Sponsored

Official: 2018 Ford Mustang Refresh Detailed! (Options/Features, Specs, Photos, Info)

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
This ↑↑↑

It does look a bit like the stripe guy either forgot to put the other thin stripe on or ran out of material and let it go anyway.

Norm

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Parks like an idiot. Maybe they should lower the hood another 6 inches so she can see the lines.
Maybe she is testing the real world durability of the front bumper when someone with similar parking skills pulls into that other space.

Sponsored

5pointOh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 Ingot Silver "Millennium Falcon" @falcon_s550
thats a dodge thing why on earth is it on a mustang
thats not a Dodge thing. Dodge(more specifically Mopar) uses an driver side offset stripe that is a lot thinner than what Ford used.

moto111

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
same concept it looks like it belongs on a euro car maybe but not a true mustang

Ericc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various Mustang GTs
The video that was posted in the Crimson Red 2018 topic really highlights how the EcoBoost grille makes a HUGE difference in appearance of the 2018 because it doesn't have the fangs. Those fangs are what brings a lot of the unbalance to the whole design, firstly because they are not a continuation of any other line above them and secondly because they are not parallel to the lines of the under grille, unlike the ones on the 2015.

Personally I already preferred the EB grille over the GT one on the 2015 as well, but on this refresh the difference really is day and night.

Also the matt texture on the EB grille looks much better than the gloss black on the GT ones we have seen so far. Although that might be part of a certain spec level and the GT grille might eventually also come in matt.
crimson.jpg

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2016 Cayman GT4
From information already published, Ford may rely on the OBD/Sync 3 system and use the owners smart phone and app for track duty instead of paying (quite a bit) for a built-in on board system.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/new-app-will-let-ford-gt-fans-save-and-share-their-track-exploits/
For telemetry data, that's cool. But a built-in dash cam for track and street duty would still be much preferred. Mounting and hardwiring a 3rd party dash cam can be a pain.

dtxstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CompOFiveO
The video that was posted in the Crimson Red 2018 topic really highlights how the EcoBoost grille makes a HUGE difference in appearance of the 2018 because it doesn't have the fangs. Those fangs are what brings a lot of the unbalance to the whole design, firstly because they are not a continuation of any other line above them and secondly because they are not parallel to the lines of the under grille, unlike the ones on the 2015.

Personally I already preferred the EB grille over the GT one on the 2015 as well, but on this refresh the difference really is day and night.

Also the matt texture on the EB grille looks much better than the gloss black on the GT ones we have seen so far. Although that might be part of a certain spec level and the GT grille might eventually also come in matt.
attachment.jpg

The fangs are a pretty clear continuation of the character lines in the hood...

Ecoboost grill looks pretty weak in comparison IMO

Sponsored

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
For telemetry data, that's cool. But a built-in dash cam for track and street duty would still be much preferred. Mounting and hardwiring a 3rd party dash cam can be a pain.
For track duty, you would simply use your cell phones camera...no need to hardwire anything. IMHO, it's the best of both worlds. No need to pay for a PDR that you would likely use just a few times a year. This would be a FREE system.

Those that want for street duty are out of luck though...as initiating it would be an annoyance on a regular basis.

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2016 Cayman GT4
For track duty, you would simply use your cell phones camera...no need to hardwire anything. IMHO, it's the best of both worlds. No need to pay for a PDR that you would likely use just a few times a year. This would be a FREE system.

Those that want for street duty are out of luck though...as initiating it would be an annoyance on a regular basis.
The camera in just about any phone is not going to be as good as something like a GoPro (i.e. as good as a built-in dashcam could/would/should be) for HD video quality, though. Plus, built-in dash cams would probably offer pretty good sound. From what I've seen, the Corvette one does. They can get the help of audio engineers to put the microphone(s) in just the right place(s) with much more precision than we could with our own devices. The camera mount will obviously be more stable if it is internal, too. I've gone off track before and had my camera knocked crooked.

And of course you're right about lack of usability day to day, too.

I'm not saying there would be a huge demand for it, but I would think for a sports car, there would be enough to make it worthwhile. I'd be interested to see how many of Vettes Chevy sells with the PDR (do they offer it in the Camaro, too?). If the demand doesn't justify the supply, then that's pretty disappointing (and surprising) to me, as someone would be very interested in that feature. Depending on how well it was done, I might pay as much as $1K for it, personally.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
The camera in just about any phone is not going to be as good as something like a GoPro (i.e. as good as a built-in dashcam could/would/should be) for HD video quality, though. Plus, built-in dash cams would probably offer pretty good sound. From what I've seen, the Corvette one does. They can get the help of audio engineers to put the microphone(s) in just the right place(s) with much more precision than we could with our own devices. The camera mount will obviously be more stable if it is internal, too. I've gone off track before and had my camera knocked crooked.

And of course you're right about lack of usability day to day, too.

I'm not saying there would be a huge demand for it, but I would think for a sports car, there would be enough to make it worthwhile. I'd be interested to see how many of Vettes Chevy sells with the PDR (do they offer it in the Camaro, too?). If the demand doesn't justify the supply, then that's pretty disappointing (and surprising) to me, as someone would be very interested in that feature. Depending on how well it was done, I might pay as much as $1K for it, personally.
In all reality, the camera in your cell phone is going to be comparable in quality as a go-pro or PDR. If you want a different zoom or perspective, buy one of the many available optical lenses for your phone.

As for the camera mount...if you can trust a go-pro mount on the outside of your vehicle driving 100+mph, why can’t you trust one to hole your camera inside of the vehicle?

The other beauty of using a phone and app is, it is much more readily updatable. The camera is updateable. You can likely add an external mic if you want. Because it would be app based, it would be much more updateable (tracks, extra features etc.) You can instantly edit an upload your data, share it, stream it etc.

Quite frankly, the only thing a built-in system provides is a valet mode video record, and the ability to more easily record every driving encounter.

Dragster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
What the hell is with the space underneath the front of the headlights? It looks terrible IMO...

Also, that stripe is woeful, but at least it helps take up some of the empty space on the hood. The scoops look like they're set so far apart otherwise.

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01/'09/'19 Bullitt, '90 GT, '00 Corvette FRC
The video that was posted in the Crimson Red 2018 topic really highlights how the EcoBoost grille makes a HUGE difference in appearance of the 2018 because it doesn't have the fangs.
I am envisioning this grille without the pony and a thin chrome or satin aluminum accent around the lower and side edges on a 2018 Bullitt :)

I have to say I do like it on the 2018, although I am a fan of the fangs.
Sponsored