Sponsored

2018/19 Shelby GT500 Mustang Spotted! Twin Turbo V8 Powered? [UPDATED WITH VIDEO]

TexArmageddon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette
I'm gonna have to call BS... I was giving you a little ear till you said the 5.2L was too young for the 500. I would remind you that the 500 received a fairly new to the scene FI 5.4L in 2007, as it had been on the market about the same length of time the 5.2L has thus far.

The 5.2L in CPC configuration, which if I'm not mistaken is what was in the Daytona Mustang GT4, performed flawlessly. It will work just fine blown or turbocharged as well. (Edited to add that it will work just fine with an OPG upgrade)

If there is a 500, it will have something new and game-changing.
Not quite sure what you are trying to say here...., but the 5.4 4v motor was far from new to the scene before they ran FI through it. The 5.4 DOHC motor first started in 1999 guy meaning it stayed N/A for around 7 years before they finally ran boost through it...

Even if you're talking about in S/C applications... the 5.4 4V had already proven itself in numerous applications...

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
My guess is the "19 MY GT350 will remain the same if is happens at all and the next car will not be a GT500
Surely you don't mean the same as the '15. Especially not with PDI sorted.

The GT350 could realistically be 600hp N/A from the factory with that setup. IF it included a 10 speed auto option, methinks it would humble the supercharged ZL1 and leave the big dog 500 to more important prey.

havasu486

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT350 Electronics Package, Lead Foot Gray
Interesting Ted.....and that's why I put GT500 in inverted commas. I've read elsewhere that the next halo-Stang will NOT be called GT500. They didn't say it wouldn't be a Shelby......just not a GT500.

I'll admit, I'd find it odd if there is a facelifted '19MY GT350 (with or without mechanical updates). I'd have thought, if they were going to do this, it would have been for the '18MY along with the Ecoboost and GT......but we know that isn't happening. Would this be the first time a Mustang model has been a year late in getting a facelift?
I know there are many "experts" on these forums but the one I trust regarding the GT500 being put on the shelf for the time being is usually very acurate. Something is coming but it appears GT500 it will not be.

This new Halo-Stang, I liked that, could be a MY '18 or "19 and Ford historically will not have two vehicles out in one year. Therefore I do not see any changes to the GT350 for what might be only one year. If so very insignificant with low R&D costs.

It's fun to speculate. :ford:

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
Not quite sure what you are trying to say here...., but the 5.4 4v motor was far from new to the scene before they ran FI through it. The 5.4 DOHC motor first started in 1999 guy meaning it stayed N/A for around 7 years before they finally ran boost through it...

Even if you're talking about in S/C applications... the 5.4 4V had already proven itself in numerous applications...
A lot of the knowledge on the FI 5.4L in the 07 GT500 was derived from the 05-06 Ford GT. The advancements were utilized on that platform in an aluminum block though, and with a different oil system and S/C. So, in essence, that powerplant was really new to Ford in 2007, despite the history of other 5.4L FI units prior.

Sponsored

JoeySD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joey
Vehicle(s)
16' BMW M2, 6MT, Long Beach Blue Metalic
5.0 stays...5.2 and 4.8 for other Fords (i.e. Expedition, F150, etc) all apparently based on Coyote architecture
Never ever doubt Topnotch !! He is wise and all knowing !! :hail:

Dig-It

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
GT500KR (0758), GT500 (N2617), GT500 (N3432)
I know there are many "experts" on these forums but the one I trust regarding the GT500 being put on the shelf for the time being is usually very acurate. Something is coming but it appears GT500 it will not be.

This new Halo-Stang, I liked that, could be a MY '18 or "19 and Ford historically will not have two vehicles out in one year. Therefore I do not see any changes to the GT350 for what might be only one year. If so very insignificant with low R&D costs.

It's fun to speculate. :ford:
'03 & '04 Cobra & MACH I.

TexArmageddon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette
A lot of the knowledge on the FI 5.4L in the 07 GT500 was derived from the 05-06 Ford GT. The advancements were utilized on that platform in an aluminum block though, and with a different oil system and S/C. So, in essence, that powerplant was really new to Ford in 2007, despite the history of other 5.4L FI units prior.

Even then... the 5.4 4V had been around long enough in truck/SUV and race form for at LEAST 5 years( Not including PreRelease/ Development time/ R & D) to figure that motor out... The 5.2 has only been around for 1 year and some months.... it's not even really a valid comparison imo.

TexArmageddon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette
Personally, I do not expect a GT500 until the 2020 model year.. it would make more sense to see a 4.8 TT motor there or a S/C CPC 5.2 here than now

hated

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 gt500
Nothing is coming. No one with any real knowledge has ever said that something was coming. Just pipe dreams and speculation from enthusiasts.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Even then... the 5.4 4V had been around long enough in truck/SUV and race form for at LEAST 5 years( Not including PreRelease/ Development time/ R & D) to figure that motor out... The 5.2 has only been around for 1 year and some months.... it's not even really a valid comparison imo.
I don't know why you wouldn't count pre-release and development time. IMO that's where the most accurate and important information is gathered. Yes, customer data is meaningful, but not more so than actual controlled testing information. The 5.2 is probably better just because Ford implemented improvements to their development programs based on lessons learned from the previous engines like the 5.4.

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
Not only that... I didn't want to go deeper into this debate given its lack of merit, but here goes...

The 07 GT500 had its own block, utilized an upper end similar to the 05-06 Ford GT, but depended on camshafts from the 03-04 Cobra. Does that sound like any other 5.4L Ford had been using prior? No...

Ford did have the 5.4L in the 2000 Cobra R, but that was a unique powerplant derived from the Lincoln 5.4L 32-valve engine in the 99 Navigator.

So, again, my argument was valid. The 5.2L has been in development since 2012, and now produced with better technology than the 07 GT500 which appeared to be largely a parts-bin engine.

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
I think they are testing TWO Ecoboost designs in Arizona, some say the one with the hood bump is Supercharged. It is possible they offer a GT500 w/ SC to go head to head with the ZL1LE. However, there are TWO separate Twin or Bi-Turbo designs that they may be testing.

One is a Parallel Twin or BiT Turbo like the AMG 4.0... the other is a Hot V design like BMW where both turbos sit where the intake is and exhaust flow is reversed (see Ford Powerstroke).

There is a very good possibility there are two GT500's, one making 650-675hp and being either a Supercharged Coyote, a Hot V BiTurbo or, maybe even the Ford GT's TT3.5 called the GT500.

The other will showcase a State of the Art, Twin or BiT Ecoboost V8 making 808hp. It appears they have lengthened the front overhang to accommodate a large heat exchanger and possibly making room for Turbos mounted forward and down.

HCT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Charger Hellcat
I think they are testing TWO Ecoboost designs in Arizona, blah blah blah.
Honestly, thePill, no matter what Ford eventually comes out with I just know you're going to say "I called it!" because at various times you've confidently asserted pretty much every possible variation. :lol:

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
It won't be less than 100 hp over what the zl1 makes.

...and it won't have fewer cylinders.

Still wondering if the Mach 1 gets a historical change.

It's one of the coolest names in sports car/ pony car history and it literally is a declaration of insane speed.
Sponsored