Sponsored

BBQ Tick After Oil Change...

yellowragtop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 mustang conv
This link is saying you have "engine tick" after oil change, because "new" engine oil is not that thick. It is likely related to the hydraulic lifters. (I would not leave your car at the dealer to fix this. You could consider getting a new oil change using normal oil, not synthetic.)

It says after your oil has circulated enough times, it will become "thicker" and the tick sounds will go away. Did you say you switched from normal oil to synthetic? I have never used synthetic oil during my lifetime. I bet if you run normal dinosaur motor oil, this tick will completely disappear. What kind of oil is in V8 mustangs from the factory? Does it come straight from the factory with synthetic? If it comes from the factory with normal oil, then to me, you should run normal oil.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/car...-sound-coming-from-your-cars-engine-16705321/
Sponsored

OP
OP
astolt12

astolt12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Black GT PP
This link is saying you have "engine tick" after oil change, because "new" engine oil is not that thick. It is likely related to the hydraulic lifters. (I would not leave your car at the dealer to fix this. You could consider getting a new oil change using normal oil, not synthetic.)

It says after your oil has circulated enough times, it will become "thicker" and the tick sounds will go away. Did you say you switched from normal oil to synthetic? I have never used synthetic oil during my lifetime. I bet if you run normal dinosaur motor oil, this tick will completely disappear. What kind of oil is in V8 mustangs from the factory? Does it come straight from the factory with synthetic? If it comes from the factory with normal oil, then to me, you should run normal oil.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/car...-sound-coming-from-your-cars-engine-16705321/
Correct, however I did this in my 2011 GT with no issues. It ran the same 5w20 motorcraft oil as the 2015 does and even had the same dealership do it for me.

From the factory I believe it is conventional, or atleast a blend. Never fully understood "break-in oil." I did request a synthetic oil change as that is what I run in all my vehicles with no problem post break in.

If the car requires a heavier synthetic aside from 5w20 then ford needs to call that out. I'm sure other users have taken the same path as I me and have had no problems. To me that sounds like a mechanical defect.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
First thing I thought of when I watched that video above is 'exhaust leak'.

That doesn't sound like an internal engine noise at all. I've rebuilt many an engine, and rod knock, main bearing knock, valvetrain clatter, and piston slap (the most common culprits) are very distinct.

Still, I'd be annoyed as hell.....

OP
OP
astolt12

astolt12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Black GT PP
First thing I thought of when I watched that video above is 'exhaust leak'.

That doesn't sound like an internal engine noise at all. I've rebuilt many an engine, and rod knock, main bearing knock, valvetrain clatter, and piston slap (the most common culprits) are very distinct.

Still, I'd be annoyed as hell.....
Just got back from the dealer and the first thing they said was its my x pipe. I had a ford racing x pipe installed a month ago. They wanted to charge me for taking it off so I elected to drop it tonight and see if the problem still exist.

If it does then back to the dealer tomorrow. Yay. All the while while trying to avoid not having to give up my car as she is my daily and fords new policy doesn't dish out rentals anymore to help their paying customers. :frusty:

OP
OP
astolt12

astolt12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Black GT PP
After taking off the x pipe and droppings the entire exhaust from the cats back the problem still exist.

Ive called ford and set up a case to be handled by their regional service team. I assume it's the same type of thing the ford reps would do on here for you.

Here's the link to the video. It seems to be worse/more consistent with only another 100ish miles on the dash since the oil change. Engaging the AC really brings the issue up still.

Back to the dealer tomorrow to show them that it wasn't the x pipe after being dismissed as that being the reason. I forsee a long uphill battle with this one.

Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
From the factory I believe it is conventional, or atleast a blend. Never fully understood "break-in oil." I did request a synthetic oil change as that is what I run in all my vehicles with no problem post break in.
I've read here that people claim the factory oil is the same Motorcraft synthetic blend 5W-20 that you buy off the self.

