Sponsored

Official: 2018 Ford Mustang Refresh Detailed! (Options/Features, Specs, Photos, Info)

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Now which one...?
GT?

Bullitt?

Mach 1?

FI "GT500"?

I admire how Ford are able to play their cards very close to their chests......but as an enthusiast its as frustrating as heck wondering if all of these will actually come to fruition!

I mean.....not a single spy shot since the '18MY was revealed. I guess a Bullitt wouldn't require a prototype, least not one with the visual changes as it would be, pretty much a HG GT......but we've seen no prototypes that could be a Mach 1 or GT500.....least not since the pre-facelift ones were spotted (the hacked up white GT with the quad exhaust and the GT350 with the camo'd front).

We needs some clues, Ford :ford:
Sponsored

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
"Mach 1, Bullitt?......"

At least he tried asking :D

Well at least at the end when asked about the New York Auto Show he said "we'll have to wait and see" which seems like a bit of a hint, but maybe I'm grasping at straws here :p

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Haha....yeah, I think you and I might be pulling at different ends of the same straw :D

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Haha....yeah, I think you and I might be pulling at different ends of the same straw :D
Well the good news is the New York press days are April 12-13th so we're exactly a month away from whatever news there might be there. Not much longer!

Sponsored

Bucknasty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hopefully Soon
I've looked at high resolution Ford and media pictures and videos of PP 18's with both the current and apparently optional new style PP wheels. All show the new Michelin tires in 255/40x19 F and 275/40x19 R.
Damn, I was hoping Ford would up the tire size a little to at least 285 or even 295. Maybe they don't want the new PP getting to close to the big brother GT350.

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Damn, I was hoping Ford would up the tire size a little to at least 285 or even 295. Maybe they don't want the new PP getting to close to the big brother GT350.
Could also be to leave room for a Mach 1 or Bullitt. Otherwise I'm surprised they didn't increase the tire width either. Unless maybe the new Michelins are just that good that they didn't have to go wider to achieve their handling goals?

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
In addition to "marketing" reasons including cost and "product positioning" there would be a lot of engineering development needed for both handling, component durability, and probably aero drag and balance requirements since the front tires would have to move further out into the airstream given how little clearance the current PP tires have to the struts. Per the chief engineer in one video even the MagneRide shock option required stronger hub/knuckle/spindle parts due to the increased compression loading.

Current sizes work fine for me since I already own 2 sets of PP Forgestar wheels for FS autocrossing and "want" to trade my 15 GT PP manual for an 18 GT PP automatic. :-)

moto111

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
the 18 looks the same as the 15 besides a smushed in front end. sound is subjective anyway since all of us go aftermarket anyways. gt350 over the damn 18 all day long are you on crack lol

dogiebitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ram 1500 Rebel 5.7L
Vehicle Showcase
I haven't seen an 18 in person yet, but from all of the photos the front end keeps throwing me off. I've pinned it down to the pushed in lower front end. The double inward indentions make it look weird. See profile picture comparisons and look at the lower half of the front bumper. Combined with the new headlights, it looks like the front is reaching too hard.
2015-Ford-Mustang-GT-side-profile.jpg
2018-ford-mustang-page-5.jpg

Sponsored

Dsquared

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP LB
I haven't seen an 18 in person yet, but from all of the photos the front end keeps throwing me off. I've pinned it down to the pushed in lower front end. The double inward indentions make it look weird. See profile picture comparisons and look at the lower half of the front bumper. Combined with the new headlights, it looks like the front is reaching too hard.
You are right.. I don't mind the '18 in general, but the front end geometry is odd on the '18 when you compare the two. On the '15-17 the angle of the bumper from top of the turn signal back to towards the wheel well (7 o'clock) is much more appealing and aggressive than compared to the '18 in the same area, where it runs parallel to the wheel well (5 o'clock). Add that indented (zigzag) area on the front of the bumper, and just too much going on profile/line wise. Also agree that the slope on the hood makes it look as if the front end is falling forward, again the geometry just seems a bit off.

It's my opinion that this happens in car refreshes often (from the visual aspect only, not speaking mechanically), you get something pretty much dead perfect, then you try and tweak it only for the sake of tweaking it, and nothing is really gained stylistically, in some cases it's actually a step in the wrong direction. If Ford is going more European exotic sleek, then they have succeeded, but I feel it's not as aggressive and muscular as the 15-17's. But hey, I know the '11- '14 owners were saying the same about the S550's..

Last edited:

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
. See profile picture comparisons and look at the lower half of the front bumper. Combined with the new headlights, it looks like the front is reaching too hard.
Which is why it looks dropey or like it has melted at the front. Instantly loved the 15. Did Ford not do any market research on the 18 styling?

Topnotch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mazda CX-9 Touring