Sponsored

Ecoboost (Fake) Sound by Subaruwrxfan

Renner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT SOLD-2015 Ecoboost SOLD
Removing the fuse doesn't kill the engine noise unless you disconnect the rear mic also. It's not actual engine sounds, it just adds bass in the 2k-3.5k rpm range. I think it sounds better without it.

Videos with mic disconnected?
Sponsored

Nemesys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White S550
Why are people so concerned about him getting money from his subs. Did he hold a gun to their head asking for money?

Whether you enjoy his videos or not isnt the point, his subscribers do and they watch his videos. Its their money and they choose to support a guy they like through donations. We all come upon tough times occasionally and if thats one way of getting through it, why not? To sit behind your computers and cast judgement on some guy making most of his living off Youtube and his subs sounds more like jealously. Come on guys, making money off Youtube and your subs isnt something new. They practically donate everytime they sit through an ad on vids.

JTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Ecoboost
Going to revive an old thread here.

I've put 13,000 miles on my ecoboost without touching any of this sound symposer junk. I pulled the 27 fuse and disconnected the rear mic today because I had nothing better to do.

There is definitely a major difference having the fuse out and mic disconnected.

I'm a shift by ear guy, I can tell you how fast I'm going without looking at the speedometer by seeing what gear I'm in and what the engine sounds like. Immediately after pulling out of my driveway in 1st I could tell there was a lot less engine noise coming into the cabin.

The biggest change in tone is in the 2.5-3rpm range for sure. There's a very distinct sound with everything plugged in at the 2500rpm mark. It's the "Ok upshift please" sound that I hate the most about my ecoboost and pulling the fuse and mic took all that away.

The second biggest change is on high rpm upshifts, there's a distinct sound that comes in that I can't put to words, but it doesn't sound healthy. That is gone as well.

Overall it's just a quieter vehicle, plain and simple. Rev's, accelerating hard, down shifting, cruising....it's all toned down.

In my opinion, there is nothing fake about the engine sounds coming into the cabin of our S550's, however, it is most definitely being amplified by the system. whether that's to keep dumbass's from blowing their engine's or whether it's to make them sound meaner, I don't know.

I will be leaving the 27 fuse out and leaving the rear mic unplugged.

MTWINN

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
I just came across this youtube video that shows how to disconnect the fake exhaust sound in the ecoboost. I had a friend tried it out and it works.
:headbang:

P.S. I really love the magnetic headline holders :clap2:

[ame]

Sponsored

tsunami

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium EcoBoost Convertible
chevy silverado sound cancellation

Chevrolet is heavily promoting sound cancellation for the 2016 big V8 heavy duty Silverado. I guess farmers and truck drivers like a quiet interior.

papinist

The Italian Pony
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stefano
Vehicle(s)
Mustang EcoBoost MT Race Red EURO - NO MORE
I just came across this youtube video that shows how to disconnect the fake exhaust sound in the ecoboost. I had a friend tried it out and it works.
I only noticed two things: the blonde (good) and the hello kitty floor mat (bad) :cool:

acull2000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
iPace
Sorry if this has already been answered, but couple of questions:

- removing fuse 27 takes all power from amp - so this must disable both the active noise cancellation, and the bass sound that is meant to augment the engine/exhaust sound (right?)

- so does removing the rear mic connection disable the active noise cancellation, the augmented bass sound, or both? Or are these actually the same thing?

I kinda figure the mic would be for active noise cancellation (which I want to keep), is there a way to remove the augmented bass alone?

acull2000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
iPace
I'll answer my own question here. Unplugging the mic does NOT prevent the sound augmentation. If anyone tuned wants to prove this, unplug the mic, start the engine, then change tune slot and you will hear the noise changing with rom.

I presume unplugging the mic does remove active noise cancellation (as the system will not know what to cancel).

So are we all doing exactly the wrong thing by removing the mic and disabling ANC but not removing the fake sound?!

