Sponsored

Detail gone wrong!

MidnightGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
So, I had a company detail my car (I'm sure you want pics) and the "buffing" guy really messed up my black paint. I have a 2015 GT. When I say he messed it up, he left swirls from one end to the other. And my car had only minor wash scratches in it and I wanted a mirrored finish.

It was a cloudy day when done, but it was done in a detail shop. I didn't notice until I left because it was dark at this time but I called the owner and went to his house that night where he had detail lights in his garage.

The owner was very apologetic, wouldn't let me pay anything, and wants me to bring the car back Monday to be fixed.

My question: Should I give these guys another chance? I mean, I feel like so many things had to go wrong for a company to mess my car up as bad as it is. The owner said his buffing guy had been there for 10 years. It almost makes me sick to think about taking my car back. I'll try to get pics when I get off work. What would you guys do?
Sponsored

Rambl3r

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 PP GT
Yikes, man. I don't think I would risk him try to fix it. I'd rather look for a reputable detailer.

HISSMAN

Large Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT/PP Premium
I had a similar issue with my 04 cobra. Had it detailed with results like yours. He said he would fix it. I let him try, and he burned through the paint in multiple areas. I ended up having to have the whole car repained. Yeah, it was that bad.

BTW, this guy is supposed to be one of the best in my area...

OP
OP

MidnightGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
That's a tough one. I would take a lot of photos for proof, before and after. I had a friend where the same thing happened. They even came back out to "fix" it but still didn't do a good job and eventually had to bring to me to correct all the mistakes.

Guessing they probably were using a Rotary polisher and left buffer swirls in the paint. Unfortunately, clear coat amount is finite and each polish reduces the amount left.

If they are confident they can correct it, then make sure you have the proof in case they make it worse!
You are correct man! Although I am no expert on buffing/ detailing, it seems a rotary and not a DA was used, and you can see where he spent more time sitting in one spot.....

I'm all for letting someone fix their mistakes, but I sure don't want to end up with a total paint job by letting them attempt to "fix" it.

OP
OP

MidnightGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Yikes, man. I don't think I would risk him try to fix it. I'd rather look for a reputable detailer.
This guy is supposed to have an excellent detailing business and I know a few who have gone with success, including my friends new black c7, which is the whole reason I went to them in the first place....so maybe it was a series of unfortunate events? Like i mentioned before, I just don't want it to get worse.

Sponsored

nappynick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
'16 Oxford White GT PP
You can honestly do it yourself, yes I know it sounds challenging, but put on some good tunes and get the right stuff and you will have it back to looking mirrored before you know it. Not only that, you will give it that special TLC that some lack...!!

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
I would ask your money back and take it to a different place.
Once damage is done it's done. You don't want the paint to get burn though.

PatrickGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
Like it or not, whoever fixes it is going to have to "burn" through more paint in the correction process.... which, ultimately, is fine as long as you keep it sealed/coated/waxed.

ghostnote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2015
Without looking at pics, it's hard to tell. Two scenarios could happen here: 1) something went horribly wrong and the clearcoat is FUBAR, in which case you need a respray, or 2) there's a large amount of marring that reflects a significant amount of light.

If it is #1, then something went horribly bad. Not even the most aggressive cutting compound leaves "scratches," per se. At least, not like those that happen when you wash the car with a dirty mitt. So barring anything that would point to ridiculous incompetence (such as if the detailer dropped the pad on the floor and later polished the car with it), it can be fixed.

Let me ask you, if you run your fingernail across the paint, does it "catch" often? If it just feels like its a bit rough, then your clearcoat is likely just marred and can be fixed.

In order to save some money, I would ask that the shop fix it with me present. That job would first entail the use of a DA in an inconspicuous section, using something on the level of Scratch X or Sonax Perfect Finish. Those are jeweling compounds that do not really remove clearcoat. If that removes the scratches, then godspeed. Otherwise, the fix is going to involve rubbing compound which will remove clearcoat. If it reaches that point, you need to reassess.

AZStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium /Performance
If he couldn't do it right the first time...

Sponsored

Coconut

Poptart
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Magnetic manual
You probably went to one of those volume car wash places where they offer $100-150 "polish" jobs. They usually have either 1 or 2 guys work on your car with a rotary buffer. One setting, one speed and go to town on your car, all over. They use a wax with a bunch of filler so it looks but once you take it home but after a week or two you'll see all the buffer trails or "halograms".

That place would not be able to fix it. They don't have the right equipment or experience to do it right. You'll need to have a professional do at least a 2 stage correction, which would be around ~$300+.

S550ilver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
You probably went to one of those volume car wash places where they offer $100-150 "polish" jobs. They usually have either 1 or 2 guys work on your car with a rotary buffer. One setting, one speed and go to town on your car, all over. They use a wax with a bunch of filler so it looks but once you take it home but after a week or two you'll see all the buffer trails or "halograms".

That place would not be able to fix it. They don't have the right equipment or experience to do it right. You'll need to have a professional do at least a 2 stage correction, which would be around ~$300+.
I agree. Take it to a place with the proper experience and equipment to do the job right. Had this place had both of those criteria, your car would look perfect. I would not let them "fix" it. They should have not jacked it up in the first place had they actually known what the hell they were doing. Get your $$$ back if possible and use that towards a PROPER paint correction. You wont regret it.

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
They are also the places that will set a pad on a dirty floor, pick it up and go to work without cleaning or replacing it.
Sponsored