Sponsored

anyone have a terminator before/while an s550??

hawk232

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 white GT premium
so here is the deal, i LOVE the s550. my wife currently drives it to work, and the plan was to get her a different car, but she has fallen in love with this one. That leaves me shopping for a play toy for me... I really do love the s550 but have ALWAYS wanted a terminator (03/04 cobra for the few who dont know). I would like peoples (who have had both) thoughts. OBVIOUSLY the termi is 12-13 years old now, but still curious on thoughts
Sponsored

Rustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rustan
Vehicle(s)
LB '17 GT Premium PP
Owned an '03 Cobra and I loved it to pieces when I had it. Easy to get crazy power out of them and the torque is awesome. That said the S550 is lightyears ahead in every aspect. You will need to put a lot of mods to get the power down and make it reliable too. The only advantage the Cobra has is forged interals and the T-56 however its cast iron making it nose heavy and you need to upgrade the input shaft on the T-56 or it could snap, the clutch was like a dump truck too. I would assume a low mile Cobra in good shape wouldn't be far off in price from a base GT too. Personally I prefer the S550 for all around driving but if you are nostalgic and want more of a weekend type raw driving experience the Cobra gets the nod. Cobra looks better too!

40calcobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Ty gtpp, 04 cobra
I have currently have both in my driveway. My 04 is a fun car but she is showing her age. I would look at a 11+ gt500 if I was to get rid of the 15 5.0

OP
OP

hawk232

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 white GT premium
low mile cobras are 20-25k so a little cheaper, but not terribly much. Thing is, cobra will hold its value, gt wont (no offense to anyone, i have one too!!). This car would just be a play toy and the 2016 isnt going anywhere.

I just seems weird to buy a second of the exact same car, i feel like i should get something different so that we can have two different experiences if that makes sense??

OP
OP

hawk232

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 white GT premium
I have currently have both in my driveway. My 04 is a fun car but she is showing her age. I would look at a 11+ gt500 if I was to get rid of the 15 5.0
Not really what i was asking... gt500 is more than i am willing to pay and im not getting rid of the 16????

Sponsored

Rustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rustan
Vehicle(s)
LB '17 GT Premium PP
I hear you but I will say this about value. If you mod it, then it won't hold as much value but if you don't mod then you will 100% miss out on the very roots of what made these cars so fun and popular. Stock was no fun and stock these cars will get owned by most new sports cars, 390hp ain't what it used to be.

I do understand too that the car could be unmodded and put back to stock in a resto 20-30 years from now when they become classics but I am not the type to look at a car as an investment.

OP
OP

hawk232

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 white GT premium
I hear you but I will say this about value. If you mod it, then it won't hold as much value but if you don't mod then you will 100% miss out on the very roots of what made these cars so fun and popular. Stock was no fun and stock these cars will get owned by most new sports cars, 390hp ain't what it used to be.

I do understand too that the car could be unmodded and put back to stock in a resto 20-30 years from now when they become classics but I am not the type to look at a car as an investment.
while an investment is never the goal with a play toy, if i am looking at two options and one would hold its value and the other wouldnt, thats definitely a pro!!!

OP
OP

hawk232

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 white GT premium
nobody else?

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
so here is the deal, i LOVE the s550. my wife currently drives it to work, and the plan was to get her a different car, but she has fallen in love with this one. That leaves me shopping for a play toy for me... I really do love the s550 but have ALWAYS wanted a terminator (03/04 cobra for the few who dont know). I would like peoples (who have had both) thoughts. OBVIOUSLY the termi is 12-13 years old now, but still curious on thoughts
I've got the 2003 Terminator. FUN car.

But compared to the new one, so much less refined.

You'd need to upgrade the IRS bushings if you want to get crazy and make sure you buy one that has had the engine replaced or at lease the drivers side head early on in the engines life. Mine had the "tick" and it lost compression in the 7 and 8 cylinders.

Ended up getting a reman and it has been awesome. Never did anything crazy. Just ported the blower, added and MGW gold handle short throw shifter (I swear the stock one is straight out of an F-Series Super Duty or something), replaced the exhaust with Borla stingers and X-pipe with high flow cats, and the car kicks butt - it's also the best engine note you will ever hear in your life.

Terminators are awesome. Just be sure you get one that's cared for.

Sawman70

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 Cobra, 13 GT Vert, 15 GT, 12 535i, 16 F type R
I currently own both along with a 13 GT/CS Vert. I am assuming you are asking which to buy. After sorting out the suspension I would say the S550 hands down. I am getting to the age where I am not so much about the straight line as I am about the whole experience of driving and the 15 is simply a much better all around car.

Sponsored

Sawman70

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 Cobra, 13 GT Vert, 15 GT, 12 535i, 16 F type R
it's also the best engine note you will ever hear in your life..
I agree. It really is as American V8 sounding as you can get.:cheers:

OP
OP

hawk232

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 white GT premium
I currently own both along with a 13 GT/CS Vert. I am assuming you are asking which to buy. After sorting out the suspension I would say the S550 hands down. I am getting to the age where I am not so much about the straight line as I am about the whole experience of driving and the 15 is simply a much better all around car.
thanks for the info, sounds like i made the right decision

Phil@JDM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Bullitt, 2004 Cobra, 1968 Fastback
I have both currently. I love my Terminator and will never get rid of it no matter what technology comes out. Once you own one you'll see what i mean, you make a connection with the car! It has a completely different feel to it. The s550 handles much better and the interior is 100 times nicer, and the overall ride feel is smoother, but the terminator has raw power that puts you in your seat, sounds amazing, has a better trans and more durable motor, and feels more like a racecar. Plus they hold their value very well and are not very common (atleast in my area) especially in good shape. Just my 2 cents.

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
[MENTION=10864]Zemedici[/MENTION]

choate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT A10 401A with Active Exhaust
I have both currently. I love my Terminator and will never get rid of it no matter what technology comes out. Once you own one you'll see what i mean, you make a connection with the car! It has a completely different feel to it. The s550 handles much better and the interior is 100 times nicer, and the overall ride feel is smoother, but the terminator has raw power that puts you in your seat, sounds amazing, has a better trans and more durable motor, and feels more like a racecar. Plus they hold their value very well and are not very common (atleast in my area) especially in good shape. Just my 2 cents.
Spot on. I've got a 2012 5.0 and I've never driven an s550 but the way I describe driving my coyote after a day or two of Cobra action is it feels like a Lincoln. Just boring, plain, smooth and comfortable. Phil hit the nail on the head with his comments. Feels like a race car and you definetly make a connection. It's just raw and in your face. Just get one, you won't regret it. But as others have said, make sure it's been cared for and not ragged out. Pully, OR mid, good tune and you will surprise a lot of newer car owners. My puts down 444/451 to the wheels with just a 2.93 upper, tune and exhaust
Sponsored