So did you have the dealer use the full synthetic 5W-20 Motorcraft oil? If so, that should be OK and it's even called out in the owner's manual as an optional oil.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What boggles me is i cant get it replicate under forward driving. When in neutral its hit or miss, but when in reverse and feathering the clutch up the hill into the driveway at about 1200 RPM its like a firecracker.
It almost sounds like a rod bearing, because it gets louder under a slight engine load - ie, while feathering the clutch, or turning on the A/C which loads the engine. Or as you mentioned in the other thread, it could be a scored cylinder or two like Ruby305GT unfortunately found out he had.

It would be pretty insane if these engines throw a rod bearing or scored cylinders from just changing the oil. :confused:

Last edited:
OP
OP
astolt12

astolt12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Black GT PP
This was a link in the other ticking thread. Pretty bizarre issue.

http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/showpost.php?p=4841880&postcount=5
Outstanding find GT Pony, you've been a great help with this!

I'm curious and skeptical of that additive. it seems for those who added some element of zinc/metal back onto their oil saw good results but the mechanical aspect/issue is still there in my opinion. That's like pouring liquid head gasket into your oil to stop a leaky head gasket. It's gonna break eventually due to a mechanical failure.

I'm going to head back to the dealer today and drop her off the night most likely. Ford CSM is to call me sometime today as well. Hopefully they can offer up a rental and fix this issue - but I see it ending much like Ruby's. Atleast I have a trail to follow! :cheers:

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Definitely not a rod knock....not the right tone, and rod knocks are consistent with engine rotation and will increase with RPM.

Flaky lash adjuster, maybe. This reminds me of my '79 which had the 2.3 turbo, which ate a cam for some reason (bad adjuster?) - now that I think of it, that thing made sort of a similar sound yet less sharp, but it was pretty consistent with engine RPM too.

Not sure why changing oil would cause one to go bad though. Odd.....

Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outstanding find GT Pony, you've been a great help with this!

I'm curious and skeptical of that additive. it seems for those who added some element of zinc/metal back onto their oil saw good results but the mechanical aspect/issue is still there in my opinion. That's like pouring liquid head gasket into your oil to stop a leaky head gasket. It's gonna break eventually due to a mechanical failure.

I'm going to head back to the dealer today and drop her off the night most likely. Ford CSM is to call me sometime today as well. Hopefully they can offer up a rental and fix this issue - but I see it ending much like Ruby's. Atleast I have a trail to follow! :cheers:
When you go to the dealer, might ask the Service Manager if there is a TSB for the older Coyote engines like what was discussed in that link I posted above, and the 'secret additive'.

OP
OP
astolt12

astolt12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Black GT PP
When you go to the dealer, might ask the Service Manager if there is a TSB for the older Coyote engines like what was discussed in that link I posted above, and the 'secret additive'.
I'll have to give them a call today. Dropped it off last night and had a much better initial experience at Wade ford outside of Atlanta, GA.

My woe is hoping they will have the ability to reproduce the sound as it was quieter yesterday at drop off but the tech still heard it on his way out for the day. I also only drove it about 7 miles from work to the dealer instead of the normal 20-25 home. If they need to drive it in hopingn they don't beat her up

We'll see what they do today. In turn I have a Nissan Sentra with sport mode, doesn't seem to feel the same as the 5.0s sport mode - what's up with that!? Lol

OP
OP
astolt12

astolt12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Black GT PP
Any updates from the dealer?
They replaced the PCV valve, no change. Was told to drive it for a few days. Don't know why they did that, caught half a sentence that an s197 mustang had a tick and they did that repair to fix their problem.

I can still here the tick it's not as bad as my first video I put up but it hasn't changed since I dropped it off and certainly hasn't changed a bit due to PCV change.

We'll see I guess. I'll be back here on Friday most likely.

EDIT - as I started it up to to pull out she started slapping and smacking around real bad. Could hear it over the shops noise and everything so they will be looking at it again tomorrow, most likely calling the ford hotline. I also asked them to put a bore scope down the cylinders if possible/allowable
Sponsored

Last edited: