Sponsored

New shifter - pls help me choose

laardilla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT FB 2015 EU
Hello mustang fans.

I need a bit advice from more experienced members about manual shifter.

The thing is:
I got steeda tri-ax (stick only, not whole MT82 tri-ax shifter) even before a took my new 2016 PP GT (EU model) from dealer, got it installed in ford dealership, BUT even it was proper installation, the reverse lock is not working at all - you can simply throw reverse even withouth raising the lock collar, just little more force.
I really hate that.
So - i let the dealership to install the OEM shifter stick back.
OMG - its so long throws! And the wiggle... and the hight...
Yes, i dont miss the gears now, but the feel just isnt there.

So - as i dont wanna go another trial of error with shifter, i have 3 options and If you can give me tip what will you choose and why, i would be very happy.

My main goal is - precise shifting and working reverse lock, shorter throws and shorter stick but none or just a very very tiny increase of volume. Its my daily drive so dont wanna hear too much noises all the time.
...and reasonably price if possible. Need to ship it from US and pay VAT...

My options:
1 - Ford performance Shifter M-7210-M8
http://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-RACING...ash=item33a382242e:g:hNkAAOSwDNdVy70I&vxp=mtr
----should be no problem with reverse since its Ford made, but i read somewhere that its a bit noisy....?

2 - Hurst 3916036 Indy Manual Shifter
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hurst-39160...ash=item58ef2dec7e:g:bnAAAOSw2gxYpxlu&vxp=mtr
----found on ebay, never heard of it tbh but price is OK and includes the base bushing already - any experience??

3 - take the OEM shifter stick (or maybe buy new one) and cut it shirter and ma new thread on top - this was even offered me in ford dealership as possible sollution. It will help the throw and height, but still keep the same in therm of "wiggle" :)

I can thing about Barton Center Shaft shifter too buit iam not sure they shipp in EU and i didnt found them on ebay.
I was also looking for Boomba but you need some special too ffor that and thats another like 100+ dollars...

Thank you very much for tips, pls dont say change whole shifter for MGW or so, dont wanna pay so much for it and as i wrote, its my daily, not race car so i need some sort of comfort and silence :)
Sponsored

kluke15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GTPP
i havent swapped shifters yet but from reading alot of posts from those who have youre about to be told to get MGW and be done. Barton ive also heard good things from. probably last would be the steeda tri ax. those would probably be the only three i personally would even look at currently. havent heard much of anyone elses stuff. i doubt MGW would be noisy since its push down to reverse and there wouldnt be extra parts to rattle like a lockout collar. that being said it would vibrate more cause its connected to tranny. barton has ability to connect to body or tranny. if you body mount then it should be the same or better as stock. tranny mount again will give you the vibration. and honestly i dont know anything about tri ax except that some people have it and love it .

MGW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 MUSTANG
Hello mustang fans.

I need a bit advice from more experienced members about manual shifter.

The thing is:
I got steeda tri-ax (stick only, not whole MT82 tri-ax shifter) even before a took my new 2016 PP GT (EU model) from dealer, got it installed in ford dealership, BUT even it was proper installation, the reverse lock is not working at all - you can simply throw reverse even withouth raising the lock collar, just little more force.
I really hate that.
So - i let the dealership to install the OEM shifter stick back.
OMG - its so long throws! And the wiggle... and the hight...
Yes, i dont miss the gears now, but the feel just isnt there.

So - as i dont wanna go another trial of error with shifter, i have 3 options and If you can give me tip what will you choose and why, i would be very happy.

My main goal is - precise shifting and working reverse lock, shorter throws and shorter stick but none or just a very very tiny increase of volume. Its my daily drive so dont wanna hear too much noises all the time.
...and reasonably price if possible. Need to ship it from US and pay VAT...

My options:
1 - Ford performance Shifter M-7210-M8
http://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-RACING...ash=item33a382242e:g:hNkAAOSwDNdVy70I&vxp=mtr
----should be no problem with reverse since its Ford made, but i read somewhere that its a bit noisy....?

