slowhand99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Vert Race Red ord 26/03/15 del 24/03/16
Trying to get my head round this...
The front brakes are bigger so is it not the front wheel that fits on the rear?
Pay attention :D.

For a front puncture, put rear wheel on front and space saver on rear.

For rear puncture, just use space saver.

Probably.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Black Thunder

Black Thunder

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Yes that's what I mean just emailed my dealer about how one uses' the wheel as they are wanting to sell me one will post reply but ordering one later

SteveS

...Bon Scott Land...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic
Pay attention :D.

For a front puncture, put rear wheel on front and space saver on rear.

For rear puncture, just use space saver.

Probably.
Of course...it's the spacesaver wheel that doesn't fit over the GT brakes, not the GT wheels themselves. Ignore me :doh:

melwff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 M2486
if it helps you the compact spare used in the states is a 155/60R18 which is 25.32" in diameter. Compare that diameter to whatever is on your car currently. I believe the concern is that if there is too much of a difference in diameter and the car is driven for a long distance with the spare on the rear position it will cause damage to the limited slip differential.

PeterE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2017 S550 GT; 2022 Z4 M40i; 1978 Stag
I investigated purchasing the Ford spare when I ordered my GT550 in August and put it on the back burner until nearer delivery which is now fast approaching (car currently on the Tijuca in the English Channel :)) [MENTION=15533]slowhand99[/MENTION] your swap from front to back so the spare is only ever on a rear axle solution seems logical.
However, I remain concerned about a significant difference in diameter/rolling radius between the standard 275/40R19s on the rear axle and the 155/60R18 temp spare; mechanical limited slip diffs (I have one on my E Type) do not respond well to extended periods with different wheel rotation speeds and I suspect that any resultant damage caused by an unsupported configuration on the GT550 would not be honoured by Ford under warranty.
This helpful site: http://www.willtheyfit.com shows that the average 275/40R19 tyre (there will be minor variations between manufacturer) has a diameter/circumference of 703/2,207mm and the 155/60R18 temp spare 643/2,020mm, a 9% difference.
My idea is therefore to buy the Ford spare wheel and jack kit only and fit my own tyre with a larger profile such as a 155/80R18 with a diameter/circumference of 705/2,215mm which is less than 0.5% bigger; Bridgestone seem to make a suitable range of temp spare tyres although the 80% aspect ratio one is in short supply.
I would rather be a Soppy Tart with a spare than have to deal with a flat without one on Surrey's appalling road surfaces and the forthcoming 'benefit' of no street lighting either :mad:
Grateful for any feedback on this idea and whether-or-not the larger tyred temp spare at 2,215mm diameter will still fit in the boot well.

Sponsored

melwff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 M2486
I measured the boot/trunk well in my 17 GT, assume there is no difference, and it is a hair wider than 27"

PeterE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
I measured the boot/trunk well in my 17 GT, assume there is no difference, and it is a hair wider than 27"
EB and GT are the same size, that's really helpful, thank you. The 155/80R18 tyre I was thinking about at 705mm equals 27.75" so a close-run thing, may have to think again but that is the measurement I needed!

OP
OP
Black Thunder

Black Thunder

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Thank You ............I Bought this Yesterday OEM NEW 15-17 Ford Mustang 18" Spare Wheel Tire Including Jack Kit FR3Z1K007C
Item price $242.90+shipping+Tax'x still a whole lot cheaper than my Dealers Price

Shipping service International Priority Shipping

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261844179768

Maoilearca

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2016 GT Auto Coupe (Guard). FP PP2
Thank You ............I Bought this Yesterday OEM NEW 15-17 Ford Mustang 18" Spare Wheel Tire Including Jack Kit FR3Z1K007C
Item price $242.90+shipping+Tax'x still a whole lot cheaper than my Dealers Price

Shipping service International Priority Shipping

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261844179768
Ebay for this item says tax and shipping brings this up to $381.50 (or £305)

OP
OP
Black Thunder

Black Thunder

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Ebay for this item says tax and shipping brings this up to $381.50 (or £305)
Yes my dealer Quoted over £500
Not a cheap item but nothing is these days more so US products and the £ has dived

Sponsored
OP
OP
Black Thunder

Black Thunder

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Thanks for the Link, I don't like the kits in these and other cars perhaps I am old school tour Europe a lot and to be honest a spare to get you to somewhere after your a tyre fails for me is a tyre . A friend had a car with these kits tried it and guess what he the thing didn't work so called the AA and had to join them not all bad but on a wet dark night somewhere messing with a kit to me a wheel is better just my opinion. I do feel manufactures are jus saving £'s as a profit for the company and if you want one Buy it ! Then it's more profit we cannot win.

slowhand99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Vert Race Red ord 26/03/15 del 24/03/16
EB and GT are the same size, that's really helpful, thank you. The 155/80R18 tyre I was thinking about at 705mm equals 27.75" so a close-run thing, may have to think again but that is the measurement I needed!
The wheel well tapers so although it might sit a little high, you should be OK. I like your thinking on matching the rolling circumference of the tyres. I haven't decided whether to upgrade my wheels so that would influence the size I would have to change for. The Car & Driver article shows that it's important to use a space saver tyre as the compound compensates for the lack of size, which I didn't know before.

I'm not a believer in the gunk repair kits as, apart from the fact that they make subsequent repair difficult and probably knacker the pressure sensor, the punctures we pick up these days wouldn't be dealt with anyway. My last puncture a couple of weeks ago was a flint, probably dislodged from a pothole but I can't prove it, that lacerated a rear tread on my Mondeo. No gunk or repair plug was going to fill that. Forced me to fit a set of PS4S's ;).

I too live in the land of potholes and no street lights that is Surrey so hopefully see you around in your new steed. I got mine the day before Easter last year. Exciting times.

PeterE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
The wheel well tapers so although it might sit a little high, you should be OK. I like your thinking on matching the rolling circumference of the tyres. I haven't decided whether to upgrade my wheels so that would influence the size I would have to change for. The Car & Driver article shows that it's important to use a space saver tyre as the compound compensates for the lack of size, which I didn't know before.

I'm not a believer in the gunk repair kits as, apart from the fact that they make subsequent repair difficult and probably knacker the pressure sensor, the punctures we pick up these days wouldn't be dealt with anyway. My last puncture a couple of weeks ago was a flint, probably dislodged from a pothole but I can't prove it, that lacerated a rear tread on my Mondeo. No gunk or repair plug was going to fill that. Forced me to fit a set of PS4S's ;).

I too live in the land of potholes and no street lights that is Surrey so hopefully see you around in your new steed. I got mine the day before Easter last year. Exciting times.
OK, thanks, I'll definitely order a wheel and jacking kit but without the tyre which I'll get separately. This supplier lists all the 18" variations, all appear to be genuine Bridgestone or Continental temp spares: https://www.camskill.co.uk/m129b0s0p0/Temporary_Spare_Tyres_-_Space_Saver_Tyres_-_18_inch but irritatingly the 155/80R18 is out of stock ATM.

CapitanPug

Big Bear
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT, Audi A5, Mitsibushi L200
Think I'm gonna buy a space saver too.
I well remember have a flat travelling from Brussels to Paris on New Years Eve 2014 in my A5, put the Space Saver on & limped along to Paris.
I could not find a replacement tyre anywhere between Brussels-Paris, except for being offered a part-worn Pirelli for 130 Euros (that was the wrong size)!
Phoned & ordered a replacement tyre @ Kwik-Fit Dover on the 2nd Jan & limped back to Calais! :crazy:
Don't think the gunk wud've helped on that occassion!
Sponsored