Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
Swung by a local shop with a dyno and made a few runs. With a drop in filter and Corsa sport catback it pulled 350/320 in 4th gear. Car only has 900 miles on it so not even fully broke in yet and I am on stock tune. This was only for baseline info, no tweaks or SAE manipulation.

So, for questions: do most of you run your tests in 4th or 5th? (3.73 gears) And what kind of numbers have you guys been seeing with basic bolt ons?
Sponsored

BlackGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 triple black GT convertible
It depends on the type dyno. I believe the dynojet guys are using 5th gear. Mustang dynos are using 3rd. I have an auto and on a mustang dyno in third gear, I got 329/301 to the wheels. Mine was all stock with a whopping 1300-1400 miles. Post blower, I got 525/406 on the same dyno.

madweazl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
For manuals, 5th gear is a 1:1 ratio which is typically what is used for dyno pulls. Pretty sure my pulls were done in 4th gear (I have a manual) but the dyno is setup and loaded for this so the numbers shouldnt change much.

As for being broke in, that is a thing of the past. While your numbers are lower than most that are posted, it really doesnt mean anything. Make your changes and go back to the same shop to see your progress.

Sasuketr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GTPP
Go to the dealer and demand the rest of your ponies! Some say Ford underrate their engines!

LHousePhoto

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.lhousephotography.com
First Name
Lane
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT Premium - Performance Package
Vehicle Showcase
Bone stock on 91 Octane in 5th gear my car was 367 whp and 349 wtq. That number seems low, but as long as you always use the same dyno you'll still know accurate numbers and gains.

Sponsored

whatsup62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP (Gone but not forgotten).
Bone stock on 91 Octane in 5th gear my car was 367 whp and 349 wtq. That number seems low, but as long as you always use the same dyno you'll still know accurate numbers and gains.
He dyno'd in fourth gear. If you calculate it out its almost identical to your numbers in 5th.

craigsix

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
craig
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
Swung by a local shop with a dyno and made a few runs. With a drop in filter and Corsa sport catback it pulled 350/320 in 4th gear. Car only has 900 miles on it so not even fully broke in yet and I am on stock tune. This was only for baseline info, no tweaks or SAE manipulation.

So, for questions: do most of you run your tests in 4th or 5th? (3.73 gears) And what kind of numbers have you guys been seeing with basic bolt ons?
was this a manual or auto? what octane gas?

V8EATR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
My car lost 10whp by doing it in 4th, back to back runs on the dyno

Sponsored
OP
OP
Evolvd

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
Thank you for the info, I thought it was odd running in 4th since it's a 6-speed. As for a tune, I'm going to hold off on that awhile until I'm comfortable with answering to a voided warranty should Ford see a counter on my ECM. Next time I add a performance mod I'll make sure they pull in 5th.

The other odd thing we ran into was after the first few initial pulls they shut the car off to let it cool down. When they started it back up the traction control management system lit up like a Christmas tree and kicked in during subsequent runs. The selector switch for Sport/Track/Snow did nothing and was locked out. Apparently the software doesn't like that the front wheels weren't turning and after the first runs and it basically put it in "limp" mode. Once the car was off the rollers it reset itself within about 20 feet of driving and all was good to go.

So if you plan to do some dyno runs, keep this in mind.

whatsup62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP (Gone but not forgotten).
The other odd thing we ran into was after the first few initial pulls they shut the car off to let it cool down. When they started it back up the traction control management system lit up like a Christmas tree and kicked in during subsequent runs. The selector switch for Sport/Track/Snow did nothing and was locked out. Apparently the software doesn't like that the front wheels weren't turning and after the first runs and it basically put it in "limp" mode. Once the car was off the rollers it reset itself within about 20 feet of driving and all was good to go.

So if you plan to do some dyno runs, keep this in mind.
Planning on dyno time this week. So after first run if car is shut off, cant you just hold in traction control button for like the 5-8 second window and turn advance trac "off" ? Wont that work? What other steps to do to make sure it does not engage?

OP
OP
Evolvd

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
I don't know the answer to that as it was a surprise to me when they brought it up. They put it in track mode for the first few runs. I'd say give it a try but if that doesn't work and you decide to shut the car off you'll need to back the car off the dyno and drive it a little bit for it to reset.
Sponsored