2011-2014 Mustang GT 80mm TB How-to

jperls

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Metallic V6, 1970 mustang convertible
Hey that drill reamer combination I mentioned, SAVE your money it won't even cut a slot in wood, it even hangs up in wood. Or give your money to Red Cross, National Cancer Society or maybe even MOWM, somewhere it might do some good, by the way that's Mustang Owners Without Mods.
I have decided to go really old school. I am filing it by hand.
Sponsored

USMCtoARMY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 MT
Yes, you just need the right coupling piece that goes from the intake to the TB. They are a dime a dozen on eBay or any auto parts site. The TB will be 3.5 inch. I do not know the diameter of the Roush. My JLT was 3.5 just like the TB, was the reason I went with it because it flows straight through without shrinking. I used a transition coupler laying around from an old aftermarket intake off my old 2013 Mustang.

D BERRY

LostAtSea
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang v6
Well I finally got the aluminum adapter finished and on the car. And it only took me three weeks too. First of all the car runs exactly the same as with the adapter I bought, but of course does not flex at all which comforts the lizard part of my brain. Second thing is that I wouldn't wish this job on my worst enemy in the world. All I used was a drill press that won't drill a straight hole, a hack saw, a coping saw, and a Harbor Freight grinder that threw sandpaper rolls all over the basement. It looks like it was machined by a couple of drunk trunk monkeys, but works fine. I'm glad that I did it but wouldn't recommend that anyone else attempt it, unless you have the tools and experience. I didn't take a lot of pictures cause I didn't want to show off my lack of skill, but I do have a couple of the install yesterday.
100_0399.jpg
100_0400.jpg
100_0401.jpg
100_0403.jpg

Sponsored

soldier989

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP Premium
Nice work. I wouldnt be terribly upset with that. Piece of mind and settling the lizard brain is priceless.

D BERRY

LostAtSea
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang v6
Had I had the equipment I would have incorporated the factory gasket. When I took the other adapter off two of the diagonal bolts were only just past finger tight which shows just how effective the OEM gaskets are. Glad I did it but wouldn't recommend anyone else doing it.

Yes the lizard part of the brain, I heard an advertising guy say it's the instinctual part that tells you bigger is better and so on!:headbang:

jperls

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
So I tried hand filing it and thought I had it all done...tried multiple times to fit it...didn't fit. Took it to a machine shop, they said I did not file enough material off...I used their computer caliper and confirm this...asked them to see if they could do the rest, they couldn't because they said the drill bit would keep walking towards what I have already done.

My question is, would someone who has drilled out their throttle body/ had a machine shop do the work for them, be willing to take off their throttle body and trace the outline of the throttle body and the holes that were drilled so those of us who would like to do it ourselves have a template to work off of so we know how far to make the holes?

Many thanks,

Jason

D BERRY

LostAtSea
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang v6
So I tried hand filing it and thought I had it all done...tried multiple times to fit it...didn't fit. Took it to a machine shop, they said I did not file enough material off...I used their computer caliper and confirm this...asked them to see if they could do the rest, they couldn't because they said the drill bit would keep walking towards what I have already done.

My question is, would someone who has drilled out their throttle body/ had a machine shop do the work for them, be willing to take off their throttle body and trace the outline of the throttle body and the holes that were drilled so those of us who would like to do it ourselves have a template to work off of so we know how far to make the holes?

Many thanks,

Jason

I had a little trouble getting all my bolts started on my throttle body so I don't want to take it off. But I can trace the adapter I got from safeway, that I removed, that should work. But I have a throttle body spacer for the stock 3.7l intake which will have the correct bolt spacing that you need for the GT throttle body. All you would have to do would line up the holes in the spacer with the holes in the throttle body, putting the spacer on the intake side, and clamp them together. Get a sharp (new) drill bit that is the same size as the holes in the spacer, which are probably metric, and using the spacer as a guide for the bit and, slowly, I repeat slowly drill the throttle body out. Using a guide you should able to drill them right out, remember work slowly. If you want to try this just PM me an address and I'll send you the spacer ASAP. I don't want anything for it but the shipping cost which you can send after you receive it.

