognised by Ford, but then neither was the GT350 until is was recently launched ;) Even Jamal Hameedi said "well, GT350 has good bones" when asked if they would be a GT500, so that's a near a confirmation we've had.

So, lets have your thoughts, hopes and dreams as far as GT500 is concerned.

Me? I want:

• '18MY - coincides with Mustang's first sheetmetal refresh (ideally, I'd like GT500 to have a relatively subtle wide-body look - Fisker's Rocket does this well)
  • 725hp/700lb ft
  • Ecoboost Coyote or
  • Supercharged Coyote 5.0
  • 6-speed manual OR 10-speed auto
  • MagnaRide suspension

GT500 HAS TO REMAIN A V8 please, Ford!!

:ford:
Sponsored

Last edited:

scottpe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 GT 6MT w/ Brembos
I think the GT500 will be an EcoBoost, not only to keep in step with their current marketing thrust, but because it will be easier to get more power out of a smaller displacement V8 with turbos than with a supercharger. The only question here is packaging, and what it will take to shoe-horn the turbo(s) into the engine bay.

I also wouldn't be surprised if they introduce it as a '17 MY, since that coincides with the 50th anniversary of the GT500.

asphal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
The 5.2L voodoo was leaked pretty early IIRC (2013?). If this becomes a 2018 MY car hope to hear more about it towards the end of this year. That would be around the same timing.

I'm hoping for a SC Coyote. It seems the most natural way to go. Let voodoo remain naturally aspirated and stay exclusive to the GT350 for at least a few years. I'm sure the aftermarket will develop for it so it gives Ford some free R&D to see what the engine is capable of handling.

OP
OP
Twin Turbo

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Both good points.

An Ecoboost V8 is certainly more in line with their current ethos, and I certainly wouldn't be against it. As you mention, packaging would likely be an issue and so I'm guessing it would require a lot of rework. I also see and form of FI negating the need to use Voodoo.......and I hope GT500 is as much about low-end torque and top end power.

Certainly a supercharger would be the "easy" route but, as Ford have just proven with Voodoo, they are not afraid of a challenge :)

cp5899

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Vehicle(s)
2015 ingot silver gt pp
I too can't wait for the gt500 (cobra) to come back. 725+ hp sounds great and I wish it was available now! Turbo v8 would be nice and easy to up the power. But truth be told if it has 700+ hp I really don't mind how they get there.

Sponsored

DruidBlack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT
The Coyote has been supercharged to death in the aftermarket. I wanna see something new for the GT500. It's supposed to be the halo car, can't be upstaged by the GT350 which gets so much innovation.

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
Me? I want:
* '18MY
* 750hp/700lb ft
* 7500 RPM Redline
* Ecoboost Coyote 5.2
* Supercharged Coyote 5.2
* 7-speed manual with rev-matching OR 8/10-DCT
* MagnaRide suspension
* CF Wheels
*6pot/4pot brake setup

Last edited:

Farmundeh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic 2015 GT Premium
Me? I want:
* '18MY
* 750hp/700lb ft
* Ecoboost Coyote 5.2
* Supercharged Coyote 5.2
* 7-speed manual with rev-matching OR 8/10-DCT
* MagnaRide suspension
* CF Wheels
*6pot/4pot brake setup
+1. Agreed on all points.

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
Good topic! I'll be throwing my two pennies in here. I need to see more details on the TT 3.5 before I make any decisions.

There is an amazing list of possibilities for the V8 and GT500. Since this very well could be "the last of the V8's" (Madd Maxx), I would like to see the revival of the KR or, as some people know it, King of the Road.

Much like the current GT350, GT350TP and GT350R, I'd like to see our beloved HALO beast do the same. A GT500 and GT500KR... Of course, Ford need to offer all the packs too... Can we maybe have a Drag Pack that "King" Cobra's our King of the Road?

What if the TT 3.5 becomes Ford choice engine in CTSCC GT? Could we maybe see a REAL competition GT500 with a TT 3.5 in GT?

I could live with a SC 5.0 but I highly doubt they will go the usual route. I would like to see an EB lineup, the first DI Coyote with PTWA could be used... Perhaps take it up to 5.4? Some nostalgia this early and a homage to the last Gen 500.

The Voodoo should stay GT350... In fact, I would like to see for take the stroke up to square it up some. I would absolutely LOVE a 5.5 FPC V8... That is HUGE for a FPC!!!

I think a PTWA DI Coyote in a nice Twin Turbo would be on my wish list. A Twin Turbo 5.5 Coyote would be great... but if they do tinker with the Voodoo, who knows. I would almost rather them drop some displacement down to a 5.0 if power isn't an object. Especially if DI is added. Put some of the bore back in, get some more RPM back. Get it up to 9000 :)

Sponsored

Five.Point.Oh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Toyota 4Runner Sport Edition V8 4x4
If there was an EcoBoost 5.0l or 5.2l, wouldn't that conflict with the 3.5l EcoBoost that's in the 2017 GT? I would imagine Ford would just use a version of the 3.5l for the GT500. Just like Ford used a supercharged 5.4l V8 for the 2005 GT and then later used that same motor for the 2007 GT500.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
So, lets have your thoughts, hopes and dreams as far as GT500 is concerned.

Me? I want:

• '18MY - coincides with Mustang's first sheetmetal refresh (ideally, I'd like GT500 to have a relatively subtle wide-body look - Fisker's Rocket does this well)

• 725hp/700lb ft
  • Ecoboost Coyote or
  • Supercharged Coyote 5.0
  • 6-speed manual OR 10-speed auto
  • MagnaRide suspension

GT500 HAS TO REMAIN A V8 please, Ford!!

I think the GT500 will be a Direct Fuel injected Coyote 5.0 w/105% efficient supercharger. Featuring the new dual clutch, producing as much torque as One's right foot demands, instantly.

It will provide all the torque One will need to slip the tires for 200 feet. *burn rubber emote*

:gossip:

OP
OP
Twin Turbo

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
I think the GT500 will be a Direct Fuel injected Coyote 5.0 w/105% efficient supercharger. Featuring the new dual clutch, producing as much torque as One's right foot demands, instantly.

It will provide all the torque One will need to slip the tires for 500 feet. *burn rubber emote*

:gossip:
I'd buy that :)

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
My prediction:

5.2 Coyote
PTWA Lined Cylinders
Cross plane crank
PD Supercharger
Forged Internals
7000 RPM Redline

Engine is designed for immediate, low end torque. Will have a flat torque curve almost all the way to redline. Hosepower will be slightly above the previous GT500, but less than the Hellcat. Performance will be much better due to less weight.

680 HP
3900 lbs
6 speed manual / 10 speed automatic
Convertible option

-T

wproctor411

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT
I would bet on, or wish for, a Coyote with TT. It will need to be 800HP at 7,000 rpm, and sub 3 second 0-60 / 215mph car, just to go over the top of the Hell Cat. You have to set all power to weight to power ratios aside and forget about car dynamics, this is about very big numbers. 800HP/215 mph are very big numbers for a pony car. It will also need 13" wide rear tires at the minimum. Maybe even wide body flares to accomidate because your not mini-tubbing an IRS like you would an SRA. I'm sure it can be done.

Think Diesel wars. Every time the power stroke or cummins goes up, the other goes up by 50 FT LBS. I see the muscle car wars heading the same direction. 50-100HP bumps along the way.

Emissions regulations are getting tougher each year and likely will require excise taxes but probably worth every penny.

So heres to wishing. Honestly if they do want to go big and over the top, just go for 1000HP.
Sponsored