Dyno results are in

Enoch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
Guard 5.0 (Auto) Fastback, Saddle Leather
Been for my "post" mods dyno run today so thought I'd post up the results....

Before numbers are bog stock apart from Borla touring cat back and Roush CAI with insert in place... 410bhp @ 6700

After numbers are, headers, Borla touring, 200cell cats, Roush CAI insert removed velossa bigmouth and Lund tune... 450bhp @ 6700

Looking closely at the graphs power is pretty much the same up to 3000rpm

Then the mods start to show..:)

At 4000 we had 275bhp now we have 290bhp
At 5000 we had 320bhp now we have 370bhp
At 6000 we had 385bhp now we have 420bhp

So as you can see the midrange is now much stronger, and yes you can certainly feel the extra shove above 3500rpm to 6000rpm

Also at 4500 rpm torque has jumped from 340ft/lbs to 410ft/lbs which is 70ft/lbs. and you can really feel that extra punch:thumbsup:

So was it worth it you may ask?? And it's a good question:D

My gut feeling is that for a total outlay of around £2500 for the headers, CAI and the tune, that yes, it's not bad value for money....:thumbsup:

The numbers don't tell the full story, because on the road, the car feels much more responsive, and sounds better, the difference in performance in the mid range where it's most use especially in an auto is significant, and the extra push in the seat when I floor it can really be felt, in fact I'm actually having to back off a lot sooner than I would have before the mods...

So all in all I'm happy that I went this route, and I'm happy that the car feels a fair bit quicker...

I'm also pleased that if I do go SC in the future, that the headers will be already in place and will be a big benefit.......rubs hands together, my fiendish plan is slowly coming together:paddle::thumbsup::)
Sponsored

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
So that dispells the myth etc. Headers are worth 50Bhp with proper tune. NICE! (oh and nice work)

OP
OP
Enoch

Enoch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
So that dispells the myth etc. Headers are worth 50Bhp with proper tune. NICE! (oh and nice work)
I suppose the question is, how much is the tune going to give (on a UK car) without the headers??:)

Like I said above, I'm not convinced the numbers are telling the full story:).

That 70ft/lbs at 4500 ish can really be felt...

They also struggled to get the car to hold a gear on the dyno.....something to do with the rear wheels turning at 150 mph whilst the front ones are still, plays havoc with the ECU, and would let us put the car into track mode:paddle:

What I'm getting at, is Gibbos car on the same dyno is well over 480bhp, and yet when he came for a run in my car, he said he couldn't really tell much difference between how his car pulled compared to mine:D.... go figure;)

My arse dyno is happy, and that's the main thing:lol::eyebulge::p

twold

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 mustang fastback
Been for my "post" mods dyno run today so thought I'd post up the results....

Before numbers are bog stock apart from Borla touring cat back and Roush CAI with insert in place... 410bhp @ 6700

After numbers are, headers, Borla touring, 200cell cats, Roush CAI insert removed velossa bigmouth and Lund tune... 450bhp @ 6700

Looking closely at the graphs power is pretty much the same up to 3000rpm

Then the mods start to show..:)

At 4000 we had 275bhp now we have 290bhp
At 5000 we had 320bhp now we have 370bhp
At 6000 we had 385bhp now we have 420bhp

So as you can see the midrange is now much stronger, and yes you can certainly feel the extra shove above 3500rpm to 6000rpm

Also at 4500 rpm torque has jumped from 340ft/lbs to 410ft/lbs which is 70ft/lbs. and you can really feel that extra punch:thumbsup:

So was it worth it you may ask?? And it's a good question:D

My gut feeling is that for a total outlay of around £2500 for the headers, CAI and the tune, that yes, it's not bad value for money....:thumbsup:

The numbers don't tell the full story, because on the road, the car feels much more responsive, and sounds better, the difference in performance in the mid range where it's most use especially in an auto is significant, and the extra push in the seat when I floor it can really be felt, in fact I'm actually having to back off a lot sooner than I would have before the mods...

So all in all I'm happy that I went this route, and I'm happy that the car feels a fair bit quicker...

I'm also pleased that if I do go SC in the future, that the headers will be already in place and will be a big benefit.......rubs hands together, my fiendish plan is slowly coming together:paddle::thumbsup::)
What would you estimate that the Headers alone were worth (I'm contemplating them in the future).Manders statement has confused me somewhat:shrug: ,mind you I've had a couple of wines.

OP
OP
Enoch

Enoch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
What would you estimate that the Headers alone were worth (I'm contemplating them in the future).Manders statement has confused me somewhat:shrug: ,mind you I've had a couple of wines.
It's a tricky one, because, I'm not sure you can get away with fitting headers, and not doing a tune:shrug:...

Put it this way, I had to put the stock tune back in today for a visit to the dealers..(it's just in case they update the ECU) and it ran like crap.... dead lumpy and flat..

Put the Lund tune back in for the trip home, and it's a sweet as a nut:thumbsup:

Sponsored

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
I suppose the question is, how much is the tune going to give (on a UK car) without the headers??:)

Like I said above, I'm not convinced the numbers are telling the full story:).

That 70ft/lbs at 4500 ish can really be felt...

They also struggled to get the car to hold a gear on the dyno.....something to do with the rear wheels turning at 150 mph whilst the front ones are still, plays havoc with the ECU, and would let us put the car into track mode:paddle:

What I'm getting at, is Gibbos car on the same dyno is well over 480bhp, and yet when he came for a run in my car, he said he couldn't really tell much difference between how his car pulled compared to mine:D.... go figure;)

My arse dyno is happy, and that's the main thing:lol::eyebulge::p

Was the run done on unleaded?

