Sponsored

ALP install DIY

FranzVonHoffer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Mustang Base GT TP
Install of ALP's parking sensors.

ALP comes with a CPU you have to stash somewhere out of site, a controller, a dash light and four sensors.

http://i.imgur.com/CeF9f0B.jpg

I removed the following inside panels:
Rear truck panel
Passenger rear quarter panel
Passenger lower door sill trim
Passenger kick trim and fuse cover
Passenger tranny tunnel trim (optional)
Driver tranny tunnel trim (optional)
Stick shift cover
Change bin cover

I’ve seen two other S550 Mustang installs and so far the best location for the controller seems to be in the change bin so I decided to follow the crowd and mount it there. Be advised when you pull that little plate off it only goes back on one way so orient your controller correctly when you tape it down.

These Mustangs are so easy to route wiring because all the panels are so loose and flexible. You can run cable or wire right behind the dash and over the transmission tunnel with mechanical fingers.

ALP comes with a dash light which I stuck right next to my Valentine One remote display. Telescope the wheel out and drop it all the way down and you’ll have room to run the wire. Pop out that panel and drill a hole to match the diameter of the light then pop it in. Be advised the base to that panel has to be cut to accommodate the wiring for the light but I just clipped it with some dia cutters and it cleared fine.

I redneck wired it straight to the fuse panels for a bench test. I forgot to order more Micro2 add-a-circuits so I’m riding like this till next weekend. Fuse 23 is switchable.

I wanted to install the CPU in the space where the manual goes but it’s already full of wiring for my Valentine One/ Remote Display/ Bluetooth splitter so I had to mount it to the back of the glove box.

I mounted the rear heads by the license plate. These things need to be aligned level and perpendicular to the road. ALP supplies you a square level to use but I prefer to use my own level. I ran a metal ruler across two floor jacks to make sure they were square on the X axis, then used hand level to check the Y axis. Did the same for the heads up front.

I ran the rear wiring along the existing conduit the Mustang has routed and zip-tied it at every junction. You need to keep track of the heads so I tape them up like ships wiring. Green/Starboard-passenger side, Red-Port-Driver side. I used double tape for rear, single for front.

Ran the wiring down the passenger door sill and into the foot well.

Front heads I installed at the outer edge of the bottom intake under the nose section. This required me to punch holes the lower honeycomb so the wiring would fit. I was going to punch through the firewall but with all that room in the fender I decided to just run it through there. Saved a ton of time and I can zip tie it in place at multiple locations for stability.

ALP has a specific order the heads need to connect to the CPU.

It pains me to have this nonsense in my glove box but this how I’m going to go with it. Probably some of you ambitious types can do a better location for the CPU but be advised when you do any firmware updates or change your profile setting you need to have access to the top of this CPU to stick the jump drive in with your new programs. So I wanted it very accessible.

I got on the ALP website to setup profiles for my ALP. Downloaded all this and a new voice pack to a ScanDisk jump drive and plugged it into the car. Note: The ALP gave me a low voltage warning when I tried to program it with the vehicle in accessory mode so I had to start it and program it while it’s running.

It flickers the lights for about five minutes then goes green (or blue in my case sense I have multiple profiles) when it’s done.

Restarted the system, verified settings then called it a night.

No more bumping my chin splitter into curbs.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
FranzVonHoffer

FranzVonHoffer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Mustang Base GT TP
Addendum: I recently added a third head up front. Be advised if you add a third parking sensor up front you need to move the outer heads to F1 and F3 then put the new head in F2. Apparently they fire in sequence.

I re-aligned all the heads so they are straight and level to the road.

OP
OP
FranzVonHoffer

FranzVonHoffer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Mustang Base GT TP
Sounds like you'll be parking safely. But I'd avoid parking in Virginia.

Sponsored

plc268

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Race Red
Lol. "Parking sensors"

Good looking install. I'm thinking about doing this myself as I've seen increased laser usage in my area.

OP
OP
FranzVonHoffer

FranzVonHoffer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Mustang Base GT TP
Lol. "Parking sensors"

Good looking install. I'm thinking about doing this myself as I've seen increased laser usage in my area.
If you pull the trigger and want to get it tested PM me. We get a testing group together a few times a year. Much better to sort out issues against friendly fire vs out on the road.

Banjo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP manual
Man, I like my gadgets but holy cluttered windshield Batman! Nice to see this can be added after the fact though. Any reason to go with this over the factory option or just the cost? Personally I don't see as much value in this now that I have a backup camera.

OP
OP
FranzVonHoffer

FranzVonHoffer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Mustang Base GT TP
Man, I like my gadgets but holy cluttered windshield Batman! Nice to see this can be added after the fact though. Any reason to go with this over the factory option or just the cost? Personally I don't see as much value in this now that I have a backup camera.
The ALP is pretty discreet, it sits in the change dish in the center console. However, the scanner, dash cam and radar detectors clutter up the windshield. I'd have to go Stinger VIP to get this level of radar detection and I don't have that kind of budget.

The back up camera is good enough for most folks. But I like the extra assurance I'm not going to run into anything I can't handle. The ALP goes the extra mile to cover all kinds of obstructions.

Sponsored

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
Nice install! I'll be installing a 5 Sensor ALP into my car as soon as I get it.

What front plate bracket are you using? I was worried if there was room for an ALP sensor above the Sto-n-Sho bracket.

OP
OP
FranzVonHoffer

FranzVonHoffer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Mustang Base GT TP
Nice install! I'll be installing a 5 Sensor ALP into my car as soon as I get it.

What front plate bracket are you using? I was worried if there was room for an ALP sensor above the Sto-n-Sho bracket.
It's a StoNsho bracket and it has plenty of room.

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
OP
OP
FranzVonHoffer

FranzVonHoffer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Mustang Base GT TP
About 9 months in I downloaded the stat files from the CPU and anyone that doubt the Mustang is a Lidar target read it and weep. HPD has shot me about 25 times in the last 9 months. Pro Laser and ProLite are HPDs choice, I've got about 10 hits from a testing unit and a local PD by my mom uses a Pro Lite but other than that most of those are from HPD.

Sponsored