Sponsored

Protecting front fenders behind the front wheel step 1..

5ABI VT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
I found it really odd and waned to share.. On my e46 m3 the fender liner behind the front wheel sits ahead of the metal fender. This would stop debris and rocks etc from hitting the folded painted part which would eventually lead to rust from chips and just spread from there. I plan to design a piece of plastic trim that will reuse the oem clip holes and cover the metal/painted fender because imo it's the one spot that rust starts on almost all cars.

What I found was the plastic liner sits behind the metal fender lip :tsk: I pulled out the clips on the bottom (3), ine on the top and just folded the plastic liner out so it sits ahead of the metal fender. Doesn't cover it fully but this how it should have been from the factory imo. Still plan to add expel on the remaining painted part that's still prone to chips but in the meantime I feel better knowing most of it is covered.

What I'm talking about ..
Sponsored

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Would it be nice for someone to design an extended plastic lip like on the Z06 Corvette?
546b2966b3162_-_01corvettez06-lg.jpg

OP
OP

5ABI VT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
Would it be nice for someone to design an extended plastic lip like on the Z06 Corvette?
Yup that would be perfect for me. I just want the fenders protected but nothing protruding more than a few mm at most to keep chips from happening there. Then again the fronts can protrude a little more since aggressive wheels and tires will fling debris onto the sides ahead of the rear wheels.

OP
OP

5ABI VT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT

Sponsored

Zerobar78

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO GT, PP
I bought those splash guards from RPI and had to send them back, the fronts fit fine but the rears were nowhere near close. Was forced to go with the badly overpriced AM guards, they do work quite well though and are easy to remove/install.

Best bet is if you want to do it on a budget is make something yourself.

friendgr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I bought those splash guards from RPI and had to send them back, the fronts fit fine but the rears were nowhere near close. Was forced to go with the badly overpriced AM guards, they do work quite well though and are easy to remove/install.

Best bet is if you want to do it on a budget is make something yourself.
Do you mean these?
http://www.americanmuscle.com/splashguard-set-2015.html

Are they easy to clean or they look always washed out black like "dirty" ?

Zerobar78

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO GT, PP
Do you mean these?
http://www.americanmuscle.com/splashguard-set-2015.html

Are they easy to clean or they look always washed out black like "dirty" ?
Yes those. They are removable and so very easy to clean. I only use them when I have to travel down a dirt/gravel road. They simply slide on/off with the foam grips on them so they may not be the best if you want something on for everyday as it would be too easy for someone to simply walk off with them.

And as mentioned they are just badly overpriced, problem is nobody seems to make an equal or better set yet, the RPI ones work well in the front but not the rear. You'd think Ford would have something to offer by now.

pocketchange

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I used clear 3M film from Amazon behind the wheels on the fenders in a few spots for 25 bucks. Can't really tell it is there when you do it inline with the edges or body creases and after 4500 miles no issues.

But if someone made a nice molded guard I would buy some!
Sponsored