Sponsored

It's getting closer... :)

Dorm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, Nissan 350Z
So my GT fastback in, ermmm, Old Man Magnetic (as the colour seems to be known round these parts!) is on a boat from the US and meant to get to Zebrugge on the 24th March. Boo to the one day delay already!

Anyway, I think this now means that I am officially allowed to start getting excited and getting ready for picking the car up.

So I have the following in mind:
- Pre pick up. A few things here...
1. Number plates. I don't like the boxy standard plate holders, and have seen a couple of options referred to on the forum of Sto n Sho or just sticking the plates on with 3M tape. Are there any other options I should consider??

2. Tax. Planning on keeping the car a few years so even though the first year rises by £900 that I have to pay it makes sense to get the reduced annual rate afterwards.

- Picking the car up. Awesome thread started by Manders Mustang on things to check. I'll be going through all of this - thank you to all who contributed to it!

- After getting the car
1. For running the car in and brakes, any advice from those that have been through it before with the stock pads and discs?
2. Stop grinning and driving long enough to do anything else
3. Think about possible mods. I'd be looking to drive the for a month or 2 to get used to it and work out its foibles, but so far I have as possibilities - new tyres, Steeda IRS pack, vinyl wraps for rear lights to make them red not clear.
I'm sure that's the first few of a loooong list! :)

Can't wait! :cheers:
Sponsored

slowhand99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Vert Race Red ord 26/03/15 del 24/03/16
So my GT fastback in, ermmm, Old Man Magnetic (as the colour seems to be known round these parts!) is on a boat from the US and meant to get to Zebrugge on the 24th March. Boo to the one day delay already!

Anyway, I think this now means that I am officially allowed to start getting excited and getting ready for picking the car up.

1. Number plates. I don't like the boxy standard plate holders, and have seen a couple of options referred to on the forum of Sto n Sho or just sticking the plates on with 3M tape. Are there any other options I should consider??

2. Tax. Planning on keeping the car a few years so even though the first year rises by £900 that I have to pay it makes sense to get the reduced annual rate afterwards.

- Picking the car up. Awesome thread started by Manders Mustang on things to check. I'll be going through all of this - thank you to all who contributed to it!

- After getting the car
1. For running the car in and brakes, any advice from those that have been through it before with the stock pads and discs?
3. Think about possible mods. I'd be looking to drive the for a month or 2 to get used to it and work out its foibles, but so far I have as possibilities - new tyres, Steeda IRS pack, vinyl wraps for rear lights to make them red not clear.

Excellent.

The most important thing is tell the dealer NOT to drill the bumper (front or rear) then you can make your own mind up. I have thin ally plates stuck on with tape.

You probably won't get the car before the 1st April so the tax will be as you say; you won't have the choice.

Manders will pile in shortly with lots of advice; and Gibbo will tell you to run it in by ragging the bollocks off it (personally I'd be a bit gentle for 1000 miles)

Time to get excited; nothing can go wrong now.
transporter overturn.jpg

SteveS

...Bon Scott Land...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic
So my GT fastback in, ermmm, Old Man Magnetic (as the colour seems to be known round these parts!)...
Only by those realising they made the wrong choice ;)
The best bit of advice I can pass on is to be careful the first time you give it some. Magnetic is very fast...:ninja:

I have sto n sho with a US-sized plate which is the look I prefer however plates stuck to the bumper look good too and the ally ones bend more easily.
I also intended on running the car for a while pre-mod but the catback was on within the first three weeks and the springs and spacers not much further down the line. Still happily spending a year later...

Congrats on the car. You're going to love it.

OP
OP

Dorm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ha! I was talking about the possibility of the transporter sinking with some of the Ford folks at the heritage day last weekend...
Don't want to think about that!!!

On the tax they have given me the option of registering before or after 1 April, even if the car isn't in the country, which I thought odd but there we go.

Good advice on the plates Slowhand, will tell the dealers and then work out what to do - I guess they can stick them for me with 3M tape.
Where did you get the Al plates from?

I'm with you on the colour SteveS - this is the second Mustang I have ordered because it wasn't the colour I wanted so re-ordered in Magnetic :)

I've heard Magnetic adds at least 15hp and decreases your chances of a speeding ticket by 19.47%
True story.

Matrix2020

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Golf R
They can't pre-register if the car is not in the country. Well that's what my dealer said.... And it makes sense.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Dorm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They can't pre-register if the car is not in the country. Well that's what my dealer said.... And it makes sense.
I'm with you - doesn't make sense if can register before. Ah dealers... :)

SteveS

...Bon Scott Land...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic
I'm with you - doesn't make sense if can register before. Ah dealers... :)
I don't think you're the first to be offered this...unless it was you that mentioned it before...
Though I agree you shouldn't be able to register the car til its here. Maybe they've found a way...

Matrix2020

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Golf R
I am no expert, but I would be worried about registering it in my name before it came in to the dealer in case the picture above happened!! Who would own the car at that point? Technically it would be the registered owner.

OP
OP

Dorm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't think you're the first to be offered this...unless it was you that mentioned it before...
Though I agree you shouldn't be able to register the car til its here. Maybe they've found a way...
Hmm don't think it was me that mentioned it, but then I struggled to log in today so it may very well have been! :doh:
Maybe they have, just seems weird that you can.

Oh well, makes no difference for me as I'd want the post 1 April anyway.
Only thing is it takes immediate cash away to spend on goodies!

stevec

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT!!
Throw away Manders guide. It boring anyway.
Go to dealer, say hi, ask where keys are and leave.

Most important thing really is to start exercising.

Start today. And you can do this anywhere and anytime.

Gently pull your face muscles into an insane type grin position, hold for 5 seconds and release. Do this for around 20 repetitions.

Gradually build up until you are holding the grin for around 15 seconds and 30 repetitions. Do this for between 5 and 7 times a day.

I know you think this is silly but trust me, if you do not do this you will get serious jaw ache from the grinning you will do when you get the Stang.

Ignore me at your peril!

Sponsored
OP
OP

Dorm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gently pull your face muscles into an insane type grin position, hold for 5 seconds and release. Do this for around 20 repetitions.

Gradually build up until you are holding the grin for around 15 seconds and 30 repetitions. Do this for between 5 and 7 times a day.

I know you think this is silly but trust me, if you do not do this you will get serious jaw ache from the grinning you will do when you get the Stang.

Ignore me at your peril!
Love this! :D
I drove a Mustang for the first time in months and months at the Heritage event last weekend and got a start on the facial muscle exercises!
But a great reminder to keep doing it!

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase

- After getting the car

You mean you weren't excited about getting the car already? ;)

1. Ask for them to stick it on with 3m tape, demand them not to drill until you know whether you want to keep that plate, change to a 3d/aluminium plate or to show n sto.
2.Sounds good, :) Best pray tax don't rise quickly now the media have clocked the 'stang Is cheap on tax!

Pickup - you're welcome on behalf of me and everyone who contributed :)

After getting car:
1) 1k miles run in is usually the good one
2) doesn't stop
3) do it now ;)!

OP
OP

Dorm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You mean you weren't excited about getting the car already? ;)

1. Ask for them to stick it on with 3m tape, demand them not to drill until you know whether you want to keep that plate, change to a 3d/aluminium plate or to show n sto.
2.Sounds good, :) Best pray tax don't rise quickly now the media have clocked the 'stang Is cheap on tax!

Pickup - you're welcome on behalf of me and everyone who contributed :)

After getting car:
1) 1k miles run in is usually the good one
2) doesn't stop
3) do it now ;)!
Ok, busted - of course I was excited! It feels like I can let it out of the bag now though!!

On the plate, that was pretty much what I decided - is the 3M tape easy to get off when the time comes?

Don't know what you mean on the tax - the government wouldn't respond to a populist media invented story to the detriment of a segment of societ.... oh. Nuts.

Ok, so 14 hours lapping the M25 it is to get the running in over and done with! ;)

Jimboy2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda Mx5 :(
I told my dealer not to drill the plate or stick it on. Took the risk and drove the car home with no plates on. Fitted sto n sho when I got home and then stuck the rear plate on.
Don't get too hung up on checking every fine detail. Make sure the panels look pretty straight and the paint is ok and then just enjoy yourself. Most of the other bits can be sorted later.
As for running it in I told myself I would go easy on it for the 1st 1000 miles. That would have taken me 3 months so gave up in the end and just enjoyed it

Goosey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT Magnetic
If you can see the car when it arrives at the garage and before it is PDI'd then I would recommend making a laminated sign for YOU to stick on the front saying DO NOT DRILL HOLES . No matter how many times you tell them this forum is littered with people that have rocked up and seen holes. Put the requirement down in an email and letter so if they do they have to repair it at their cost. Go on....ask me how I know !!!
Sponsored