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
I'll answer my own question here. Unplugging the mic does NOT prevent the sound augmentation. If anyone tuned wants to prove this, unplug the mic, start the engine, then change tune slot and you will hear the noise changing with rom.

I presume unplugging the mic does remove active noise cancellation (as the system will not know what to cancel).

So are we all doing exactly the wrong thing by removing the mic and disabling ANC but not removing the fake sound?!
You're correct. There's a lot more to it than that. It's actually 2 things combined. There is active noise cancellation and sound augmentation.

The noise cancellation works by picking up sound through the mic and playing it back 180* out of phase through the speakers at an amplitude high enough to provide the desired amount of cancellation. Unplugging the mic will only remove that part of the combined system as you said.

The sound augmentation I believe is done through body control modules and done through the factory amp to the speakers. I think if you really want to disable itt, you'll need to figure out how to disable it in the computer. In the DIY section of the forum, there's a sticky thread up top called Modifying As-Built Data Guide. One of the parameters that was found is for the EB Sound Symposer but I don't think anyone has gotten it to work reliably or completely. It's in the ACM module at address 0727-01-01 xxxx xXxx xxxx .

Sponsored

solodogg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
The sound augmentation I believe is done through body control modules and done through the factory amp to the speakers. I think if you really want to disable itt, you'll need to figure out how to disable it in the computer. In the DIY section of the forum, there's a sticky thread up top called Modifying As-Built Data Guide. One of the parameters that was found is for the EB Sound Symposer but I don't think anyone has gotten it to work reliably or completely. It's in the ACM module at address 0727-01-01 xxxx xXxx xxxx .
Would love to see someone that has the Cobb tuner try changing this ACM setting, and see if the artificial sound still exists. I changed mine from A to 8 (enable to disable), and didn't notice any difference at all. The GT350 guys claim they can hear a difference when adjusting this setting, but it doesn't appear to be the same with the EB.

cthomp21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
After changing out all of my speakers with Polk dB's (components up front and coaxials in the rear deck), my car became nearly undriveable. The drone coming from the speakers was unbearable. I pulled the #27 fuse with no results, so I put it back in. I then disconnected the rear mic, and all of the added noise was eliminated. This was at least discerning to my own ears. I don't believe the artificial sound still exists, as the engine noise / exhaust note is so completely awful sounding right now. I can't imagine Ford sound engineers would program it to sound this bad.

I'm looking at an axle-back to beef up the exhaust note, but the ones that don't sound terrible are exceedingly expensive. Spending $500+ on a set of mufflers/tips seems rather stupid.

Retroflect

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
After changing out all of my speakers with Polk dB's (components up front and coaxials in the rear deck), my car became nearly undriveable. The drone coming from the speakers was unbearable. I pulled the #27 fuse with no results, so I put it back in. I then disconnected the rear mic, and all of the added noise was eliminated.
Are your aftermarket speakers sounding how they should now after disconnecting the rear mic? I'm scheduled to replace all speakers tomorrow, but now I'm worried I'm going to get the dreaded drone everyone refers to. (Originally I had wanted to install the FP tune first to disable the symposer, but they are out of stock now until late Feb/early March.)

cthomp21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
Are your aftermarket speakers sounding how they should now after disconnecting the rear mic? I'm scheduled to replace all speakers tomorrow, but now I'm worried I'm going to get the dreaded drone everyone refers to. (Originally I had wanted to install the FP tune first to disable the symposer, but they are out of stock now until late Feb/early March.)
Yes, they sound quite good.

I ditched the plastic adapter ring and used the old speakers with cones cut out as the mounting points along with sound deadening on the rear deck and foam weatherstrip to eliminate any air gaps. Leaks around the speaker will severely impact its bass response. My installation methods probably made the drone much worse than a simple swap. The drone seemed to be really pronounced in the mid-bass frequencies (where Polk dB's seem a little "brighter").

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
Did you check with Steve Powell at Tasca Ford 800-598-1484 for the FP Tune? You won't find it for less and maybe he still has some in stock.
Sponsored