Sponsored

TRIPLE YELLOW S550 MUSTANG Thread

XXXmustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Triple Yellow Mustang Ecoboost
I've done the same with previous rims.

They are actually plastidip. I'm wrestling with the idea of powder coating them. I like the option of coming back to factory look, but the maintenance is annoying. Here are a few shots. I just snapped a few with my phone and it's a really crappy day here in paradise.

Sponsored

Friend of Dorothy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Twister Orange 2020 FN GT

MSMStannyl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium - Triple Yellow
I've been on this forum for quite some time now but am late to the party that is this thread. Here's my contribution. This is my 2015 GT, purchased 02/15, at Dundalk Marine Terminal (Port of Baltimore). I'm down there for work here and there and took advantage of a great shot IMO.
IMG_3979.jpg

MSMStannyl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I also like this older shot. This is before I switched over to the black badges all around...

Am currently looking into possibly dipping the wheels black. I had someone in the Photoshop thread make the wheels black and I really like the look!
IMG_2130.jpg
Black Wheels.jpg

flying dutchman

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.microseconds.com
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2015 Triple Yellow GT / 1966 GT Convertable
I also like this older shot. This is before I switched over to the black badges all around...

Am currently looking into possibly dipping the wheels black. I had someone in the Photoshop thread make the wheels black and I really like the look!
I have same setup, I was thinking of powdering black...

Sponsored

5-OH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT

Do it, the 20's look sick in gloss or flat black I wish they came that way.

aham23

FPC 5.2
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 FJG Mach 1 w/ HP

Westys10

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black GT/CS Convertible A6
Added matte overlays from Fivepoint0.
IMG_6695.jpg
IMG_6696.jpg

MSMStannyl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have same setup, I was thinking of powdering black...
I assume that would be permanent, right? I figured I would try dipping them first to see how it looks. I contacted a local place about it. They said $200 for flat black or $250 for gloss black (for all 4 wheels). Not sure which way to go. I'll probably wait until after winter.

From what I've read, if dipping is done correctly, it can last for years, even with high pressure washers. I have not personally had any experience with plasti dipping anything but I'm pretty much on board to try this on the wheels. Worst case, I can just get it removed.

Do it, the 20's look sick in gloss or flat black I wish they came that way.
Yeh, I really like how it looks in the photoshop pic. Def want to do it! What do you think, gloss or flat?

Westys10

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black GT/CS Convertible A6
I assume that would be permanent, right?
What do you think, gloss or flat?
Powdercoat is definitely permanent, but low maintenance. Is that price from the shop plastidipping or powder coating?

I've dipped many of my wheels, and it does hold up well if done correctly. I've never been a fan of gloss plastidip, I think it looks kind of tacky but I'm sure others disagree. I'm always careful when washing not to peel it off. Changing tires and rotations are hard to manage if a shop is doing it. I've always debated powder coating to make everything easier, but I like that I can always redo my dip for $20.

Sponsored

invaliduser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Convertible PP
I got my triple yellow 5.0 on nokina hakkapeliittas.

F the weather prepare for it rock some snow tires and drive it!!

North Dakota just got 16 inches in less than a week!
Here's mine driving around in the small blizzard yesterday. The only problem is on good days I have to drive a bit more carefully. Don't want to tear the tread off of these tires.. :frusty:

MSMStannyl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Powdercoat is definitely permanent, but low maintenance. Is that price from the shop plastidipping or powder coating?

I've dipped many of my wheels, and it does hold up well if done correctly. I've never been a fan of gloss plastidip, I think it looks kind of tacky but I'm sure others disagree. I'm always careful when washing not to peel it off. Changing tires and rotations are hard to manage if a shop is doing it. I've always debated powder coating to make everything easier, but I like that I can always redo my dip for $20.
The price quote I mentioned was for plasti dipping the wheels. I'm guessing that powder coating would cost substantially more. Since I have no experience with it, I figured the best thing to do would be to let a professional handle it. I believe they take the wheels off the car to do it although I'm assuming they leave the tire on.

Would you normally just dip the face of the wheel or would you also do the barrel?

EDIT: I have since received a quote from a local powder coating place and figured I would share as an FYI. The place I contacted is saying it would cost $120 per 20" wheel to strip it and powder coat it. Unfortunately, they would also require you to just bring them the wheel (no tire, TPMS, valve stem, etc.) and it could take up to 2 weeks depending on their workload.

Considering Plasti Dipping would take a few hours, that's probably the direction I would go. I can't afford to not have wheels on my DD for 2 weeks! Ha

Last edited:

revtime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
As one of the rare colors you would think I would not see many Triple Yellow around town but so far I have seen 3.
Going to have my Mishimoto overflow tank custom painted to match the car. Should be unique.
Got the PP wheels on. Firestone Firehawk tires.
V6 PP.jpg

R3v

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT MT & Recaro
just some updating to mine...
You sir were my inspiration. Sold my Guard Egoboost few weeks ago and got a new 2017 GT in Tripple Yellow. Fantastic color but I was thinking about wrapping the roof and mirrors into the black. And when I saw your pics I was immediately sold! I'm not sure yet whether I wanna also black 5.0 badges, can't decide. Maybe I'll plastidip it, what do you think?

Here it is, EU version:
2017-03-13 19.21.09.jpg
Sponsored