SteveS

...Bon Scott Land...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic
Buying a second hand 2016 Mustang in 5-10 years is going to be a dodgy business though. I think it would be optimistic to assume that even 10% were aware of the underseal issue and only a percentage of them will do anything about it.

goldengooner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2016 California Special Convertible
Do the US cars not have underseal?
nope, not even the Canadian cars, but they get a free car cover
Have spoken to a few people about this as there weather is a lot worse than ours, but not many seem that fussed about Underseal

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

Harebear72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 V8 GT Fastback
Buying a second hand 2016 Mustang in 5-10 years is going to be a dodgy business though. I think it would be optimistic to assume that even 10% were aware of the underseal issue and only a percentage of them will do anything about it.
Whilst I am awaiting what fords comments are regarding the under seal problem, can I ask Anyone on here that has either bought a brand new car or a secondhand car - have you EVER checked the under seal ????

I am 44 and have had 20 odd cars most being secondhand, 4 have been brand new and now my Mustang. I have NEVER checked Any of my previous cars for the under seal and if this had not been highlighted on the mustang, then I would be none the wiser.

If I can get it done free by ford under warranty then I will join the queue, but if not then "c'est la vie". I was not planning on selling my car anyway.

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Whilst I am awaiting what fords comments are regarding the under seal problem, can I ask Anyone on here that has either bought a brand new car or a secondhand car - have you EVER checked the under seal ????

I am 44 and have had 20 odd cars most being secondhand, 4 have been brand new and now my Mustang. I have NEVER checked Any of my previous cars for the under seal and if this had not been highlighted on the mustang, then I would be none the wiser.

If I can get it done free by ford under warranty then I will join the queue, but if not then "c'est la vie". I was not planning on selling my car anyway.
No but i've equally never bought a car of this value, I might do If i was looking at long term ownership, now I know about underseal!

Centurion07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Nope. Then again you can be damn sure that if I was buying a car with a well-documented specific issue that I would make that top of my list of things to either check during inspection or get fixed asap.

Monty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB
Took a relative (ex-mechanic) to buy an old 80's Ford Orion and recal we did a quick look under "hmmm underseal OK", but since then, I haven't ever even given it a second thought with any subsequent cars.

Thank the internet for giving us all a lot more to worry about. I used to be very happy washing said Orion with a bucket, sponge and Autoglym products. Now I have to use 3 buckets and spend 3 days rub clay all over my f***ing car! I find myself spending hundreds of pounds getting quartz coatings, underseal, catch cans and recently bought a 'self-healing' screen protector for the sat nav. I'm going to buy some magic beans off ebay tomorrow to put in the petrol tank.

downthepub

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Miles
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, VW California
nope, not even the Canadian cars, but they get a free car cover
Have spoken to a few people about this as there weather is a lot worse than ours, but not many seem that fussed about Underseal
Minus the Maritimes out east, and coastal BC, the vast majority of Canada is just too cold in winter for salt to work. Where I was in Alberta, they didn't salt and just layered chuckies on the roads. Loadsa cars with smashed windscreens.... And if ya saw a rusty car, guaranteed it would have come from the coast.

Sponsored

SteveS

...Bon Scott Land...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic
No, never, and I'm not going to start now either.
If Ford decide to fix under warranty (takes a second to PMSL) then great. If not I may fix myself later in the year. However I may not.
If I sell the car in the short-term it'll be for another Mustang or, dare I say it, another new car. The dealer will give me the same price underseal or no underseal.
If I sell the car 6 years+ down the line it'll probably be to some slavering youth who won't care.

I used to be very happy washing said Orion with a bucket, sponge and Autoglym products.
Autoglym? On an Orion? :D
I had an Orion once in such a hideous solid blue colour that it looked better dirty...

goldengooner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2016 California Special Convertible

When my S197 went on the ramp for MOTs she was spotless, and never even thought about Underseal, till it was mentioned on the sites. But now speaking to people, as this is a brand new car I hope to keep for many years think it makes sense to get it done.

matt020876

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt (Surprise)
Vehicle(s)
Carless till she arrived
Wouldn't you rather prevent the chance of the floor falling through in a few years??? :shrug::headbonk:

If you use the boat to launch boats into the sea that just might happen otherwise....

slowhand99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Vert Race Red ord 26/03/15 del 24/03/16
If Ford had done nothing, would we have even noticed? It is typical of the lack of customer communication that Ford have never told us what they were trying to achieve with the process (which I still believe was to coat the mechanicals, not the bodywork).

RSPcooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt. Mini 30. Q5
If Ford had done nothing, would we have even noticed? It is typical of the lack of customer communication that Ford have never told us what they were trying to achieve with the process (which I still believe was to coat the mechanicals, not the bodywork).
Coating exhaust systems with a potentially flammable material is not a good idea.
Sponsored