Sponsored

Die hard Manual guys get in here!

metalhead79

That thang got a Hemi?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
My 97 GT was an auto. I put in a high stall torque converter and street/strip valve body then had it tuned to fim up the shifts. It was always fun to drive. The 1-2 shift would kick the rear sideways at WOT. But something was always missing....

Now I'm driving an EB and while it's not as powerful (for now) as my GT was, it's more fun to drive because I'm actually involved in the driving experience.

I like the engagement in driving a manual brings. I don't intend to drive an auto again until manufacturers stop making manuals.
Sponsored

Rock&Roll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Stick- 2022 VW GTI Stick -2011 HD Fatboy
I would never buy a Auto car if Manual is a option.

Muscle car with a automatic ? Might as well buy a Camry.

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
So I will be purchasing a new 2018 gt PP this fall and am kinda torn about this new 10-spd auto coming out. Hearing about all of the camaro stories and expecting that the auto will be quicker (not to mention this getrag i have now 2011 GT has been the worst manual I have ever owned) has me leaning towards the auto for the first time ever since i have been driving sports cars.

Autos have come a long way in the last 20 years and now it looks like they may be converting this die hard manual guy and I am wondering if I am alone or if there is anyone else out there in the same boat.

92 fox gt
01 camaro SS
11 mustang GT / PP
18 Mustang GT ?
I used to prefer the manual. The old autos were slush boxes that reduced your performance, reduced your economy, and were boring.

The new 10 speed will destroy the manual in terms of performance, likely improve economy, and then you're stuck with not shifting for yourself.

Manual shifting has this sort of man and car connection thing going on. But in my opinion it's s but overrated.
Especially if you drive the car often or as daily driver. A menu in traffic just plain sucks. There is no way around it.

So... for performance, get the 10 speed.
For convenience, get the 10 speed.

If you feel some need to shift yourself, weight the pros and cons.

What's it most value to you.

Just as one mustang guy to another, the performance and convenience will always be rewarding. You'll never be sorry about those. But in the case of the manual, you may find yourself very happy at first, followed by that feeling wearing off, followed by some regret that performance was left on the table, followed by getting stuck in traffic for hours, wishing that you'd bought the 10 speed.

Plus, TEN GEARS!

Just my opinion.

But sometimes you need someone else's counsel when you want something so bad, you can almost taste it, even though it may not be the best decision for you.

In the end, you should choose what YOU value most and then be content and happy with that choice.

PJR202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP Shadow Black
It doesnt matter if it's 100 speed auto...it's an auto. If you like to shift, row the gears. If you want the faster of the two, go with an auto. If you don't care about 1/4 mile performance, go with the manual.

airfuel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not a Bullitt
I raced a guy for pink slips who was driving an auto and lost. (I had manual)

My wife was really pissed when she had to pick me up.

Guess I should buy an automatic next....if my wife lets me buy a car again.

(Sarcasm alert) buy what you want but I'll have a manual in my Mustang please!

Sponsored

Chumley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT350, '18 GOLF R, '09 BMW 335
Not sure more gears is necessarily better. I get the argument, but having driven 8 and 9 speed autos, unless you intervene, you're in 3rd gear and it's looking to up-shift before you hit the end of your driveway!

GGordon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, ProCharged
So I will be purchasing a new 2018 gt PP this fall and am kinda torn about this new 10-spd auto coming out. Hearing about all of the camaro stories and expecting that the auto will be quicker (not to mention this getrag i have now 2011 GT has been the worst manual I have ever owned) has me leaning towards the auto for the first time ever since i have been driving sports cars.

Autos have come a long way in the last 20 years and now it looks like they may be converting this die hard manual guy and I am wondering if I am alone or if there is anyone else out there in the same boat.

92 fox gt
01 camaro SS
11 mustang GT / PP
18 Mustang GT ?
I don't drive my car competitively, so the marginal ETA increase means nothing to me. Plus, the new 10spd transmission has a 50hp drivetrain power loss in rear wheel horsepower over the manual. I haven't seen if this new transmission is faster than a manual yet... because that new transmission is a power hog and I don't know if the quick shifts overcome for the reduced final power ratings.

