Sponsored

Dyno results are in

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
cough..... looks for local track.... :amen:

By the way did we mention the Steeda driving day?

A perfect opportunity to trade smack talk and put down some times against each other in a friendly and risk free environment (as much as fast car driving can be risk free)

Book your slot here https://www.steeda.co.uk/steeda-driving-experience-speed-matters-c2x22382833 and then start working on your : Driving / excuses / challenges

:thumbsup::cheers:

£89 bargain, but from May 21st until around June 15th I am travelling in Asia. :)
Sponsored

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
£89 bargain, but from May 21st until around June 15th I am travelling in Asia. :)
Don't worry i'll take it down there for you, I can make OMM move like it was Race Red ;)! You tyres will be sh4gged when I'm done though :lol:

Steeda UK

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.steeda.co.uk
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
Driving / excuses / challenges

I see [MENTION=13598]Gibbo205[/MENTION] has gone in hard and fast for option 2, but its a doozy!

We expect to see pics on the day from an exotic locale! :thumbsup::lol:

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Driving / excuses / challenges

I see @Gibbo205 has gone in hard and fast for option 2, but its a doozy!

We expect to see pics on the day from an exotic locale! :thumbsup::lol:
If you read the thread, Gibbo doesn't do the 'Fast' element of that ;)! :lol:

Sponsored

jasonlycett

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jaguar f typ V8S, Ford GT40 (Superformance)
wow, interesting 1/4 mile times! does that demonstrate that the best place for high peak horsepower is the pub ! ?

sounds like a smooth power delivery with low down torque is the key to real acceleration!

OP
OP
Enoch

Enoch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
Guard 5.0 (Auto) Fastback, Saddle Leather
wow, interesting 1/4 mile times! does that demonstrate that the best place for high peak horsepower is the pub ! ?

sounds like a smooth power delivery with low down torque is the key to real acceleration!
My best time of the day.....car was completely stock apart from a catback:)

So close to the 12's:brokenheart:

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Mustang horses always seem to do less well than other car brand horses. ;)

Though Enoch's being an AUTO means it launches easier and changes gear smoother/faster with no drivetrain shock, yes a manual can be just as quick but that is all down to the driver and the quarter mile is nowhere near as easy as people think it is.

When I showed the Americans my time, showing them 13.3-14s quarters with :( :shrug: :rant: in my eyes I was told forget the ET because it is down to the driver and look at the terminal because it gives a good representation of what the car could do and is also a true representation of on the roll performance.

For instance Enoch even with an auto did a 60ft in 2.1s and mine were around 2.4-2.5s with a big delay from 1st to 2nd gear change due to wheel hop so having to come out of power and go back into power, an issue you don't get on the road but on a drag strip you do as the tyres grip so hard but then can HOP violently which can break the car, whereas on the road you just get wheel spin which causes no damage and you can just power through. Too much grip on the drag strip in a road car can be a bad thing and for me it was horrific. :(

In short Enoch achieved 107mph on a stock car, only real tweak was lighter wheels and wider tyres. In theory based on his 107mph he has a 12s car. But getting that 12s out of his car will be hard work, but possible.

I am upto 112mph in the quarter mile, that is also mid 12's, but again to get that you need a perfect launch, perfect super fast but smooth gear changes and no wheel hop or spin on the run, achieving this is not as easy as it sounds and it takes lots of practice.

That is why a quick look at the quarter mile times in the USA section owners are achieving 12s from bone stock cars, but they are veteran drag racers and of course some of cheating and just fitting slicks, there are guys in the USA section do 11s on cars with just a remap and street tyres. ;)

The reason terminal speed reflects road performance better is this:

Subaru Impreza STi 13.1s @ 102mph (My friends STI)
My Mustang 13.3s @ 110mph (before my Lund tune at Pod)

In the quarter mile he beat me, so is his car faster? NO!

On the drive home, no mention of speeds but we rolled from 50mph and in short my car the Mustang was just pulling away in every gear to the point where speeds got very fast he was a dot in the mirror.

This is why terminal speeds reflect road performance better as they reflect what we all do every day which is on the roll performance, accelerating out of corner, flooring your car down a slip road, booting it on the motorway etc, the car with higher terminal will accelerate faster than the car with lower terminal. :)

The only time the faster quarter mile car might win is from a dead stop, traffic lights, but how often do you actually do a 0-60 or hard launch on the road? Maybe some do, but generally I never do as most traffic lights are on 30mph or city roads.

My best time at Pod was 13.2s with 110mph, my slowest time was around 14s with 109mph. As you can see terminal speed only fluctuates by around 1-2mph per run, because if your run is longer it is because you could not sustain full throttle making your run take longer but you were accelerating longer even if not at 100% throttle for some of it, whereas on the shorter run you achieved full throttle longer or permanently shortening the run but still achieving similar terminal speed even though quarter mile time could vary by as much as a second or more.