2 - Hurst 3916036 Indy Manual Shifter
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hurst-39160...ash=item58ef2dec7e:g:bnAAAOSw2gxYpxlu&vxp=mtr
----found on ebay, never heard of it tbh but price is OK and includes the base bushing already - any experience??

3 - take the OEM shifter stick (or maybe buy new one) and cut it shirter and ma new thread on top - this was even offered me in ford dealership as possible sollution. It will help the throw and height, but still keep the same in therm of "wiggle" :)

I can thing about Barton Center Shaft shifter too buit iam not sure they shipp in EU and i didnt found them on ebay.
I was also looking for Boomba but you need some special too ffor that and thats another like 100+ dollars...

Thank you very much for tips, pls dont say change whole shifter for MGW or so, dont wanna pay so much for it and as i wrote, its my daily, not race car so i need some sort of comfort and silence :)

my advice...WAIT!!!

We have something for you coming really soon :D:D:D:D

George

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
I had an MGW on my S197. I have the stock shifter on my S550, but that will be changed to an MGW as soon as I have the coin. Wait, and do it right. The MGW is that good.

JR

Sponsored

armykyle1 [HACKED ACCOUNT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP premium
I have the Barton hybrid 3 flat stick in my car. I like it more and more and more Everytime I drive my car. It looks fantastic too. Shoot them an email and ask if they'll ship to you. They're very prompt on responding to emails.

I went trans mount, buy it it's too much NVH for you, they give you the body mount option too.

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
Boomba install tool is free, just a $100 deposit until you return it.
Boomba arm is a super easy install (15 minutes) with great results.

West TX GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
2018 Royal Crimson GT
If you follow the instructions and put the supplied dynamat where they tell you there will be minimal to no NVH increase with the MGW. In my opinion Trans mount > body mount for the solid feel. I'm sure the other full shifter options are solid choices but the MGW kit is so complete.
Why wouldn't you want the best on your car? It's cheaper to get the best first (all the top shifters are in the same price neighborhood anyway) than to try several half measures and end up with a complete shifter anyway. Trust me, you'll be glad you did it once you feel the first full throttle 2-3 shift.

johnny.3sgte

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I second what everyone's opinion on the MGW, I'm running their Race-Spec (25%) currently on my car -- honestly, every penny was worth it. Everyone who drives my car have had nothing but great things to say about it. I say it all the time, the satisfaction of shifting gears is like racking a bolt action rifle.

But if you don't like the idea of the "push-down" reverse, then I would go with the Barton Hybrid. Haven't driven it, but everyone's been saying its an upgrade over their last design. I just don't like the idea of utilizing the stock linkage.

Sponsored

armykyle1 [HACKED ACCOUNT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP premium
I second what everyone's opinion on the MGW, I'm running their Race-Spec (25%) currently on my car -- honestly, every penny was worth it. Everyone who drives my car have had nothing but great things to say about it. I say it all the time, the satisfaction of shifting gears is like racking a bolt action rifle.

But if you don't like the idea of the "push-down" reverse, then I would go with the Barton Hybrid. Haven't driven it, but everyone's been saying its an upgrade over their last design. I just don't like the idea of utilizing the stock linkage.
The Barton doesn't use anything from the stock shifter. It's full replacement. Which comes in with the pull up design or flat stick. Please research before spreading misinformation.

johnny.3sgte

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
The Barton doesn't use anything from the stock shifter. It's full replacement. Which comes in with the pull up design or flat stick. Please research before spreading misinformation.
Their linkage is still designed after the stock with the flex/pivot point on it, if I'm not mistaken. It might replace it with a bulkier option, but it's still the same design nonetheless, whereas the MGW has a solid piece with no flex/pivot point on the linkage.

West TX GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
2018 Royal Crimson GT
It is a flexible linkage that can be locked with a couple bolts. The thing that weirds me out a little is their solid mount arms attach to the transmission mount instead of the transmission itself. That mount is connected through rubber and known to have play. I'm sure they are much smarter than I am but it seems a like an odd choice.

MrVu1101

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Angelo
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP, 401A
MGW. It's fantastic.
Sponsored