HELP! Loud metallic clicking noise, video attached

Trent W

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Check out video
[ame]

My car is developing a clicking noise. I did have my Transmission rebuilt under warranty at 6k miles when it self destructed. Now at 30k I'm not sure where its coming from but the engine runs perfectly clutch engages normally no abnormal drivability problems. but its getting louder by the week. Almost to the point of being embarrassing in public like I have something loose, or a heat shield tapping something. The odd thing is the car is stock other than the catback. nobody has been in there.

Sounds like its coming from the trans
Clutch in no noise or cold. Only when warm in Neutral or in gear between 800-1500rpm i get this intermittent clicking. anything faster the exhaust drowns it out but Most definitely still there at higher RPM. Parking garages sound like my car is going to implode any second.

Update: 6/9/17 Well Just got a call they said its valvetrain noises. "its normal" to be so loud that the car sounds like rattling itself apart from 100 feet away apparently. Yes it is very noticeable at this point now.

The service did a top notch job to there credit. Oil analysis removed belts checked water pump and all accessories. I'm just surprised this is a normal thing. exact quote from service receipt "Found noise from valve train deflection. Normal characteristic of the vehicle."
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Trent W

Trent W

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
It sounds almost like someone is throwing small pebbles at the car. its audible from 20-30 feet away at idle as well. or like a loose rivet vibrating or something kinda hard to explain but you can hear it in the video pretty clearly

D.Brown

Save the Manuels
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
15' GT
From what you're describing, I seem to have the same issue. I had my clutch replaced and it didn't start until then. Nothing has gone wrong yet though, and I definitely put the car through it's paces.

OP
OP
Trent W

Trent W

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
From what you're describing, I seem to have the same issue. I had my clutch replaced and it didn't start until then. Nothing has gone wrong yet though, and I definitely put the car through it's paces.
Hmmm maybe clutch related or a heat shield above tranny. How many miles were on you're car before you replaced the clutch?

estebanvdt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Roush Stage 3 Phase 2
that sounds like the bbq ticking noise, do a quick search on the forum and you'll find many cases like yours...

Sponsored

D.Brown

Save the Manuels
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
15' GT
Hmmm maybe clutch related or a heat shield above tranny. How many miles were on you're car before you replaced the clutch?
I'll have to look at the receipt that's in my glove box. I'll get back to you on that. I'll also try to get a video recording today.

AppoTheApple

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tien
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Premium GT DIB
Mine just started doing that as I was pulling into work. 12k miles and nothing has changed on the car for a few months. I have an auto. Did anyone ever come up with a fix?

OP
OP
Trent W

Trent W

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Mine just started doing that as I was pulling into work. 12k miles and nothing has changed on the car for a few months. I have an auto. Did anyone ever come up with a fix?
Na... still researching it. Sounds like one of those "thats normal" type of thing. Im going to bring it in to the dealer anyways. I noticed it after my 30k oil change. Going to try to put some lucus oil stabilizer in to see if it does anything.

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
Mine does this and I assumed it was an exhaust leak. Damn I may take it to the dealer then.

SeTex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Mine sounds like that also. Has cat back & snugged it all up & didnt help. 18000 miles

Last edited:

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Check exhaust where any of the pipes are joined, make sure they are connected and tight. Slightest gap between pipes will create obnoxious noises.

Check the e-brake cable where it mounts to the assembly. This is located under vehicle, on driver side of the trans tunnel, almost directly below the center console compartment. When the e-brake cable gets loose, the slack in the cable allows the cable to bounce around hitting or tapping on the trans tunnel assembly. It's not constant, depends on RPMs, if cable is heated after a drive or how the driver leaves from a stop or cruising speed.

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
I can only reproduce this on a cold car. I imagine once pipes are heated up, it stops creaking. It's the same sound as contracting metal when you turn the car off. Plus I just realized I only got this after I got my xpipe put on...

RaceRed17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium PP Race Red
Mine made a similar noise right after an oil change when I first switched to full synthetic. Are you sure that the noise is not coming from the back of the engine bay? I thought mine was my Corsa exhaust at first but it was not.

By coincidence I had to take the car back for a recurring check engine light that was supposed to be fixed during the tick inducing oil change, and asked them to fix the tick.

Once the check engine issue was finally resolved, my ticking was gone. Dealership claimed it was related to some intake manifold issue I had, but I never heard any sort of tick until that oil change.

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
My intake manifold was replaced under warranty for runner control valves sticking. If it was the engine, I'd imagine it'd make the noise all the time. I think it's a weird heatshield tick.

OP
OP
Trent W

Trent W

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Well Just got a call they said its valvetrain noises. "its normal" to be so loud that the car sounds like rattling itself apart from 100 feet away apparently.

The service did a top notch job to there credit. Oil analysis removed belts checked water pump and all accessories. I'm just surprised this is a normal thing. exact quote from service receipt "Found noise from valve train deflection. Normal characteristic of the vehicle."
Sponsored