Sponsored

Will we ever see an Automatic GT500?

cfl4rat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Truck
They can throw the 10 speed auto in the trash! I'd gladly pay the extra for a DCT....
Sponsored

Last edited:

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I don't want a 1 trick pony (Hellcat). I hope it blows the doors off a GT350 on the strip and at the track, even if it's only for a few laps - like the Porsche Turbo & GT2 are capable of quicker lap times than the more pure Porsche GT3 track-focused car.

It wouldn't surprise me to see an auto or DCT car in a halo Mustang since eventually manual transmissions will become obsolete and only in demand by a small group of purists, since DCT & Autos are more comfortable, less of a hassle, and quicker than a standard manual.
IOW, you're not particularly interested in developing any more skill or demanding anything more on your part than is minimally necessary. Can you explain how that's a good thing?

Please don't suggest that just because Ferrari, Lamborghini, (mostly) Porsche, and others have moved in that direction it's a good thing simply because that's what they did. That only says you're carrying around more envy than you know what to do with. For the record, I've driven cars from all three of the above-identified makes in paddle-shifted form - very briefly, but very hard - and they all felt that missing a clutch pedal constituted a net loss to the experience.

All that said, I will give you your "quicker" claim, even though that's really irrelevant in almost all of the driving miles you'll ever do. As long as you'll agree that being more involved in the details of driving isn't necessarily a bad thing. Fair enough?

Norm

Silver_Bullet_S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rashad
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT Premium
With the 2018 GT350 being offered with the 7speed dual clutch auto, i don't see why the GT500, or whatever it's going to be called, have it offered as an option. the manual has been kept in the halo mustang car for years. With Chevy and Dodge switching to offering autos, it's about time Ford hopped on the train. I don't think the 500 will be a 10 speed auto though, most likely the 7spd dual clutch the 350 is getting.

I'd trade my 16 in a heartbeat if they offered the new gt500 in an auto. i have really bad knees and driving manual after about 30 minutes is hell.

we'll see

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
Where did you read about a 2018 gt350 let alone a dual clutch?

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Please don't suggest that just because Ferrari, Lamborghini, (mostly) Porsche, and others have moved in that direction it's a good thing simply because that's what they did. That only says you're carrying around more envy than you know what to do with. For the record, I've driven cars from all three of the above-identified makes in paddle-shifted form - very briefly, but very hard - and they all felt that missing a clutch pedal constituted a net loss to the experience.
I've driven a GT3 and F430 with the paddle shifters very aggressively on a road course and I agree a manual transmission is a lot more enjoyable. I have no problem with Ford offering an auto or DCT, but I won't be a buyer.

I think in the years to come we will see more manual transmissions in the high end brands, because that's what many enthusiasts want.

Sponsored

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
Let's see,...............the C7 Z06 has an automatic option, so does the Hellcat Challenger, as does the 6th generation ZL1.
So yes, the new GT500 will have an automatic option as well.

speedrx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT500
The 2018 GT350 is getting a 7 speed dual-clutch??

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
IOW, you're not particularly interested in developing any more skill or demanding anything more on your part than is minimally necessary. Can you explain how that's a good thing?

All that said, I will give you your "quicker" claim, even though that's really irrelevant in almost all of the driving miles you'll ever do. As long as you'll agree that being more involved in the details of driving isn't necessarily a bad thing. Fair enough?

Norm
DCTs are faster than manual transmissions, are more engaging than traditional "old-school" automatics, and are the way of the future. Look at any stats on manual transmission sales, they are quite bad and getting worse.

There's no denying that manual transmissions are "more engaging" and "involved", which makes driving more fun when you're not driving the limit and breaking the law on the street, but for outright performance, it is slower than a DCT car. I really dont care either way since I'll always have a manual transmission car, but it's hard to deny where the industry is headed... To make matters worse, the writing is probably on the wall for NA cars, non-hybrids, as well as driving them ourselves...

Silver_Bullet_S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rashad
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT Premium
Where did you read about a 2018 gt350 let alone a dual clutch?
I read it not too long ago. Not from a junk site, i just cant remember where. I pray that its true because it paves the way for the gt500 getting it

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
DCTs are faster than manual transmissions, are more engaging than traditional "old-school" automatics, and are the way of the future.
Either a DCT or a conventional AT shifts faster than I can, but there isn't any situation in my driving where having power to the tires an extra fraction of a second at a time matters. Kind of makes it a theoretical advantage only, and I'm not the sort of guy who'd ever use that as a "bragging point", which is all that remains. I've driven a couple of DCT cars, and if that ends up being the only alternative to AT's and CVT's I'd really rather the up/down shifting be done more like the + and - positions in current AT shift patterns that have a "manual" gate (more or less like what's on my granddaughter's new-to-her Veloster) than on the paddles.

Look at any stats on manual transmission sales, they are quite bad and getting worse.
As a general trend, the MT share of sales has been dropping since the 1950's. But that's little more than the display of a popularity poll - what most people other than me either prefer or don't. And I've always been comfortable going my own way, whether it lines up with what other people prefer, goes directly against that, or falls somewhere in between.

There's no denying that manual transmissions are "more engaging" and "involved", which makes driving more fun when you're not driving the limit
I'm going to pause you here, just to note that even on a road course (the only kind of place where I do push the car as close to either its limits or my own) I'm still not looking for fractions of a second from anything other than what I can extract through my own driving and chassis tuning abilities. Maybe if I was running in moderately high-level timed competition I would, but I don't see that ever happening.

On the street, I simply drive to my own pace, which as far as this topic is concerned is slower than many coming off a traffic light. "Losing" to a Camry or even a minivan there doesn't bother me at all. I'd like to see them even try to take Turn 12 at NJMP at just under 100 mph and 1.1+ lateral g's. Or not, as the result would likely red-flag the session.

To make matters worse, the writing is probably on the wall for NA cars, non-hybrids, as well as driving them ourselves...
Those thoughts do cross my mind, and I do wonder if I'll at least be able to avoid hybrids. I'm old enough (69) and keep cars long enough (18 year average time to disposal) to where I probably will be able to avoid autonomous cars. But if I can still buy one or maybe two more conventional MT cars I'll at least be doing my part in helping to extend their availability.

Norm

HCT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Charger Hellcat
The 2018 GT350 is getting a 7 speed dual-clutch??
It's pretty amusing because the rumors originated right here on this site. Basically there was a post here that had some internal Ford documents. Road & Track looked at the documents associated with the post and their editors were convinced they were legit. The post has since been removed; I never personally saw it.

As the article I linked to above states, it's still an unconfirmed rumor and there's a chance that even though it's legit it's not a final decision. At various times I've seen claims that the new Tremec 7-speed dual clutch was developed for a future mid-engine Corvette but I've also seen claims that it'll be used in the Mustang. Both could be true. Or neither, lol.

I'd say it's highly likely but I wouldn't bet money on it.

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
I'm skepticle it will come out in 2018 but maybe a 2019 and it may even go in the gt500 first. FPC....Willing to bet it's a 5.2 CPC if the 350/boss comes in 2018.
Sponsored