Christmas came on Saturday

filmamigo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Black 2015 Mustang V6 fastback
I picked up my S550 on Saturday. :D I felt like a kid the night before, waiting for Christmas!

First thoughts after driving all weekend (200+ km so far). Remember, I'm coming from a 2012 S197. My car is a BASE V6 with NO OPTIONS. I did buy a set of 18" forged wheels and tires from a forum member, and had them installed before I picked up the car.

• Handling is beautiful. The car is SO planted when accelerating. No worry jimmy and shake when accelerating hard on an uneven highway ramp. Corners are carved with assurance and without the feel that the back end might bounce loose.
  • Clutch and shifter are comfortable ... but I'll show my age and lack of sophistication by saying that 6 speeds feels crowded on a shifter!
  • The mirror adjust buttons are too far forward on the door. I have to lean forward (and lose my natural line of sight) to adjust the mirrors.
  • Finally! Telescoping steering wheel! Bliss
  • Sight lines are a little compromised compared to the S197, which was really clear. The front pillars on the S550 are quite large.
  • Electronics, SYNC etc all seem to work better on the S550 than the S197. Faster response, less trouble getting voice recognition to work, quick and seamless with my iPod Classic.
  • MUCH better sound from the factory exhaust. The S197 was SILENT. Unfortunately my replacement Roush axelbacks were too loud. Now the S550 has an appropriate burble (without any drone, and without waking the neighbours.)
  • Back-up camera. Wow! I am amazed that tech like this is included on a BASE car. I remember when a base car meant no radio, only one side mirror, and painted metal interior! :doh:
  • Base stereo. It works great, slicker than the Shaker system in my S197. 6 speakers is OK, but doesn't sound great. It is missing mid-range definition and missing any real bass thump. I just have to remind myself BASE CAR and imagine a one-speaker AM radio :headbang:
  • The wireless keyfob seems overly complex. The "Start" button mimics the original method of starting cars (which high performance cars maintained.) Think back to my Dad's Ford Model A -- the key went into the dash to turn on the electrics, and then you push the start button to crank the engine. That makes sense to me. With wireless, I don't know where to put the fob, and the door locking/unlocking seems to have too many "what if" scenarios. I find myself using the Lock/Unlock buttons on the fob so that I am sure of what the car will do.
  • The response to the S550 has been muted. My S197 got a LOT of comments and compliments, several times a week. When driving near kids, they would always look and point. This weekend, even parking at a big tournament full of 6 and 7 year-olds, the S550 didn't get a glance. On the highway, the S197 would get a lot of people driving alongside to look, and lots of thumbs up. Two days of highway driving the S197, and not a glance. I know it's silly and juvenile, but I like having a car that makes people excited and happy. Maybe I should have got Race Red :D
All in all, I am really enjoying my car, and I'm proud to own an S550.
Sponsored

Khyber

it's a hard parked life
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP CO

grats!

Barrel

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars and Trucks
The wireless keyfob seems overly complex. The "Start" button mimics the original method of starting cars (which high performance cars maintained.) Think back to my Dad's Ford Model A -- the key went into the dash to turn on the electrics, and then you push the start button to crank the engine. That makes sense to me. With wireless, I don't know where to put the fob, and the door locking/unlocking seems to have too many "what if" scenarios. I find myself using the Lock/Unlock buttons on the fob so that I am sure of what the car will do.
This couldn't be simpler. To help you out: keep the keyfob in your pocket. Walk up to your locked car, make contact with the inside of the handle. Door unlocks. Sit down, press the engine start button. Done. When you park, press the engine on/off button, get out, close the door, press the ridged area on the handle. Door locks. Revel in the fact you'll never had to fumble with keys again.

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
  • The response to the S550 has been muted. My S197 got a LOT of comments and compliments, several times a week. When driving near kids, they would always look and point. This weekend, even parking at a big tournament full of 6 and 7 year-olds, the S550 didn't get a glance. On the highway, the S197 would get a lot of people driving alongside to look, and lots of thumbs up. Two days of highway driving the S197, and not a glance. I know it's silly and juvenile, but I like having a car that makes people excited and happy. Maybe I should have got Race Red :D
Congratulations on your new S550! Enjoy it:cheers:

Weird the response has been muted in that way.

