Thank To All Who Have Provided Info On Oil Pump Gears

fortrl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Just wanted to say a quick Thank You to everyone who has posted information on changing the oil pump gears and crankshaft timing sprocket. I finished doing mine last night and almost all the install information came from this site. Also want to Thank the person who posted how to get the A/C belt back on. The plastic tie strap trick worked perfectly and so easy to do. I have never done anything like this before. My car is 2 months old and I now have 1700 miles on it. Gotta say, it looks intimidating when reading all the post but once you get in there and get started it really is not bad at all, just time consuming. And as far as timing the car after removing the timing chains, it could not be any easier. Just remember, the 2015-2016 uses 12 o'clock and 5 o'clock to time it. Now I'll see how bad the Whipple install is as soon as it comes in. Again Thanks to All of You!!!!!
Sponsored

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
If you don't mind. Could you post links to the threads/posts where you got the information?

OP
OP

fortrl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I will try to do that. When I found something I thought I could use I would print it out and put it in a binder. All of my information is at the house right now. If you have a question feel free to PM me.

StoplightWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 STi, 2016 Camaro SS, 2016 Infiniti QX50
Wow, I thought that was a project that would be way above my capabilities. I have my opg, lower crank gear, harmonic damper and head cooling mod from MMR sitting in a box outside. Waiting til I have a break so I can take my car to a shop for install...do you really think someone with intermediate mechanical skill can tackle the install, or am I better off spending the $1000 to let a pro do it?

OP
OP

fortrl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Absolutely. It looks intimidating at first. But once the radiator is out and air intake is off everything is wide open to get to. No problem at all getting an impact gun on the balancer bolt with plenty of room to spare. The timing is very simple to put the chains on correctly also. Just remember which compression stroke you are on. The hardest part of the install, in my opinion, is getting the inside bolt out of the oil pump pickup tube. Actually getting it out was not bad, but getting it back in was very tedious because of such a limited amount of room to work with. I loosened the oil pan bolts all the way around and drop the front of it about an inch or so and used a flat blade screw driver to hold the pick up tube bolt up and a open end wrench to get it started. Once its started your good. You can then use a ratchet wrench. I will try to post links to some of the post I used today. Can't promise, just depends on how the day goes. One more note, take the spark plugs out and your can easily turn the crank shaft with the old crank bolt. Ford does not recommend reusing the bolt. I replaced mine with an ARP bolt so it didn't matter. Also, to anyone wondering what size crankshaft socket to use to turn the crankshaft with the keyway slot, its the exact same as a 1969-1985+ small block Chevy. Its about $16.00 from Summit. The one MMR sells is like $44.00 plus shipping. Its the exact same size.

Sponsored

OP
OP

fortrl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Here are a couple of links I used. Some are not from this forum but may have been referenced in this forum. I can't take any credit for any of the information posted but I sure appreciate all who did. Some of this information may be a variation of the exact same information. Use what you need.

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54013&highlight=Belt

Ford Service Manual:
http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=76747&d=1463164343

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39249

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30869

https://lmr.com/products/mustang-50-coyote-motor-torque-specs

http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-...es-heel-with-a-billet-oil-pump-gears-install/

This is a really good write up and everything is pretty much correct except getting the timing correct. This for a 2014 Mustang. On the S550, use the 12 o'clock and 5 o'clock directions in one of the other links I listed.

http://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...eeda-underdrive-pulley-install-with-pics.html

If I find any more links I will post them.

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Appreciate your time sharing. Sounds like this is something I'm not too worried about doing myself after reading your posts. Other people made it sound intimidating. I mean, I not a mechanic, but I am mechanically inclined and can do most of my work. I've never done internal stuff on an engine but with the right information it sounds like it could be done.

DrDing.Muscle

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium GT PP Competition Orange
Just wanted to say a quick Thank You to everyone who has posted information on changing the oil pump gears and crankshaft timing sprocket. I finished doing mine last night and almost all the install information came from this site. Also want to Thank the person who posted how to get the A/C belt back on. The plastic tie strap trick worked perfectly and so easy to do. I have never done anything like this before. My car is 2 months old and I now have 1700 miles on it. Gotta say, it looks intimidating when reading all the post but once you get in there and get started it really is not bad at all, just time consuming. And as far as timing the car after removing the timing chains, it could not be any easier. Just remember, the 2015-2016 uses 12 o'clock and 5 o'clock to time it. Now I'll see how bad the Whipple install is as soon as it comes in. Again Thanks to All of You!!!!!
The Whipple install is even easier man. I just finished up my OPG/CG and Whipple a couple weeks ago. Whipple did it right with their kit as everything you need is included. The only special tools I would get if you don't have is like 6" metric ball ended allen sockets. You will need them as all the fasteners are metric allens and the ball ended will let you come in at an angle on some of them.

For anybody thinking about doing this I have the helms manual for the 2015 so I can snap some pics of the pages you want or need for the installation. The A/C belt page and the front cover pages are good ones as well as the timing procedure.

OP
OP

fortrl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I have not heard from Lethal Performance yet. I ordered the Whipple Monday was a week ago. Both Whipple and Lethal said 2 to 3 weeks. Can't wait! I am also going to do the install on it. I like doing things myself. I hate paying for labor. Not knocking anyone who does pay to have everything done by any means, but I just feel more comfortable if I am able to do it.

DrDing.Muscle

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium GT PP Competition Orange
I have not heard from Lethal Performance yet. I ordered the Whipple Monday was a week ago. Both Whipple and Lethal said 2 to 3 weeks. Can't wait! I am also going to do the install on it. I like doing things myself. I hate paying for labor. Not knocking anyone who does pay to have everything done by any means, but I just feel more comfortable if I am able to do it.
I have learned over the years no body will care more about your car than you so this carries over to installations and other things. You will take the extra time to make sure something is right even if it takes you longer where to a shop time is money so they often will rush things in and out.

I ordered my whipple back in May and it took almost a month before it arrived on my doorstep but they said they were behind schedule at that point because of a big influx of orders.

Sponsored

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
I am the same but sometimes it depends on cost VS time. Sometimes paying a job that cost 2-$300 is worth it so I could use that time doing something else. But high cost labor jobs are the ones I really prefer to do myself. Plus there is so much satisfaction to be had knowing you did the work.

OP
OP

fortrl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I have learned over the years no body will care more about your car than you so this carries over to installations and other things. You will take the extra time to make sure something is right even if it takes you longer where to a shop time is money so they often will rush things in and out.

I ordered my whipple back in May and it took almost a month before it arrived on my doorstep but they said they were behind schedule at that point because of a big influx of orders.
Absolutely Agree.

FIVE_LITER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT PP Competition Orange
I ordered my Whipple from lethal on 7/8/16 and it shipped yesterday. Supposed to be here on Monday so a touch over three weeks from ordering.

Dragster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Awesome thread OP, and thanks for sharing all the info! I was just looking for videos or write ups on OPG and TS installs, so this helps.

I'm in the same boat as some others in that I've never done either of these before, but I like working on my car and I prefer to not have to pay a shop to do an install on a car they don't particularly care about. The one thing that frightens me about the install is reinstalling and timing everything. I have NO IDEA how to do any of that stuff, and I'm paranoid that I would do it and be greeted with the noise of an engine destroying itself upon starting it. Any links to helpful write ups or videos on the matter (apologies if you linked to it above, I haven't checked out all the links yet)?

Thanks again!
Sponsored