Sponsored

Light rotors: Worth it?

valentinoamoro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 TY Mustang GT
Has anyone installed lightweight rotors and are they worth it (is the improvement noticeable)? In general, I'm a fan of reducing unsprung weight. If it's rotating unsprung even better. Other forms of weight loss usually have bad compromises and in such a heavy car doesn't really make sense.

Along those lines I've got lightweight wheels and tires. I was hoping rotors would be a good upgrade for the front.

I found Giro Discs (hideously expensive) that claim a decent reduction. (about 18 pounds total fron the front).

http://www.girodisc.com/Girodisc-Fr...stang-GT-with-Performance-Package_p_6658.html

Baer which claim a reduction but dont quantify how much (at a better price).
http://www.americanmuscle.com/baer-eradispeed-plus-front-rotors-pp-1517.html

Morris engineering seemed to have produced lightweight rotors for the last gen, but nothing this gen. Price was great.
https://www.morrisengineering.com/mustang/

Any others?
Sponsored

5LITERV8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
Baer which claim a reduction but dont quantify how much (at a better price).
The front is about 10 pound reduction per wheel and the rear is about 6 pound reduction per wheel. So in total you are looking little over 30 pound weight reduction. Not sure if you can feel any of that as I have never done lightweight rotors but they look really cool so this is definitely on my to do list.

DivineStrike

Doomsday
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GTPP, 11 F150 FX4, 07 CBR600RR
OP
OP
valentinoamoro

valentinoamoro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 TY Mustang GT
The front is about 10 pound reduction per wheel and the rear is about 6 pound reduction per wheel. So in total you are looking little over 30 pound weight reduction. Not sure if you can feel any of that as I have never done lightweight rotors but they look really cool so this is definitely on my to do list.
I would do fronts only...the car has a lot of weight over the front axle. Also a LiOn battery would probably be a reasonable way to lose some weight as well.

Sponsored

ghostnote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2015
That, plus lighter wheels and tires are the way to go. There's already a massive benefit when you leave the stock boat anchors behind. I went from PP wheels to MMR M350's and that was about 10lbs per wheel. And, from the Pzeros to MPSS that's about another 2-3lbs per wheel. Dropping close to 50lbs rotating unsprung mass is really freaking noticeable.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
You can definitely *feel* 20 pounds of unsprung and rotating mass removal from the front of the car. It's hard to really explain how it feels, but it's a great thing to do.

Now is that really worth 1,000 bux...well that's really up to the individual user. I personally would not but rather spend that money on lighter wheels which help even more.

EcoSwag1990

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GT
The OP already has some of the lightest wheels available. I've been considering them for over a year now lol. Also what did it take to be able to run a square set-up? I feel like it was over complicated in the thread I read

I don't think I would bother with the rotors for the cost. You will likely be satisfied after installing the wheels and springs

armykyle1 [HACKED ACCOUNT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP premium
There are other benefits. One being that the brakes should cool quicker and supposedly it helps make your wheel bearings last longer.

Sponsored
OP
OP
valentinoamoro

valentinoamoro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 TY Mustang GT
There are other benefits. One being that the brakes should cool quicker and supposedly it helps make your wheel bearings last longer.
To be fair I have not had any issues with PP brakes, on track or off.
Also, I have never heard anyone have problems with wheel bearings.

I would do this strictly to reduce weight and improve the feeling of lightness.

OP
OP
valentinoamoro

valentinoamoro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 TY Mustang GT
The OP already has some of the lightest wheels available. I've been considering them for over a year now lol. Also what did it take to be able to run a square set-up? I feel like it was over complicated in the thread I read

I don't think I would bother with the rotors for the cost. You will likely be satisfied after installing the wheels and springs
I believe the 5mm hubcentric spacer (for the fronts) from Amazon that I purchased is all I will need to run the square setup 19x9.5 with 285/35s. We will know soon enough, my wheels/tires have arrived and I have rented a lift to install them (and do some other minor suspension work like fix my BMR sway bar end link grease boots which split due to a manufacturing defect from the supplier).

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
If you're actually tracking the car, rotors become "consumables" / "wear parts" and will need replacement from time to time. You might get 10 events from a set of fronts, maybe even 15. Or only 5 or 6.

Something to keep in mind.

Norm

armykyle1 [HACKED ACCOUNT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP premium
To be fair I have not had any issues with PP brakes, on track or off.
Also, I have never heard anyone have problems with wheel bearings.

I would do this strictly to reduce weight and improve the feeling of lightness.
I haven't heard of problems either, one company was using that as a selling point.

OP
OP
valentinoamoro

valentinoamoro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 TY Mustang GT
If you're actually tracking the car, rotors become "consumables" / "wear parts" and will need replacement from time to time. You might get 10 events from a set of fronts, maybe even 15. Or only 5 or 6.

Something to keep in mind.

Norm
Thanks Norm. It seems the Giro Disc rotor system for example is pricey, but the rotor replacements themselves are not. The weight has been shed in the hat and pins, but I might be wrong.

It would suck to get these and shed 10 pounds a piece, and when it comes to changing rotors find switching to a non Giro-cast iron rotor brings most of the weight back. When I buy I will probably call them up to see if their Rotor is much lighter and if so by how much and what it costs (as you correctly mentioned, its a consumable)
Sponsored