Sure, the new autos will provide quicker shifts than the MT-82 6spd manual (the 15+ 6 spd drives nothing like the sloppy '14 and previous). However, a good driver still loses a lot of precise engine control with an automatic. I love the driver engagement you get with driving a manual. Even the new 10spd is still just an automatic that will sometimes shift when you don't want it to (even with the paddles engaged) and, well, you can't transbrake up to a red light to scare imports with an automatic. So there's that :)

I grew up being told by my grandpa, "No man drives a car with a granny tranny." Sorry, but I hear his voice in my head every time I see an automatic in a sports car.

Manuals are also about 3 grand cheaper to buy, new. Also cost less to fix if something goes amiss down the road.

15wile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
I love manuals, buy my '15 MT-82 is absolute crap to shift until it has been running more than 15 minutes and everything is warmed up. Notch, clunk, notch, clunk... After it is warmed up I actually enjoy it.
Maybe it's more of a problem in cold climates. Here in Florida, not so bad. No notch at all. Only does the clunk if cold, and even then only the first time shifting 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd. Then gone. And clunk can be mitigated by letting out the clutch rather slowly on the first two shifts.

5pointOh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 Ingot Silver "Millennium Falcon" @falcon_s550
the 10 speed is going to be faster down the strip, faster around the road course and probably get 2-3 MPG better highway and 1-2 better city than the manual. There is no human that can shift faster than the new 8 spd or 10 spd autos, plus they benchmarked the 10spd against the Porsche PDK which is the gold standard in auto transmissions right now. I'm in the same boat as you, if I was buying a 15-17 then I'd get the manual but Im on the fence with the 18.... I cant wait to see some driving impressions and numbers between the two.

GGordon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
Maybe it's more of a problem in cold climates. Here in Florida, not so bad. No notch at all. Only does the clunk if cold, and even then only the first time shifting 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd. Then gone. And clunk can be mitigated by letting out the clutch rather slowly on the first two shifts.
That's more a problem with that piece of crap stock clutch. Until it gets warm, it is very... harsh. To alleviate that clunk, start it, let it idle and depress the clutch and release it quickly about 10 times. That will cycle the fluid in the clutch and warm up the clutch friction pad and keep it from slipping... which makes that harsh shift / clunk business.

On the same day, I added a ProCharger, shifter, clutch/flywheel, exhaust and IRS halfshafts. That was also the day I bought the car :p. I also owned a 2014 at the time, so I knew what I didn't like and what had to go.

Sponsored

GGordon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
the 10 speed is going to be faster down the strip, faster around the road course and probably get 2-3 MPG better highway and 1-2 better city than the manual. There is no human that can shift faster than the new 8 spd or 10 spd autos, plus they benchmarked the 10spd against the Porsche PDK which is the gold standard in auto transmissions right now. I'm in the same boat as you, if I was buying a 15-17 then I'd get the manual but Im on the fence with the 18.... I cant wait to see some driving impressions and numbers between the two.

Ya, but that 50hp loss is pretty significant. That's a bit over 10% net power loss.

gtaindetail

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Not much to add but this - I am part of several FB groups where people regularly talk about how a 1LE is 20k cheaper than a GT350, and faster around a track. Both true... and if I was 20 years old again I might care. For me, the same applies to a manual vs a DCT or auto. Around any real road course the difference between an Auto, DCT, and manual is going to come down to the driver. I suspect not many of us are good enough drivers that the transmission will ever play a real role in how "fast" we are. Get the car you have the most fun it. For me, that's always been a manual.

foghat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
Ya, but that 50hp loss is pretty significant. That's a bit over 10% net power loss.
Do you have a source for that number? Seems high.

Either way, if the auto is faster all around, the additional power loss is somewhat irrelevant, no?

minjitta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Explorer
When Manual getting old then this is the perfect time to get auto
Sponsored