The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Just don't crap it out on the way to a meet, gibbo has now made 2/4 meets without an issue. 2/4 with issues both due to his oil cooler lol ;)!

Jokes aside, he's probably again, the most unfortunately experiences with this issue :).

Surely with now 5 cases of this (2 others, 2 gibbo, 1 wobs) Ford have to look into the fragility of these?
Sponsored

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
Just don't crap it out on the way to a meet, gibbo has now made 2/4 meets without an issue. 2/4 with issues both due to his oil cooler lol ;)!

Jokes aside, he's probably again, the most unfortunately experiences with this issue :).

Surely with now 5 cases of this (2 others, 2 gibbo, 1 wobs) Ford have to look into the fragility of these?

My guess is manufacturing defect on the cooler, mine had a small hole which came from inside the cooler, was not caused by a stone or physical damage which means generally manufacturing defect.

Or maybe a box of them got dropped!

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
My guess is manufacturing defect on the cooler, mine had a small hole which came from inside the cooler, was not caused by a stone or physical damage which means generally manufacturing defect.

Or maybe a box of them got dropped!
Would be interesting to know the vin build dates for each built, and the product batch numbers on each that's 'gone' and see if they were part of the same batch, otherwise, it's a TSB or a recall. :shrug:

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Would be interesting to know the vin build dates for each built, and the product batch numbers on each that's 'gone' and see if they were part of the same batch, otherwise, it's a TSB or a recall. :shrug:
4000 UK cars delivered I think now, lets say 2500 GT's, for 1% failure rate would be 25 cars and I think there has been less, as such a sub 1% failure rate does not warrant a recall.

To do would not be commercially viable and probably not needed, the cost to do such a recall would cost over ÂŁ100,000 on a car UK made little profit on.

As such Ford will deal with on case by case situation, if all of a sudden we see people reporting failures almost daily/weekly on social and forums where the failure rate goes beyond 3% or even double digits then Ford would act but as of now its seems like isolated cases from no doubt a bad batch of coolers. Only way Ford might issue a recall for such low numbers is if one car was to have an epic failure and burst in flames which could in theory happen if the oil cooler let go completely and larges volume of hot oil went onto very hot exhaust.

pardoneo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ex-'16 Mustang EcoBaby // Current '16 GT Convertible

Sponsored

stevec

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT!!
Ph dear.
Hope all gets fixed soon and correctly [MENTION=21107]Wobs[/MENTION]

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It is in fact a recall / TSB right?

http://repairpal.com/recall/16V779000

No. 16S40

That is a hose, could even be the same as what most dealers were fixing prior to delivery, though that is dated as October last year, so clearly another issue.

I shall raise this when I take my car to Ford next week for an alignment, to see if this has being carried out.

On my car the oil cooler failed, a hole developed in it, this happened once. The second time it happened was because the cooler had not being installed correct and thus damaging the gasket causing it to leak again, though nowhere near as drastic as originally, I was still able to drive the car, it just smelt and smoked a little when booting it. :D

This hose failure is more serious if anything, because that could and can indeed cause an engine failure and total loss of the engine also. Also if this come off the car's internal oil pressure warning system should activate warning of low oil pressure.

As such I suspect Wobs has the same issue I had, because a small oil leak can make a truly huge mess under the car, it only takes 100-200ml of oil and high speed to completely cover the underside of the car.

He also reported coolant contamination which the oil cooler causes when it has a hole in it as oil leaks into coolant system.

Hope you get it sorted Wobs, get it recovered to Ford, do not risk driving it, but as a test check oil level, if its on max or close, start the car and put your head next to passenger side front wheel and watch the oil cooler you will probably see as the engine heats up oil starts to squirt out as the oil warms and thins.

MikeR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT Convertible Auto Magnetic Euro PP Custom Pk
It is in fact a recall / TSB right?

http://repairpal.com/recall/16V779000

No. 16S40

I think you'll find that recall is specific to US model GT350 and GT350Rs which have an oil-to-air cooler with hose attachments.

The TSB quoted earlier by Steve (Wobs) is relevant to UK (RHD) GTs (to 26/7/16 build) which have oil-to-water coolers and have two fail-types; internal or external and two remedies

Last edited:

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just found this

http://ford.oemdtc.com/2604/oil-leak-from-engine-oil-cooler-right-hand-drive-2016-2017-ford-mustang

Not too sure what they mean "replace engine assemby" :eyebulge:

Miss this!

Exactly what happened to mine, if coolant contaminates engine oil, you will need a new engine, our cars already run piss thin oil, any thinner and boom.

My engine had no coolant contamination, but oil had leaked into coolant system though it was marginal at best but enough to cause filming/residue in coolant reservoir.

Hence the flush procedure and was another hold up on my car as the flush Ford use is very particular for the car and they only seem to ever have one bottle in stock in the UK at a time which they had to get from another dealership.

Yes it was a royal pain in the ass!

Sponsored
OP
OP
Wobs

Wobs

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
The car is currently in the Dealership and I've got a Mondeo courtesy car. I was offered a Fiesta by Ford (not the dealer), but out of principal, I asked for a bigger car.

The Dealers can't start on the car until tomorrow, but I have warned them it could be the oil cooler, and it could be a new engine.

For info, my coolant tank was heavily contaminated with oil (and so was my driveway, garage floor, and the underside of the car and the dual carriageway....:D)

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
The car is currently in the Dealership and I've got a Mondeo courtesy car. I was offered a Fiesta by Ford (not the dealer), but out of principal, I asked for a bigger car.

The Dealers can't start on the car until tomorrow, but I have warned them it could be the oil cooler, and it could be a new engine.

For info, my coolant tank was heavily contaminated with oil (and so was my driveway, garage floor, and the underside of the car and the dual carriageway....:D)
Glad it's in and being looked at, but, as doesn't sound good, im sure ford will do it up and get you back on the road in no time........ :bolt:

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Sounds like the hose came off then or it was a rather big hole. But like I say a small amount of oil can make a huge mess.

Hope they sort it promptly for you and demand they express all parts by air.

OP
OP
Wobs

Wobs

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Amazingly, I got my car back today, it was the oil cooler as some of you suspected, and there didn't seem to be a problem with oil in the water, I must have misread the situation, and so did the AA man.

A good result from the Dealer.

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Amazingly, I got my car back today, it was the oil cooler as some of you suspected, and there didn't seem to be a problem with oil in the water, I must have misread the situation, and so did the AA man.

A good result from the Dealer.
Or the dealer misread the situation, glad all is fixed, keep an eye out on your coolants and smoke from your car if possible just incase you do happen to see anything happen in the near future... :D!

They must have got that part proper quick, gibbo was MIA for about a month and was considering his car being sold lol!
Sponsored