Sponsored

exhaust quieter after tune

kanga80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Hey all, just a quick question. Is it normal for an exhaust to be quieter after a tune? I loaded in my tune from lund last night and it started just fine, no errors. Then this morning I start up my car to head to work, but the roar is noticeable quieter on a cold then it had been the past couple days. It was revving up to 2200ish on a cold start then it would go down, but now it doesnt even break 1500 on cold start. Also my corsa xtreme seems quieter until I hit 3K RPM, then it comes to life :headbang:.

Thoughts? Am I just being dumb?:shrug:
Sponsored

zuki_dan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang GT Premium M6 TY
Exhaust can sound different with a tune if they have adjusted the cam timing in the tune.

With a tune they can also tame down the cold start even more and only be loud for about 2-3 seconds until the engine builds oil pressure in the cam phasers.

I noticed when I went from my Lund tune NA to Whipple's tune with the blower my exhaust got louder and it also has a louder pop on deceleration. Lund tuned my cold start down and now with Whipple's tune it is back to being a long loud cold start.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
I've noticed with different tunes my exhaust sounds different. Stock, Bama, Lund.. they all make it sound different to my ears. Now when I run E85 it sounds different more smooth.

WestCyril

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 5.0
Stock tune has a very high rpm cold start in order to get the cats and oil up to temp quicker. Tuners typically change/turn this off..

Sponsored

Jn2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Yes, I do this to all my tunes...I raise the cold start retard limit to the ECM can go into idle spark much faster...negative timing during cold starts causes exhaust to be super loud.

Sasuketr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GTPP
Hey all, just a quick question. Is it normal for an exhaust to be quieter after a tune? I loaded in my tune from lund last night and it started just fine, no errors. Then this morning I start up my car to head to work, but the roar is noticeable quieter on a cold then it had been the past couple days. It was revving up to 2200ish on a cold start then it would go down, but now it doesnt even break 1500 on cold start. Also my corsa xtreme seems quieter until I hit 3K RPM, then it comes to life :headbang:.

Thoughts? Am I just being dumb?:shrug:
No that doesn't sound right! On cold start mine is almost the same as stock tune, revvs higher till the engine is warm enough. Did you datalog your tune and its dialed in? My first revision the car was running little rich and they had to adjust that.

OP
OP

kanga80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
No that doesn't sound right! On cold start mine is almost the same as stock tune, revvs higher till the engine is warm enough. Did you datalog your tune and its dialed in? My first revision the car was running little rich and they had to adjust that.
Negative, I have not datalogged my tune to ensure it is dialed in. Do you have a good guide on how to do that properly.

Sasuketr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GTPP
Negative, I have not datalogged my tune to ensure it is dialed in. Do you have a good guide on how to do that properly.
Find some safe stretchy road and do a couple of 3rd gear wide open throttle pulls all the way from 2000 rpm to 7200 rpm, and record some log data. I don't remember the entire parameters you need to record but here are some listed below;

Load
Fuel trim bank 1 and 2
Throttle Angle
Knock
A/f ratio's
Spark timing 1 and 2
Rpm
Speed
Lambda 1 and 2 ( this might be same as fuel trim bank i dont remember)
Mass air flow

swami

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt
when i went from steeda 93 octane tune to a steeda cai that required a tune my exhaust got quieter except for when i kick it. now it revs to 7500rpm easily. i don't like going way over factory redline but it wanted to keep going to 8000.
Sponsored