Sponsored

Can We Talk About the V6?

Jamo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Cobra Coupe
A V6 Manual, with a 355 axle, interior lighting kit and sport pedals is $25,495 MSRP. Pretty good. You have to stick with 17" wheels, I don't know, maybe they more practical, year around?

Also, I don't think you need premium gas with the V6, but I think you do with the V8 and eBoost engines. That's a plus.

I think you're stuck with a black interior, aren't you?

Would anyone think a V6 like this is missing the boat, when everyone else is getting V8s and eBoosts, or a good idea?
Sponsored

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
It sounds great for a DD.

You don't HAVE to run premium in the 5.0 or EB, but to get optimal power and FE you do.

Yes you're stuck with the standard interior

No, it sounds like a fun car to drive. It seems from some of our own members testing the revisions to the 3.7 respond well to modifications.

Jeepwx03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Mustang, 15 Mustang GT PP, 13 F150 FX4
I ordered a GT, so it is hard for me to provide input on reasons to purchase a V6. What I can say is premium gas is not required for the GT and ecoboost. you can use regular, but will have decreased Hp/Tq, but it is not required.

EcoSwag1990

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GT
V6 sounds like a good reliable daily driver. If your not planning to do modifications (in which case I would recommend base EB instead) it is a great deal vs other cars in the same price range for all of the standard features and the exterior styling. The wheels do kind of suck, but hey, you get much cheaper tires

MSamuels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 5.0 Mustang
For 23K (thats the X Plan price BEFORE rebates), I think the V6 is a steal. Id still get a base GT over that though.

Sponsored

Jeepwx03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Mustang, 15 Mustang GT PP, 13 F150 FX4
I might catch some cap for saying this, but I'm not the first. A lot of articles are saying Ford only kept the V6 for rental car companies. I think the EB base is a good option as well

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
It's a surprisingly fun car for a daily driver. I have one for a rental this week (with a manual!!) and the 051A package. That gets you the nice 18" wheels, power driver's seat and the fog lamps.

Even with the 3.15 axle ratio it's quick around town, and I am getting about 30 mpg in a 20/80 city/highway drive.
_20150126_171344_2.jpg

MSamuels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 5.0 Mustang
They would have kept the V6 forever if CAFE wasnt dramatically increasing each year starting this year. All this ecoboost is cool stuff is because they have to sell ecoboosts from this point forward, and thw V8 cant really even exist in a few years. For those that dont realize, the auto makers and the feds agreed to the final 10 year plan. CAFE raises by 1 mpg minimum every single year for the next 10.

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
I enjoy my 3.7 with 3.31 gears, it is fast enough for most people haha. I wanted to procharge it but after doing a lot of research and pricing it just did not make sense to do so, so I went to get a 15 GT instead. If you plan to stay stock for the most part, the 3.7 is a good choice, but the EB is super appealing. It is easier to make power, and you have options :D

blkandgud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT Premium
Kinda makes me wonder why they are willing to ditch the V6. It's still a relatively new engine and makes great power/mileage. Funny that they won't upgrade the interior.

Sponsored

Bay1Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic '15 V6 051a
As a stock car it's great. The performance times for 0-60 and quarter mile are neck and neck between the V6 and EB. With the EB you get some more power down low but you lose it all after 5k. With the V6 you have power all the way to redline. Neither are worth comparing to the GT because they're not in the same league. Basically if you want a reliable and fun car you plan to keep stock the V6 is the way to go. Plus it sounds pretty good.

Nobody knows what's coming for 2016, though. The last official article had V6 and EB sales equal. That might mean they add packages to the V6 or it might mean they axe it, who knows.

Mustang Convert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
It's a surprisingly fun car for a daily driver. I have one for a rental this week (with a manual!!) and the 051A package.
Where did you find a rental with a manual?? I had to learn how to drive manual on my Mustang after I bought it, and when I asked around about rental companies with manuals, I was told they were non-existent. Wish I had known that was an option so I could have known how to drive manual better the day I picked my car up. Might be good to know going forward for when I teach my wife manual.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
I think one would be a great DD. Especially if you ordered one carefully with 051A, manual, and 3.55 axle. Cheap too.

Everyone seems to overlook the V6 with "only" 300 HP, how soon we forgot that many, many S197 GTs had the same output....

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Where did you find a rental with a manual?? I had to learn how to drive manual on my Mustang after I bought it, and when I asked around about rental companies with manuals, I was told they were non-existent. Wish I had known that was an option so I could have known how to drive manual better the day I picked my car up. Might be good to know going forward for when I teach my wife manual.
Budget Kansas City. From the airport.

K-Roll302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT Premium, '80 Porsche 924 Turbo
It's a surprisingly fun car for a daily driver. I have one for a rental this week (with a manual!!) and the 051A package. That gets you the nice 18" wheels, power driver's seat and the fog lamps.

Even with the 3.15 axle ratio it's quick around town, and I am getting about 30 mpg in a 20/80 city/highway drive.
Where in our state did you find a manual V6 rental?? I want it next!! :thumbsup:

Or maybe just swing by and let me have a go?:hail:
Sponsored