Sponsored

MGW GT350 shifter - second run

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
I just got back home from a three day stint in Georgia. The purpose of my visit was to help George at MGW Shifters get his GT350 ready for a track day at Roebling Road Raceway. Among the items addressed, one was to install the latest version of his shifter for the TR3160 in the GT350.

There has been a small percentage of owners that have contacted George about a change in the NVH characteristics after swapping out shifters. To alleviate most any concern, George has been hard at work identifying potential trouble areas and addressing them via sound engineering principles. The results spoke for themselves during rigorous testing this past weekend.

I should probably mention that George and I have had an endless number of discussions about a GT350 shifter, starting before the car was even released. MGW had one of the first TR3160's Ford would sell to the public and that includes purchasing a few factory shifters for dissection and evaluation. The challenge from the beginning was to create a single axis shifter and to eliminate the factory pendulum-style design altogether. Anyone can polish up a pendulum unit, shorten the trow, and sell it to the public. I highly suspect that is what you will see shortly from his competition. The problem with the TR3160 is that the internal shift gate is opposite that of say, an MT82. In other words, an MT82 shift rail moves in the opposite direction when you move the shift handle to the left or right. The TR3160 rail needs to move in the same direction. This required a clear mind, a sharp pencil, and some rolled up sleeves.

Alternative ideas were explored. In the end, George was able to make it work via a double pivot. The design was refined and tested for some time, culminating in the release of his first run. I have on my own car the first unit produced after one was whipped up for George's own GT350. I've been completely satisfied with mine as I have with his other shifters in the past. I thought it might be a good idea to share the dual pivot design to show everyone just how it works. George wanted to wait. Well, this time I was successful and as such George agreed to put together a cutaway model to illustrate his unique design. Shown in the following video is (at first) an MT82 shifter, followed by the TR3160 with a sliced up GT350 shifter that allows you to see just what I've been talking about.

[ame]

Contrast all of the above with comparison of the factory pendulum unit. Here George shows some of the downfalls of the factory unit including it's lack of precision, poor sphere/race design, and flimsy reverse lockout that also serves to lockout forward moving gears too.

[ame]

The dual pivot design now being proven and incredibly robust, George never stops refining where he can. As I mentioned, the focus on the second run has been on lightweighting where possible and to better control any potential resonance.

New unit on the left.

0127171352_HDR-Edit.jpg

You can see where material has been removed and how the arms have changed.

0127171353_HDR-Edit.jpg

0129171014_HDR2-Edit.jpg

A couple of quick videos to clarify the changes.

[ame]

[ame]

If you are a current GT350 shifter owner that experienced an NVH issue George has a solution for you in order.

[ame]

If you have any questions by all means, ask. I can say with full confidence that his shifter meets the highest of expectations. My original MGW GT350 shifter has been flawless and takes everything I can throw at it in stride. His latest unit is no different. A full day of track testing, err thrashing, at Roebling yielded nothing but quick, crisp, shifts under some pretty demanding conditions. The two (plus) hour drive each way was quiet and vibration free.
Sponsored

FAST FRED

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2020 F-150 ROUSH,2019 GT350R,2021 GT500
for posting this and good luck to you guys at the track.

Fred

OP
OP
Epiphany

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hey Fred.

I will say this - as good as the GT350 is, it was tough getting out of George's McLaren and then into the Shelby. George was hitting ~170mph on the straight at Roebling whereas the GT350 really needed encouragement in order to reach ~144mph on the same section.

I asked George if there was anything he didn't like about the Mclaren. He stared at me and made a shifting motion with his hands. As crazy as the 570S is, I actually think he had more fun toying with the GT350 out on the track. He's pretty darn good at banging a shift and getting the greatest return out of the car.

0128171039a_HDR-Edit.jpg

OP
OP
Epiphany

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
George has some other interesting stuff lined up as well including different shift balls. He is doing some interesting stuff with the gripper style pieces, including changing the coins to laser burned aluminum or stainless pieces. I've been talking to him about doing a custom center wheel cap that uses the GT350's snake. I was like a kid in a candy shop when he led me to the room where he laser etches them. In no time he sat down in front of a computer, turn the vacuum system on, and started burning a snake into a solid stainless coin. Check these videos out (be sure to raise the resolution up as high as you can go)...