jperls

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
I had a little trouble getting all my bolts started on my throttle body so I don't want to take it off. But I can trace the adapter I got from safeway, that I removed, that should work. But I have a throttle body spacer for the stock 3.7l intake which will have the correct bolt spacing that you need for the GT throttle body. All you would have to do would line up the holes in the spacer with the holes in the throttle body, putting the spacer on the intake side, and clamp them together. Get a sharp (new) drill bit that is the same size as the holes in the spacer, which are probably metric, and using the spacer as a guide for the bit and, slowly, I repeat slowly drill the throttle body out. Using a guide you should able to drill them right out, remember work slowly. If you want to try this just PM me an address and I'll send you the spacer ASAP. I don't want anything for it but the shipping cost which you can send after you receive it.
Sent you a PM.

Sponsored

jperls

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
Hi everyone,

So I screwed up my throttle body and just bought another one off e-bay (they are pretty cheap). However, I decided to do a little experimenting and I disassembled the throttle body the best I could. What I found out is that the throttle position sensor is located in the black cover of the throttle body. There are two pins that slightly protrude from the plastic cover. These connect to two pins coming out of the motor assembly.

Now here is why one cannot just swap the throttle position sensor from the V6 to the GT throttle bodies for the 15 mustangs...they are mounted differently. The v6 throttle body uses star-screws while from pictures, it looks like the throttle position sensor is mounted to the GT throttle body via clips. In addition, the shape of the throttle position sensors is different (at least how they look from the outside).

So in short, we are SOL with swapping over the throttle position sensors from our v6 to the 2015/16 GT throttle bodies.

OP
OP
whatdoyoufeedit?

whatdoyoufeedit?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Race Red EB A10 (Formerly 2016 3X Yellow V6 M6), 1996 Mercury Cougar XR7 4.6L A4 (Future Coyote swap candidate)
Hi everyone,

So I screwed up my throttle body and just bought another one off e-bay (they are pretty cheap). However, I decided to do a little experimenting and I disassembled the throttle body the best I could. What I found out is that the throttle position sensor is located in the black cover of the throttle body. There are two pins that slightly protrude from the plastic cover. These connect to two pins coming out of the motor assembly.

Now here is why one cannot just swap the throttle position sensor from the V6 to the GT throttle bodies for the 15 mustangs...they are mounted differently. The v6 throttle body uses star-screws while from pictures, it looks like the throttle position sensor is mounted to the GT throttle body via clips. In addition, the shape of the throttle position sensors is different (at least how they look from the outside).

So in short, we are SOL with swapping over the throttle position sensors from our v6 to the 2015/16 GT throttle bodies.
Yep I messed up my "test" throttle body as well lol. That's when I decided to just pay the small sum of taking it to the machine shop with my stock 67mm unit + measurements and letting them do the drilling portion. Yep, housings/sensors are non-interchangeable.

soldier989

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP Premium
Finally got to drive the car around today. The best 0-60 I got was 6.1 seconds. Before I put the car away last fall, my best was 6 seconds flat. I'm definetly a bit rusty coming from my Saturn Vue 5 speed winter beater. I dont see this TB making the car slower, lol. It feels a lot better!

mustangv6magn

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
@mmagnetic2016
Vehicle(s)
2016 procharged v6 magnetic 2016 ford eplorer
I have been lurking for a while on this thread to do this mod. But since I'm Procharged 1.will I have to get it retuned
2. Would I need to swap out my cai that came with the procharger kit
Would love to have this done but kinda scared lol.

Fuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
You won't necessarily need to change the cai but you will definitely need to change to the TB adapter zack made for boosted applications to fit the GT TB.
Tube sizing is what you need to check. If the cai tubing is 3.5 or greater you are good to go and just need the proper coupler or reducer. If the tubing is 3in you can get a reducer and just put it on the opposite way. Or you can change your entire cai tubing to 3.5in or greater, people have done their own custom tubing/cai.
I would definitely talk to your tuner and wait for other people to chime on this before you get started.

It would be interesting to see what results you get from this.

BTW there is a 10% off at shapeways atm: Flash10
Sponsored

Last edited: