Vert Rear Right Window Doesn't Go All The Way Up

MustangS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
'15 Vert GT
Anyone else with a convertible have a rear right window that has stopped rolling all the way up?

I noticed this on a vert rental and now on my own car as well.

I took it to my dealer for repair and they were not able to fix it. So the rear right window never fully goes up, leaving an open gap between it and the front right passenger window.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
MustangS550

MustangS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
'15 Vert GT
mine is still working fine and I have over 120 miles on it!

I hope I don't see this on mine, best of luck with your issue!
I hope yours will be okay. I started to notice it at around 18,000 miles.

Last edited:

melwff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 M2486
the owners manual refers to a "Bounce Back" feature to prevent injury. This feature can be effected by things like a disconnected battery. Look in your manual for the section covering this feature and especially the instructions for overriding it.

Sponsored

OP
OP
MustangS550

MustangS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
'15 Vert GT
My dealer fixed this under warranty.

New problem now, though. I discovered a leak in the roof and the dealer couldn't replicate it when I took it in for repair.

antijam

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT cabriolet
I think I have this same rear window problem on my 2016 'vert. It's done just over 15000 miles. It's the RH rear window (in this case, the driver's side) and the rather poor picture below shows the problem...

36566788542_660b57d11e_b.jpg

As well as rising, the closing motion involves rotation in a fore and aft plane and this doesn't complete properly - leaving a large gap with the front window at the top (arrowed in red) compared with the much smaller gap at the bottom (arrowed in yellow).

The gap can be reduced by manually pulling the top of the rear glass forward (after which it can't be pushed back again), but the window still ends up slightly misaligned. Is this the same problem as yours MustangS550?

Car goes into dealer next week - hopefully they can sort it!

DropTopBob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2017 EB Conv, Perf Pak, Borla Sport Axleback
This is a known and common problem with us convertible owners. The problem is that the gasket in the convertible top is very tight and the electric lift motor has a problem forcing a complete closure with the top up. Raise your rear window with the top down and this does not happen. The simple solution is to get a can or WD-40 Silicone Spray (not the original WD-40) and liberally spray the inside of the gasket. Your problem will be solved but you'll probably need to reapply the silicone every month or so.

mpwillis

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Monty
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang Vert, '92 911 Cabrio
This is a known and common problem with us convertible owners. The problem is that the gasket in the convertible top is very tight and the electric lift motor has a problem forcing a complete closure with the top up. Raise your rear window with the top down and this does not happen. The simple solution is to get a can or WD-40 Silicone Spray (not the original WD-40) and liberally spray the inside of the gasket. Your problem will be solved but you'll probably need to reapply the silicone every month or so.
I have a 2015 Vert with just under 50K. This just happened to me as well. Used the above solution and now working fine.

antijam

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT cabriolet
Thanks for the feedback guys - it's obviously a common problem. I had a can of WD-40 silicone lubricant in the garage...

36586177372_e2f8166936_b.jpg

...rather than the PTFE lube, but I tried this and it does seem to have solved the problem :thumbsup:. The window alignment is still not perfect but is does now seal and since the window can be pulled no further manually, I think any residual misalignment is due to manufacturing set-up rather than friction.

Sponsored

guyinohio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 Convertable
I just purchased a 2017 yesterday, in fact I knocked 700 off the price because we saw this and assumed there was a broken clip or something behind the panel. its March so I'll assume the windows and top have been up for several months. The rear passenger window has this problem. I lubed the seal with petroleum jelly and it improved some but still did not overlap with the front window. I rolled it down about an inch and it rotated the way I needed it to, and then when up it was slightly better. Down about 1/2 inch and back up and it was almost there, one more time and it was completely closed. I'll keep working on it.

SteveG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang V6 Convertible
Anyone else with a convertible have a rear right window that has stopped rolling all the way up?

I noticed this on a vert rental and now on my own car as well.

I took it to my dealer for repair and they were not able to fix it. So the rear right window never fully goes up, leaving an open gap between it and the front right passenger window.
My right rear window is doing this also, however now neither rear window works at all. They are stuck in the open position.
Anyone else?

melwff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 M2486
Fuse #23, passenger compartment box, read description in your owner's manual.
Sponsored