[ame]

[ame]

He pulled the coin out and popped it into a new ball. The results are pretty darn impressive! Note this was a "quickie" and as such you see some light scuffing that you won't see on finished units.

0127171142a_HDR2-Edit.jpg

0127171144_HDR-Edit.jpg

0128171305a_HDR-Edit.jpg

Sponsored

FAST FRED

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2020 F-150 ROUSH,2019 GT350R,2021 GT500
Hey Fred.

I will say this - as good as the GT350 is, it was tough getting out of George's McLaren and then into the Shelby. George was hitting ~170mph on the straight at Roebling whereas the GT350 really needed encouragement in order to reach ~144mph on the same section.

I asked George if there was anything he didn't like about the Mclaren. He stared at me and made a shifting motion with his hands. As crazy as the 570S is, I actually think he had more fun toying with the GT350 out on the track. He's pretty darn good at banging a shift and getting the greatest return out of the car.

0128171039a_HDR-Edit.jpg
Very cool Tob,
you guys be safe. I am planning on going back to Utah for some fun and to hone my skills.
Fred

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
Man, I really do have to get one of these, every time I see a thread on them I get the itch :lol:

Zombo

befejezett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack - Race Red, Blk Roof - G5405
Man, I really do have to get one of these, every time I see a thread on them I get the itch :lol:
Me too, but I'm having a tough time justifying it, even though I like the sound of those crisp shifts!

To all here, regarding the first gear pop-out "issue", which I've experienced on occasion, is it the consensus that it's a shifter issue, gearbox issue, or just user error?

TheDeadCow

Just some guy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Hot Rod
Vehicle Showcase
Great write up Tob!

And once again, I wanna buy that shifter............right after I get some caliper studs.

TheDeadCow

Just some guy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Hot Rod
Vehicle Showcase
Me too, but I'm having a tough time justifying it, even though I like the sound of those crisp shifts!

To all here, regarding the first gear pop-out "issue", which I've experienced on occasion, is it the consensus that it's a shifter issue, gearbox issue, or just user error?
I've only had it happen to me twice within the first approx 200mi. I'm going with user error/non-positive shifting.

Sponsored

dron_jones

Threads
Reaction score
Fell into a pot hole in Michigan and can't get bac
Vehicle(s)
Me crazy, and I can't help myself
[MENTION=19066]Epiphany[/MENTION]

Can you confirm if you place an order now for a GT350 shifter is he shipping the new design?

50 Deep

Signature Wheel Ford Rep
Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.signaturewheel.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
[MENTION=19066]Epiphany[/MENTION]

Can you confirm if you place an order now for a GT350 shifter is he shipping the new design?
I placed an order a few weeks ago. You have to call and speak to one of their staff to get it done. They will take all your information but will not charge you until the unit is ready to ship. Next batch should be rolling out any day now, and they are only shipping the new ones that are coming in stock shortly.

Thanks [MENTION=19066]Epiphany[/MENTION] for all the communication and knowledge, and [MENTION=10681]MGW[/MENTION] for refining this product and getting it to market. Great to see guys like George that have a passion for the hobby and meticulous about quality

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP

I have had absolutely no issues with my shifter. This is a great mod but just dont feel the need as I have in the past with other shifters
In particular the MT82 shifter. Now as time passes and my shifter just doesnt cut it, I know exactly what I will get to remedy it.

Jumpman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2x ~8,300 RPMs: 08 S2K & 17 GT350
Haven't installed mine yet but I wonder if I can get the upgrade kit so that I don't have to worry about having uninstall and reinstall it if there is a problem...

OP
OP
Epiphany

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Very cool Tob,
you guys be safe. I am planning on going back to Utah for some fun and to hone my skills.
Fred
I'd love to go back to Utah and will if I can. That was a beautiful a beautiful track/facility. Have fun!

Start scratching!

0129171016b_HDR-Edit.jpg

Great write up Tob!

And once again, I wanna buy that shifter............right after I get some caliper studs.
Thank you.

Regarding the stud/shifter argument....both are good choices that benefit the experience. You can't go wrong in either case!:)

Haven't installed mine yet but I wonder if I can get the upgrade kit so that I don't have to worry about having uninstall and reinstall it if there is a problem...
I just got off the phone with George and we talked about this. I think you'll be happy with his response. He'll probably chime in at some point.
Sponsored

Last edited: