Sponsored

Tinted lights?....cops?

Stormtrooper5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GTPP
I really want to murder out my car. All i need to do it get the smoked tint kit from AM and I'm set...problem is I'm not sure if i can get pulled over for it. I've seen tinted lights on many cars on the road. Will this be a problem for me?
Sponsored

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
In Cali?! I wouldn't. It always depends on the state and even the area. There are some things they'll pull you over for quick and some secondary offenses that they will ticket you for if they pull you over for a primary offense. I'm not sure where you are if that is a primary or not. Put red or blue lights visible from the front or rear of your car and they will pull you over quick. Tint on the lights isn't bad if you can still see the lights clearly. Headlights, they are more strict.

Semi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
79 ford f250 7.5l/2015 gt pp ruby red
Wondering the same thing but also concerned about visibility.

Blk2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
I wouldn't worry too much about cops with just slightly smoked taillights. Honestly most have better things to do these days; and at worst you get a warning to remove them and show the police and all is good.

What to be worried about is if you get rear ended and person behind says couldnt see your taillights because of the tint (true or not); and guess who is on the hook out of pocket for their car repairs AND person who (likely) negligently hit you?

I wouldn't. I did at first and peeled the tint off as soon as I read more about it. Most states have laws about tinting tail or headlights and how far away they must be visible from.

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
One of those film tint kits purports to have the same illuminated visibility even when tinted.

Sponsored

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)

West TX GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
2018 Royal Crimson GT
I haven't tinted the headlights yet (I decided to try it and will apply it tomorrow) but I have tinted every other light and marker. I used Anchor Room, the lighter of the two tail light films. Even with the tint all lights are brighter than many stock cars on the road. Unless they are a mustang person they would probably think the lights came the darker color. At night with the lights on no one will notice. After I try the headlights I'll let you know if visibility is diminished.

Phormz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2016 V6 Mustang
I have the Full AM Tint Kit on my car and in my experience during the day the lights and everything look darker but its not like completely black or anything. At night with the lights always running/on you cant even tell the difference. Also during the day if you brake or turn on DRLs the lights are just as bright. I have had them on for months and never had any trouble.

Rickycardo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT auto
I was one of the first in my area to buy an S550 and the first thing I did was tint the tail lights. As the first 2015 anyone saw I wanted them to see the tail lights tinted and believe it was a factory thing.
I've also argued on here about the misinformation of being rear ended with tinted lights and it being your fault. As I've shown before most state laws say nothing of tint and only specify that brake lights must be visible from 500 feet. I went out and did the work and showed that tinted brake lights are visible at that distance and that the vast majority of rear end collisions are caused from following too closely and distracted driving.
Do what you want, just don't spread misinformation.
Lights 522 Feet.jpg
Lights off close.jpg
Lights Off.jpg
Lights on close.jpg
Lights On.jpg

Sponsored

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for saying that. That is exactly the way I interpret it and in Maryland, that law is only 300 ft. I don't rely on what others say, I do research. I looked up the Maryland law on lighting in general.

xXANCHORMONXx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Here's the analogy I like to tell people when they ask about tinting their headlights or tail lights.

When you go to the store to buy a flashlight do you buy the brightest one or do you buy the one that looks the coolest because the lense is murdered out?

I will never understand why anyone would jeopardize the safety of themselves in regards to headlights to look "cool".

Fordever

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS Convertible
Here's the analogy I like to tell people when they ask about tinting their headlights or tail lights.

When you go to the store to buy a flashlight do you buy the brightest one or do you buy the one that looks the coolest because the lense is murdered out?

I will never understand why anyone would jeopardize the safety of themselves in regards to headlights to look "cool".
The other side if that is, I will never understand why anyone would jeopardize the safety of themselves by installing blinding light bars on their vehicles to look "cool". :cool: Jesus, some of those are blinding.:frusty:

Not saying anyone is right or wrong, just another point of view...:D

Just my $0.02

West TX GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
2018 Royal Crimson GT

But if they output the same amount amount of lumens (or even very slightly less) why would you buy the ugly one? If someone isn't going to see you with the tint they aren't going to see you without it. With that kind of reasoning we should all drive the yellow mustangs because the dark colors aren't visible enough.

Blk2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
The other side if that is, I will never understand why anyone would jeopardize the safety of themselves by installing blinding light bars on their vehicles to look "cool". :cool: Jesus, some of those are blinding.:frusty:

Not saying anyone is right or wrong, just another point of view...:D

Just my $0.02
I agree but realize the OEM lights are a certain brightness for a reason; to meet ALL state's legal requirements and for safety.People also seem to think everyone out there has 20/20 and the perfect night vision of a 20 year old. What about 80 year old grandma who doesnt see too well at night? The OEM lights on newer cars are bright for a reason. They give the person behind you an "oh sh*t that's bright" reaction if they aren't fully paying attention and could prevent an accident that didn't need to happen.

Will it prevent ALL accidents so why not just tint them? No, that is a red herring argument to support one's decision to tint taillights. It would be ridiculous to assert it prevents ALL rear end collisions. Hey it's your car that will get smashed up and in the shop for 6 weeks, not mine!

The assumption that oh this website sells a kit so it must legal or not distort light output is also flawed as the visibility standard is different in every state.

If you have $10 or $20 grand sitting around for attorney's fees and expert's fees to litigate the issue with your insurance company when they deny coverage because you KNOW you are right, then by all means tint away. Insurance companies are already looking for any way to deny claims as is as they are not in the business of paying out claims.

Some states (like here) are 1,000 feet; and that is assuming you can define "visible at" as that can be a subjective standard in itself. You can see the slippery slope you go down to litigate.

Like any mod, pay to play you are taking some level of risk. OEM lamps you have 0% chance of visibility claim issues. But hey Im an attorney so I LOVE when people make poor decisions and then have to fork over their cash when they get sued (right or wrong it WILL cost you out of pocket to defend) so.....

Do whatever you all want you're all adults but the online "experts" who tell you to not worry about it etc aren't going to pay your repair and legal bills.
Sponsored

Last edited: