Sponsored

GT350 vs Modded Boss 302

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
Anything special about that car?
That Boss 302 Laguna Seca was built back in 2010 as the 1st Pilot Production Boss 302 and the earliest built Laguna Seca sold to the general public and came equipped with engine #PP20 therefore the selling price.

I still own the 2nd built Pilot Production Boss 302 assembled in 2010 and the first 4 seat PP car sold to the general public and came equipped with engine #PP10.

PP0002 spent the 2011 calendar year on the NASCAR circuit and according to information from Ford marketing supposedly was a pace car for 2 NASCAR races that year and based on me running it some ~1000 miles on the back roads in the South over the last 5 years it certainly seems to be the fastest of the 9 Boss cars that I have owned.

Hard to believe that engine and chassis is going on 7 years old.

PP0002 is my favorite Boss 302 without question including all of the LS cars that I have owned!

:cheers:
PP0002 061.jpg
PP0002 039.jpg
DSCF0801.jpg
Sponsored

ElAntonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 (Grabber Blue, Electronics)
I traded a Boss for my 350. [MENTION=25497]rotisserie_gold[/MENTION] had a '14 GT/CS while I had the Boss, and now she has a '17 Roush RS3, so there's some comparison to a standard/modded Mustang I can make.

For lack of a better way of putting it, the Boss feels more like a modded GT, while the GT350 feels more like something you can't just replicate with mods.

A few points that haven't been covered, I think.

Asides from the MT-82 shifter situation, the GT350 gearing is wonderful. On paper it looks odd, with a long first gear and then 2-6 being pretty close spaced, but in practice it feels awesome. You have a lot of good overlap, so it's ahrd to really grab the wrong gear as long as you keep over 4000 RPM.

I'm a mere mortal, not a professional, and frankly the GT350 feels about 1.3631x10^9 times more confident than the Boss did. And if you want some non-science, per the on-board accelerometer my GT350 has a peak forward acceleration about 0.05 G higher than the Boss. Honestly mag benches aside, the pure butt dyno tells me the GT350 is faster in real situations...it's just set up better.

The sound alone is worth the price of entry, too. Youtube videos don't do it justice.

Also, the 350 (mine is an electronics pack) is a good bit more well equipped than a Boss. Sirius/XM, better stereo, dual zone climate control.

Finally, and this one is pretty minor: the frakkin' shift lights. The thing with the Boss/350 motors is that they're really comfortable at high revs, so you'll bang onto the rev limiter before it "feels" like you need to shift. With the 350 shift lights it's just one more thing that makes the car more comfortable/fun

---

The Boss is a fine, fine car. If it weren't for the 350 I would say it was the perfect Mustang for my tastes (I'm an NA guy). But the 350 feels light years ahead of the Boss, IMHO.

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
I traded a Boss for my 350. @rotisserie_gold had a '14 GT/CS while I had the Boss, and now she has a '17 Roush RS3, so there's some comparison to a standard/modded Mustang I can make.

For lack of a better way of putting it, the Boss feels more like a modded GT, while the GT350 feels more like something you can't just replicate with mods.

A few points that haven't been covered, I think.

Asides from the MT-82 shifter situation, the GT350 gearing is wonderful. On paper it looks odd, with a long first gear and then 2-6 being pretty close spaced, but in practice it feels awesome. You have a lot of good overlap, so it's ahrd to really grab the wrong gear as long as you keep over 4000 RPM.

I'm a mere mortal, not a professional, and frankly the GT350 feels about 1.3631x10^9 times more confident than the Boss did. And if you want some non-science, per the on-board accelerometer my GT350 has a peak forward acceleration about 0.05 G higher than the Boss. Honestly mag benches aside, the pure butt dyno tells me the GT350 is faster in real situations...it's just set up better.

The sound alone is worth the price of entry, too. Youtube videos don't do it justice.

Also, the 350 (mine is an electronics pack) is a good bit more well equipped than a Boss. Sirius/XM, better stereo, dual zone climate control.

Finally, and this one is pretty minor: the frakkin' shift lights. The thing with the Boss/350 motors is that they're really comfortable at high revs, so you'll bang onto the rev limiter before it "feels" like you need to shift. With the 350 shift lights it's just one more thing that makes the car more comfortable/fun

---

The Boss is a fine, fine car. If it weren't for the 350 I would say it was the perfect Mustang for my tastes (I'm an NA guy). But the 350 feels light years ahead of the Boss, IMHO.
There is no question that the GT350 is a superior car to the Boss 302 especially when it comes to the steering, handling and braking side of things.

As far as the engines themselves I enjoy both the Coyote and Voodoo engines equally.

Based on my experience the Boss 302 engine has had very few issues but with the Voodoo engine only time will tell how it makes out on the long run. Like any new innovation there are going to be growing pains especially with an engine of this magnitude.

Having said that we have to keep in mind that the Boss 302 program (Project 747) was launched back in 2009 and the GT350 program probably some 4 or 5 years later so lots of technology and improvements can be had by Ford during those years.

I certainly enjoy the refinement of the GT350 cars but also enjoy the pure rawness of the Boss 302 cars as well.

Like you I am a NA guy and not a big fan of FI especially the SC engines but I am sure that the HP NA will eventually disappear as it is only a matter of time.

Nice to experience the best of both worlds!

;)

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
The GT350 does feel like one of those cars that just cannot be replicated on the aftermarket or even close for that matter. I have a guy at autocross who said he would trade is modded '15 GT for my car straight up and said it was a great deal. I almost pissed my pants from laughing.

Header back exhaust, shock and struts, springs, and a tune doesn't make a modded GT worth a GT350. Especially for a man who's just over the Coyote engine (me). Had one, been there, done that, had a great time, but doesn't do it for me anymore.

OP
OP

ivanuke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 F-150 Ecoboost, 2016 Mag Trk GT350 On order
Thanks everyone for their great advice. Im looking at a 2012 White boss 302 44k miles for 26k. I understand the GT350 is a better car from the factory (I loved mine when I had it) but based on the research and every ones input, the Boss is a much better value for the performance given todays pricing and modding potential.

Sponsored

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
Thanks everyone for their great advice. Im looking at a 2012 White boss 302 44k miles for 26k. I understand the GT350 is a better car from the factory (I loved mine when I had it) but based on the research and every ones input, the Boss is a much better value for the performance given todays pricing and modding potential.

Good luck with purchasing and modding a 2012 Performance White Boss 302 along with some detailed pictures of your new Track Toy!

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
For what it's worth, my 2011 GT had the following mods:

Koni Sports, Ford Racing P springs, adjustable panhard bar, LCA's and correction brackets, stainless steel brake lines, Carbotech AX6 pads on Brembos, TSW Interlagos wheels, 285 tires all around, tune and intake, header back exhaust, revving out to 7300. I basically had a Boss and then some. The GT350 is in a completely different class of control, confidence, and predictability.

Student Driver

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Roy
Vehicle(s)
Broken Mustang
nastang87xx, "MAGNATIC" !!!! I practically spit my coffee all over my work PC...HAHAHAHAHA

Great comment, 5.0L. It's a wonderful engine don't get me wrong but I just needed to move on". I have owned 3 different version of the 5.0, 12 GT, 12 Boss and a 15 GT. They me be more robust vs the voodoo but know where near as exotic and unique as the Voodoo. The Voodoo is a sophisticated grown up version of the coyote with fancy "I" talian shoes...

I am just a newbie, but isn't it spelled MagneRide

Sponsored

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
The 'A' is supposed to be capitalized. :D