My 2015 GTPP has been in my small town for 6.5 months now and I still get thumbs up, questions, comments, rev the engine, etc.

Case in point. We ate at a local Italian restaurant and coming up the alley beside it, this 13-14 year old heard my car and ran over to the fence on the patio area and was just smiling ear to ear. So I gave him and all the patrons on the patio and nice 6k rev :)

Went to a wedding last Saturday and all the boys there ran up and said "Mr. so and so, we love your new Mustang. It is just beautiful and love the exhaust"

OP
OP
filmamigo

filmamigo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Khyber: I feel ya on the photos! But it seemed like I picked up my car just in time for a two-day hurricane. Sunshine, wash and wax, then photos!

Barrel: Thanks.

One more question related to the fob ... I can't puzzle out (or find in the manual) how to get the equivalent of putting the keys in the ignition and turning them to Accessory. For example:
- get in the car, and want to roll down the windows? Nope. Guess I'll start the car.
- get in the car, and want to listen to the radio while I wait for someone? Nope. Guess I'll start the car.

Obviously I'm missing something! LOL I can't believe that a 42-year old tech guy is getting stumped by his car... but I suddenly feel OLD AND FEEBLE! Help me out guys!

Sponsored

DiEzel

GTFO OG - The Professor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
Oxford white GT Premium PP
[*]The wireless keyfob seems overly complex. The "Start" button mimics the original method of starting cars (which high performance cars maintained.) Think back to my Dad's Ford Model A -- the key went into the dash to turn on the electrics, and then you push the start button to crank the engine. That makes sense to me. With wireless, I don't know where to put the fob, and the door locking/unlocking seems to have too many "what if" scenarios. I find myself using the Lock/Unlock buttons on the fob so that I am sure of what the car will do.
As mentioned above. Keep the fob in your pocket and the car is extremely predictable with its actions as it behaves as intended/designed.

You should have to hit the brake to start the car/engage the clutch... Try not pushing the brake/depressing the clutch and hitting the button for accessories.

EcoSwag1990

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GT
filmamigo;612966 [LIST said:
[*]The mirror adjust buttons are too far forward on the door. I have to lean forward (and lose my natural line of sight) to adjust the mirrors.
Haha
mirror adjust.jpg

Mike00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Z06, Jeep Grand Cherokee, Triumph Thunderbird
Khyber: I feel ya on the photos! But it seemed like I picked up my car just in time for a two-day hurricane. Sunshine, wash and wax, then photos!

Barrel: Thanks.

One more question related to the fob ... I can't puzzle out (or find in the manual) how to get the equivalent of putting the keys in the ignition and turning them to Accessory. For example:
- get in the car, and want to roll down the windows? Nope. Guess I'll start the car.
- get in the car, and want to listen to the radio while I wait for someone? Nope. Guess I'll start the car.

Obviously I'm missing something! LOL I can't believe that a 42-year old tech guy is getting stumped by his car... but I suddenly feel OLD AND FEEBLE! Help me out guys!
Well if it works like most other brands you should be able to just get in the car and press the start button without your foot on the brake. This should turn on the accessory power for you.

OP
OP
filmamigo

filmamigo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
LOL ok so it's not actually an Engine Start or Crank button. I didn't want to hit the button without the clutch being in, because I didn't want the car to roll from the starter!

Time to update my thinking...

Sponsored

fionic

spaghettios and cheerios
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP
That makes sense to me. With wireless, I don't know where to put the fob, and the door locking/unlocking seems to have too many "what if" scenarios. I find myself using the Lock/Unlock buttons on the fob so that I am sure of what the car will do.

?. Put the fob in your pocket

RevvdMedia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
  • Sight lines are a little compromised compared to the S197, which was really clear. The front pillars on the S550 are quite large.
Coming from my last car - 2012 Kia Sportage, the A pillars are comparatively quite thin, so I'm really enjoying that lol.

I will admit the rear quarter window behind the driver's seat when driving is pretty much useless, the spotter mirrors help though.

DJinAC

More cars than brains
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DJ
Vehicle(s)
2017 Super Black Nissan Altima SL
Welcome to the club and Congrats on the ride!

Old Car Guy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Tech Pack. AG Black Roof Black Stripes G3597
New Mustang........

Congrats on your new Mustang Enjoy......... :) :)
Sponsored