Sponsored

What's my best option...

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Deep Impact Blue GT/AT
I have been looking into ceramic coatings recently, and I have been researching and have some mixed reviews. Some people say it's worth it and others say it's a bit of a gimmick. Either way I'm nor to keen on the idea of paying that much money for something like that.

Here is my situation, I live in an apartment building with no covered parking. I live in Northern Virginia where is rains sometimes and snows every once in a while. What I am looking for is something that I can apply to to three times a year (Or less) that will keep my car looking the best it can. Am I better off getting an entry-level ceramic coating (6mo - 1 year warranty) with no 9H coating or what are my other options. I want the least amount of upkeep possibly as my job doesn't allow for that kinda time and I don't have a garage or a place to wax
Sponsored

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2016 Mustang GT Premium 401a
I have been looking into ceramic coatings recently, and I have been researching and have some mixed reviews. Some people say it's worth it and others say it's a bit of a gimmick. Either way I'm nor to keen on the idea of paying that much money for something like that.

Here is my situation, I live in an apartment building with no covered parking. I live in Northern Virginia where is rains sometimes and snows every once in a while. What I am looking for is something that I can apply to to three times a year (Or less) that will keep my car looking the best it can. Am I better off getting an entry-level ceramic coating (6mo - 1 year warranty) with no 9H coating or what are my other options. I want the least amount of upkeep possibly as my job doesn't allow for that kinda time and I don't have a garage or a place to wax
They make sealants that you can apply yourself. Chemical Guys Jet Seal for example is supposed to last up to 12 months but I haven't tried it yet. I generally wax my car with Chemical Guys Wet Butter wax about 4 times a year and use a spray wax as upkeep in-between the waxes. I like the Butter Wax because it can be applied outside, in the sun, and even on a wet car. I also don't have a garage so my car is outside all the time. If I were you I'd use the Jet Seal and whenever you get a chance throw a coat of wax on it for a deep wax shine. I also bought a cover, when it's supposed to snow, like today, I throw the cover on it.

Salt Ninja

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2015 Mustang GT Premium with 50 Years Pkg
I live on a dirt road in a wooded area so there is always dust flying around and debris from the trees. I also have a black S550 so it is hard to keep clean. I wash it just about every week. I just purchased some Black Light and Butter Wet Wax from Chemical guys to put on this weekend. Recently had the car detailed, swirl marks removed, waxed at $145. Turned out really well, but would love to find something to keep dust from sticking so much.

I can wash my car and dust immediately rushes to that decklid. It's like a dust/dirt magnet.

CrummyArchitect

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joey
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium, PP, 401A, "MGNETO"
I will chime in here by stating that I'm in the exact same situation as you - live in an apt, car sits outside 24/7 - and that I like to keep it clean, and I too have considered the ceramic coating route and even though I have good connections to a couple places that do it in my town, its still over $1000 to do a whole car. And I just cant justify that cost knowing how I can maintain a good looking car for way less.
And basically that's using the same products the other guys mention. So I've had my car 2 winters now, and around October I have clay barred and polished and applied CG Jet Seal. This most recent time I polished with CG Blacklight and got amazing results (only for dark cars). But the Jet Seal has made the paint hold up to the winter weather quite well, and extremely easy to clean when the first warm day rolls around. And like they said Jet Seal is suppose to last about 12 mo, and all I do is maintain it with CG V07 spray detailer, and in the summer I use CG Wet Butter Wax too (usually in the spring, and once late summer) and I get amazing results. I have yet to get any swirl marks, and I do regular rinseless car washes in between when I can, and bucket washed in the warmer weather (with very minimal trips thru auto washes). But this pic below was from a couple weeks ago (so middle of winter but it got up to mid-60s here in MO) so I just ran to the car wash and washed it with soap, rinsed, and dried it off and this is how it looked:
[/url]DSC_0024 by Joey Crum, on Flickr[/IMG]

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2016 Mustang GT Premium 401a
I have a black car also, and it loves dust. I clay bar the car and polish it once or twice a year. If you keep the paint waxed and clean the dust should come off easily, generally just driving around will clean it off, or you can hit it with a leaf blower to blow the dust off. Buying a black car means you will be spending a lot of time and money on polishers, waxes, sealants, clay.... :D

Sponsored

Labradog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Guard Metallic
The prices they're quoting you are for the entire detail process, specifically for the time spent in paint correction before applying the coating. There are quite a few companies that sell ceramic coatings that you can do yourself. Personally, I don't mind waxing monthly and re-applying sealant every 3-6 months.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Deep Impact Blue GT/AT
Yeah I understand that waxing and polishing a couple times a year is a huge deal and believe me, I WOULD LOVE to be able to do that. I don't have the faculties to do so. If I did I would be all over the tools and the materials to do so. Just looking to get something done because I can't do it myself

RubyRed216

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Ruby Red
Something like this could work...
http://adamspolishes.com/adam-s-ceramic-paint-coating-kit.html
I am fortunate enough to have a garage but I daily my car in the Cleveland area so I decided to use a paint sealant and wax. They work pretty well after it rains or if there is light dust on my car I use a waterless wash it's super easy to use especially when it's cold. I haven't used any of the chemical guys stuff but Adams polishes is super easy to use with the videos and I have loved the results.

PatrickGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
You'll get a full 12 months of outdoor storage from CQuartz UK Edition, rain and snow and all, and it's about $70 for a bottle. Properly prep the paint and it goes on like a dream. I've written a huge step-by-step post about paint prep already so searching may be beneficial to you.

ghostnote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2015
Six months ago, I used Collinite 845 over the entire vehicle. A week ago, it was still beading water like crazy and retained a significant amount of shine even after washing. When I say "significant," I mean truly noticeable.

Although I just reapplied it, there was honestly no need to. The product is simply insane, and even crazier for the price.

Mind you, I used to do the Klasse twins (All in One + Sealant Glaze). I shit you not, Collinite gives you the same protection, for the same time, with greater beading. Also, it's easier to apply. I haven't used Klasse since.
Sponsored