Trading up to GT. 400a or 401a?

4orceFed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT PP Equip.Group 400A
Just my .02...I have the 400A package. It has navigation and ambient lighting. So the only thing on your list that I don't have is memory seats, BLIS and the Shaker.

Memory seats. Don't need them, if you're the only one driving the vehicle

BLIS. Great system, awesome to have, but never owned a car where I didn't look over my shoulder before I changed lanes. Declared a "want" as opposed to a "need"

Shaker. I love music and kind of wished I had this, even though it's not as good as aftermarket systems. Problem is...these cars seem hard to put new stereos into. Limited by head unit and proprietary connections (at least from what I've read here in the forums). Also, stereo will be one of the last mods I do to my GT. Performance, exhaust and handling are way more important to me. When you have a car that sounds as great as the Mustang, you find yourself wanting to hear the exhaust note instead of music.

BUDGET and availability. This was it for me, a daily driver that had to be on the lot, in the color I wanted. Everything adds up and if it doesn't fit in the budget, it, unfortunately, has to go.
Sponsored

timd38

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT/CS C6 Corvette
Nav is not 401a. It's separate. I have 400a with Nav.
I am pretty sure 401a is Shaker Pro with HD radio, BLIS, memory seats.
Ambient light is standard with premium package.
Don't you have to get the 401A to get the California Special?

Ctease

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I think you answered your own question. You only value the radio upgrade. So is Shaker Pro worth ~$1,800? Nope.

Gman

Gman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic Mustang
Any aftermarket sub will sound a million times better then any shaker sub.

Trust me I know. First mod I ever did I stall a 12 JL AUDIO and I have a 400a car

Sponsored

Fordever

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS Convertible
Memory seats. Don't need them, if you're the only one driving the vehicle
You are correct, but what I like about memory seats is the easy entry/exit function that comes with it. That, to me, is worth the extra $$$.:thumbsup:

MedStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Guard GT PP 401A
BLIS, memory seats and shaker did it for me. Shaker sounds a lot better than base. Some say it not worth it. But for me...:thumbsup:
^^^

Wasn't really looking for a car with 401a, but the one the dealer found with the other options I wanted had it, so I didn't mind it.

OP, sounds like you've answered your own question. 400a seems like it would be enough for you.

Semi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
79 ford f250 7.5l/2015 gt pp ruby red
^^^

Wasn't really looking for a car with 401a, but the one the dealer found with the other options I wanted had it, so I didn't mind it.

OP, sounds like you've answered your own question. 400a seems like it would be enough for you.
Same here and I wouldn't have ordered 401a new but now that I have it I wouldn't order a car without it.

Yeah the sub sucks, it's tucked in the sidewall of the trunk. Every sub I've ever owned took up the whole trunk.

I'll live with not having to remove the sub to take a trip, I do want to get a little more bass back there.

Think about it, 1800 is a ton of money but you're keeping your hands on the wheel.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I didn't want 401a but it was all I could find. I was happy that I got it.

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2016 Mustang GT Premium 401a
I have 401a, and am glad I ended up buying a car with it. BLIS is great. It makes changing lanes so much easier but the best part is the cross traffic alert. The Mustang sits low, so backing out of a spot can be rough if you have an SUV or truck parked next to you. I didn't even know the Mustang had it until I was backing out of a driveway a few weeks after I bought it. The 12 speakers and sub are nice for a factory system. When you think of it, the 401a is only like an extra $30 a month.

Sponsored

Semi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
79 ford f250 7.5l/2015 gt pp ruby red
I have 401a, and am glad I ended up buying a car with it. BLIS is great. It makes changing lanes so much easier but the best part is the cross traffic alert. The Mustang sits low, so backing out of a spot can be rough if you have an SUV or truck parked next to you. I didn't even know the Mustang had it until I was backing out of a driveway a few weeks after I bought it. The 12 speakers and sub are nice for a factory system. When you think of it, the 401a is only like an extra $30 a month.
I didn't even realize blis was exclusive to this package, that's almost worth 1800 all by itself.

Amazing how far away it senses vehicles coming.

Rock&Roll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Stick- 2022 VW GTI Stick -2011 HD Fatboy
Hello,

I'm planning to upgrade to a GT soon and can't seem to decide whether I should go with a 400a or 401a.

401a includes all 400a features, but also has:

- BLIS (I kind of prefer integrated mirrors)
- Memory seats (neat, but not required)
- Shaker Pro
- Navigation (I would use google maps integration most of the time)
- Ambient lighting (Would be nice, but my color will do)

The only real thing that sways me is the Shaker Pro. I read up some threads about it and it seems to have 2 camps. I understand it's not as good as an aftermarket upgrade, but for a factory upgrade is it worth getting 401a package?

What were your reasons to stick with 400a or get 401a?
Love the BLIS. It has saved me twice from getting hit

Never used the Memory seat.

Shaker Pro is so much better than the stock system. No Regrets on that.

I love the NAV on it and the stock Sync 3 screen way better than Apple Car Play screen but ... sometimes the Ford Nav can't find where you want to go or it maps you the long way. Thats when I plug in my iPhone and use Google Maps but thankfully I don't need to do that often.

Ambient Lighting is ok but i could live without it.

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2016 Mustang GT Premium 401a
I didn't even realize blis was exclusive to this package, that's almost worth 1800 all by itself.

Amazing how far away it senses vehicles coming.

Yep, It is for me. The cross traffic sensors work great. I had a car parked on the street just outside my driveway and the sensor still sensed a car approaching from that direction, at a good distance away.

OP
OP

Mustang_Eh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP2
I was just checking the website and it said:

400a:
- ambient lighting

401a:
- Driver’s seat, mirrors, and ambient lighting with memory feature

How does the memory feature apply to mirrors and ambient lighting?

stang-man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Lightning Blue GTPP
BLIS is nice, but blind spot mirrors(my foucs ST had them) do they same thing
Shaker and HD radio are nice
Memory seats are a nice touch.
Your spending 40K on a GT premium what is another 1.7 for some nice touches
I had to have it!!!
Sponsored