Sponsored

Moddiction unit w/ Android stick vs. Aftermarket Android head unit

PamAndJim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang
Now that we're starting to see some aftermarket kits come to market, I am starting to rethink my audio plan. Originally, my plan was to buy the Moddiction unit and add an Android stick. I knew this wouldn't give me the same experience as a fully integrated Android head unit. But, I figured it would allow me to do some cool stuff and would still be wayyyy better than the crappy base screen. In the last couple days I have really started to look sat the kits being released by Scosche and Metra. I'm considering pairing them with something along the lines of a Pioneer 4200 or Kenwood DDX9703S. I used to be (10 years ago) really into car and built a few"bigger" systems (i.e. 4 x 12's in my extended cab Ranger). But, in the car I just want something nice and simple. I'll eventually upgrade the front speakers to components. For sub(s) I want something small, probably a single 10" or 12" or maybe even a pair of 8". Everything would likely be run off a 5 channel amp. I am also a techie kind of guy that likes to tinker and play with stuff (hence the desire to add the Android stick to the Moddiction vs. just running it as is). In a perfect world, where money is no object, I would definitely go the Metra/Scosche route. But, I can't ignore the fact that the mounting kit costs about the same as the head unit itself (and not much less that the Moddiction unit) and that that $500 could go toward other parts of the system. Also, there is something about the aftermarket kits that just don't quite look right. Basically, I am looking for what will give me the best bang for the buck, a nice sounding system that doesn't break the bank. I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts and opinions on the two options.
Sponsored

soldier989

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP Premium
The Scosche and Metra unit is a personal preference, to me, it looks like buttsauce. I have the Moddiction unit and after some of the primary bugs were worked out, its been a solid and great looking upgrade from the 4" base unit. Keep in mind though, it doesn't have any RCA outs, so if you're looking to get some kind of system in there, you'll have to find a solution (maybe tap into wires).

I've been eyeing the Tesla unit myself, and thought about selling my Moddiction unit. Again, there's personal preference involved with this decision. For me, I think the OEM look of the Moddiction unit looks great. It flows well, makes good use of space and looks complete. I am a fan of having the physical buttons too. The Tesla headunit has green LEDs in its buttons (so if color matching is a problem for you, then right out of the box you need to redo the LEDs). There's also no more SYNC and is replaced with Google (probably better).

There's the horizontal Android unit that retains the CD player and HVAC controls. Personally I think this one has the better layout when compared to the Tesla.....but they put some kind of brushed aluminum around the tablet and then plastic around the buttons. That seems like it would look dumb.

Finally, for best bang for your buck, a TomTop unit is just over $200 and there's been some real progress made on a thread by StangATX. It gets your a 8" touchscreen, SYNC, looks like an OEM unit and has NAV.

Sorry for the long post, just my .02

[email protected]

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick D
Vehicle(s)
red gt auto
android stick with the tomtop might be an interesting idea since its cheaper. how exactly does the android stick work?

SheStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT Oxford White
^^Yes, please elaborate on the Android stick....

myjaja

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang 5.0
android stick with the tomtop might be an interesting idea since its cheaper. how exactly does the android stick work?
I don't see that working as all the android sticks Ive seen use hdmi. The tomtop doesnt have hdmi but the moddiction unit does.

Sponsored

PatrickHenninger

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT - Oxford White
I can get the Moddiction units for $350 each, is that the normal price?

soldier989

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP Premium
Lol, maybe for Moddiction it is. They're listed at $600

PatrickHenninger

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lol, maybe for Moddiction it is. They're listed at $600
Ah, I've been dealing with the same supplier in the Tesla group buy, they offered the unbranded Moddiction (Sintegrate) units to me for $350 each if I order enough of them.

soldier989

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP Premium
Wow, I imagine you can get people on that bandwagon. But that lowers my chance of reselling my Moddiction unit for a good price and getting the Tesla.

You dont want to do that...right? (Kidding)

PatrickHenninger

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wow, I imagine you can get people on that bandwagon. But that lowers my chance of reselling my Moddiction unit for a good price and getting the Tesla.

You dont want to do that...right? (Kidding)
I'm already in too deep with this 2nd Tesla group buy to even consider another large order for a long time... Your Mod unit will be long sold before I even consider that venture.

Sponsored
OP
OP
PamAndJim

PamAndJim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang

50Mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Lincoln Corsair & 1990 Mustang GT. 2019 Mustang GT PP2 (Sold), 2019 Lincoln MKZ (Sold), 2017 Mustang GT PP (Sold), 2009 Civic Si (Sold)
Ah, I've been dealing with the same supplier in the Tesla group buy, they offered the unbranded Moddiction (Sintegrate) units to me for $350 each if I order enough of them.
If you can lock me down for $350 on one of the units, I am in!

soldier989

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP Premium
Selling my Moddiction unit, its posted in the marketplace
Sponsored