Drag racing is about having fun, if you want pub talk use manufacturer claims unless of course you beat them, haha. Or if a AWD car slam dunks you with a 12.9s time at 100mph but you did 13.9s at 115mph, then just tell them to try keeping up with you on the road from a roll. ;)

Hope helps you understand it a bit better and realise that launching a car at the drag strip is hard work, I was shit at it and Enoch nearly died. :lol:

OP
OP
Enoch

Enoch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
Guard 5.0 (Auto) Fastback, Saddle Leather
^^^^Good analysis matey:thumbsup:

And the stuff about roll on and real world performance on U.K.roads is extremely valid.....:)

I'm actually quite shocked at how much quicker my car is now that I've got "only" another 40 Bhp or so..:)

On paper, it doesn't seem much, and many would be disappointed with the numbers:(... but that doesn't translate to on road real life performance...

I find that now, I'm having to be a lot more aware of how hard I press that pedal. :eyebulge:

Especially between say 50 mph and up.. Booting it at 50 before the mods would result in what I'd consider brisk acceleration up to 100+ or so....
Doing the same thing now results in real hard pull and before you know it there's 120 on the clock:)

Gibbo can confirm that during our data log session in Germany:ninja: that a hard run down the sliproad and onto the autobahn resulted in a top speed of 137mph, and it was there in pretty short order:cheers:

Still thinking about that Harrop though:amen::gossip:

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
^^^^Good analysis matey:thumbsup:

And the stuff about roll on and real world performance on U.K.roads is extremely valid.....:)

I'm actually quite shocked at how much quicker my car is now that I've got "only" another 40 Bhp or so..:)

On paper, it doesn't seem much, and many would be disappointed with the numbers:(... but that doesn't translate to on road real life performance...

I find that now, I'm having to be a lot more aware of how hard I press that pedal. :eyebulge:

Especially between say 50 mph and up.. Booting it at 50 before the mods would result in what I'd consider brisk acceleration up to 100+ or so....
Doing the same thing now results in real hard pull and before you know it there's 120 on the clock:)

Gibbo can confirm that during our data log session in Germany:ninja: that a hard run down the sliproad and onto the autobahn resulted in a top speed of 137mph, and it was there in pretty short order:cheers:

Still thinking about that Harrop though:amen::gossip:

When I raved about the remap I think some people did not believe it, but the reality is a remap does far more for these car than just headline figures of 20-40HP and 40lb/ft. What you notice more is throttle response and even more so lack of clutch protection so the car never limits power like the stock car will and of course other tweaks.

My car before any mods like Enock says was brisk but nothing crazy fast for instance a 400HP Focus RS (5 pot) would be dead even and the new Focus RS was practically as quick. Car got to 100 easy, 130 was not so bad but beyond that it got weaker.

Now with tune, CAI, IM etc. those 400HP Focus have no chance the car just drives away from them and acceleration to 130 is all way to easy and the car will pull 160 with no sweat at all, comes very easy.

I've driven Mac's 750HP monster and it does it all even quick in a crazy dramatic fashion that bumping the limiter in 5th is very easy and in very short distance.

Sponsored

Cati

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 get v8 ucl mag grey & e93 m3 cp
read through all the thread, props to Enoch for putting in the hard yards on the headers.

So my key takeaways are

1. Mineral grey is the fastest mustang colour
2. That Enoch is faster than gibbo :hail:
3. That being fastest is not necessarily mean you are faster or some such

or have i missed something:bolt:

V8_MOTOR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY17 S550 Mustang GT (EURO)
This is great! Congrats on the gains. So, whipple or roush?

I will be doing a fair few exterior mods = no performance (due to insurance on a GT as someone who is a couple of years shy of 30) but no performance mods for at least 6 years I think.

This is a keeper for life and I may just keep the engine stock. Aside from installing an oil separator to prolong engine life and a mishimoto transmission oil cooler to prolong the transmission life I can't see myself doing anything to the engine bay.

Obviously I will be installing a roush axleback and a H-pipe to make it sound like a proper muscle car.

But a supercharger with its whine really makes it sound like a proper muscle car lol.

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is great! Congrats on the gains. So, whipple or roush?

I will be doing a fair few exterior mods = no performance (due to insurance on a GT as someone who is a couple of years shy of 30) but no performance mods for at least 6 years I think.

This is a keeper for life and I may just keep the engine stock. Aside from installing an oil separator to prolong engine life and a mishimoto transmission oil cooler to prolong the transmission life I can't see myself doing anything to the engine bay.

Obviously I will be installing a roush axleback and a H-pipe to make it sound like a proper muscle car.

But a supercharger with its whine really makes it sound like a proper muscle car lol.

If you want WHINE, you want WHIPPLE, nuff said!
Sponsored