Really hard to judge a car as a passenger, I've never passengered in my own and I find when I am passenger cars always feel faster as I am not in control. To me yours felt just as quick in mid-range and only at top-end it felt less so as in over 6k. All I will say is when I do 3rd gear overtake from 50mph as I pull back in I need 4th so it gallops from 50-100 silly quick but to me when driving it well it don't feel so quick, but I guess you get used to your car even if it is 500 horses. :D

I need to pop and see them about the M3 anyway as something is loose in the rear, probably subframe bolt and on todays track day it was knocking from time to time. Shall get them overlay mine and your graphs as will be interested but I only ever run Vpower99 in mine which on a tuned car is probably worth an easy 10-15HP over regular super unleaded. :)

Anyway lots of great SC choices now, Harrop, Roush, Whipple and Pro Charger new P1X head unit is available, the latter is the way I'd go as it works with GT 350 IM so I get high rpm and 750HP at 7500rpm.

Still waiting on MY18 though, seen 10-speed in action now on ZL1 road car and holy freaking moly it accelerates like nothing else, first three gears are cracked off in a blink of an eye, hope Ford do as good as job as GM did, but they will probably fuck it. :D

twold

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 mustang fastback
It's a tricky one, because, I'm not sure you can get away with fitting headers, and not doing a tune:shrug:...

Put it this way, I had to put the stock tune back in today for a visit to the dealers..(it's just in case they update the ECU) and it ran like crap.... dead lumpy and flat..

Put the Lund tune back in for the trip home, and it's a sweet as a nut:thumbsup:
Unless I misinterpreted the figures ,you gained a total of 40 bhp at the crank with cai ,tune,headers,catback .Would roughly 20 ish bhp gain with the headers seem reasonable do you think?

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

That was no doubt because you did not put the insert back on CAI?
You can run headers without a tune, but it might throw a code, but nothing an O2 extender won't resolve, no idea if you'd make more power though as our ECU is smart and it will keep fuelling, AFR etc. to a set target which essentially limits you to around 415HP.

OP
OP
Enoch

Enoch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
Unless I misinterpreted the figures ,you gained a total of 40 bhp at the crank with cai ,tune,headers,catback .Would roughly 20 ish bhp gain with the headers seem reasonable do you think?

I would have thought that headers alone would be worth 20ish Bhp...:)

V a power Gibbo.....it's all I've run since the mods, now on about my 6th tank:)

twold

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 mustang fastback
I would have thought that headers alone would be worth 20ish Bhp...:)

V a power Gibbo.....it's all I've run since the mods, now on about my 6th tank:)
I'll be honest if the gain is similar with my setup then for me the £2700 for Kooks ,which is a fair bit more than yours ,is not worth it.Modurstang is using Whipples stock tune with Kooks but they're not too fond of Dyno's so there is no way to compare.

Sponsored

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Was the run done on unleaded?

Really hard to judge a car as a passenger, I've never passengered in my own and I find when I am passenger cars always feel faster as I am not in control. To me yours felt just as quick in mid-range and only at top-end it felt less so as in over 6k. All I will say is when I do 3rd gear overtake from 50mph as I pull back in I need 4th so it gallops from 50-100 silly quick but to me when driving it well it don't feel so quick, but I guess you get used to your car even if it is 500 horses. :D

I need to pop and see them about the M3 anyway as something is loose in the rear, probably subframe bolt and on todays track day it was knocking from time to time. Shall get them overlay mine and your graphs as will be interested but I only ever run Vpower99 in mine which on a tuned car is probably worth an easy 10-15HP over regular super unleaded. :)

Anyway lots of great SC choices now, Harrop, Roush, Whipple and Pro Charger new P1X head unit is available, the latter is the way I'd go as it works with GT 350 IM so I get high rpm and 750HP at 7500rpm.

Still waiting on MY18 though, seen 10-speed in action now on ZL1 road car and holy freaking moly it accelerates like nothing else, first three gears are cracked off in a blink of an eye, hope Ford do as good as job as GM did, but they will probably fuck it. :D

Bullshit you passangered your car with me driving ;)!

You two need to swap cars basically and just see what you both think up a road. ;)!

[MENTION=13920]Enoch[/MENTION] Indeed, the joys of dyno's, I thinkt he Tune smoothed the curve etc out, so that's what's making the car feel better, Headers in theory let more gas out and gets moar powah through and out the car. (Laymans super high level terms)

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

You two need to swap cars basically and just see what you both think up a road. ;)!

[MENTION=13920]Enoch[/MENTION] Indeed, the joys of dyno's, I thinkt he Tune smoothed the curve etc out, so that's what's making the car feel better, Headers in theory let more gas out and gets moar powah through and out the car. (Laymans super high level terms)

True and to be honest it felt way faster than Enoch's and it was stock then I think, which says lot about you as a driver or my lack of faith in you. ;)

OP
OP
Enoch

Enoch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)

I'll just leave my untuned vs Gibbos tune result here:D

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
True and to be honest it felt way faster than Enoch's and it was stock then I think, which says lot about you as a driver or my lack of faith in you. ;)
Lack of faith?! Pssshhh you wanted me to take it on race mode!!! That's total faith ;)! Car wasn't stock, but engine wise it was IIRC, Not sure if you had the DS tune on it, or it was prior to that (think it was prior and u just had suspension goodies, with some appearance mods)

[MENTION=13920]Enoch[/MENTION] lol ;)! The girl in the other video has a faster car tan gibbo too ;)!

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'll just leave my untuned vs Gibbos tune result here:D

Well 112mph says it all and on the day I managed as high as 114mph. Be interesting where its at now with a further 50HP and the weight reduction. :)

I get the launch hooked up I am in the 12's with that kind of terminal. :D
Sponsored